2014 May Plugin Sales Discussion : Leaf 3117, Total 12053

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mkjayakumar said:
We are two days into the month, and the suspense is killing me. Tell me the Leaf beat the Volt. Tell me the Leaf crossed the magical 3000 mark.. ?
Apparently, YES !

mkjayakumar said:
We are two days into the month, and the suspense is killing me. Tell me the Leaf beat the Volt. Tell me the Leaf crossed the magical 3000 mark.. ?
According to InsideEVs the answer is yes.
http://insideevs.com/breaking-nissan-leaf-sales-eclipse-3000-units-may/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jhm614 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Considering my prediction was 2990, breaking 3,000 is not possible

Ha! Good Guess, brother!

ok, I admit I thought this would be the breakout month and we would see a record but still hesitated to pull that 3,000 trigger... so I resisted the urge to predict 2999 but could only go so low ;)

Best news, IMO, is that production is finally ramping up closer to meeting market demand:

Nissan blew the doors off all pure electric sales records in May, notching more than 3,000 LEAFs sold…the first time that number has ever been eclipsed for a pure electric vehicle...

In total 3,117 were sold...

“LEAF hit two major milestones in May with 50,000 total U.S. sales since launch and more than 3,100 total deliveries in a month,” said Toby Perry, Marketing Director and Overseas Program Director, Nissan LEAF. “LEAF is poised to take advantage of a market ripe for higher EV sales thanks to a great value proposition, an engaged base of owner-advocates, rapid increases in charging infrastructure in major markets across the country and new tax credits in Texas and other states.”

Surprisingly, Nissan’s Smyrna, TN assembly facility was also able to keep pace with LEAF production during May as national inventories actually rose slightly by months end...
http://insideevs.com/nissan-crushes-sales-record-leaf-may/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Update: LEAF outsold Volt by almost two-to-one in the USA last month:

Chevrolet Volt sales continued an upward trend in May, as 1,684 were sold during the month. Sales have increased for the extended range Chevy in every month so far in 2014.

That result was 9% better than the 1,548 sold last month, and 5% better than the 1,607 sold in May of 2013.

Despite the upward growth trend for 2014, sales still lag last year as 6,838 Volts have been sold so far this year. Which is down 4.5% from 2013 when 7,157 were moved.

As expected, GM continued to produce more inventory of the Volt than there was sales in May (up to about 120 days worth)...

http://insideevs.com/chevrolet-volt-sales-may-2014/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lorenfb said:
Have Tesla sales 'maxed'? Will they even be close to 2013's?

At some point they are going to run out of customers for the Model S. They really need to get that ~$45k model rolling if they hope to continue.

lorenfb said:
Wait time for a Tesla seems to be creeping up. I would not worry about Tesla until they have a 45+ day supply in showrooms.
Of course wait time for USA sales might be extended as more are sent to world markets.

smkettner said:
lorenfb said:
Wait time for a Tesla seems to be creeping up. I would not worry about Tesla until they have a 45+ day supply in showrooms.
Of course wait time for USA sales might be extended as more are sent to world markets.

But Elon has been indicating that production is increasing, right?
If so, where are they going? China maybe 10, other than Norway Europe is 'asleep'.
It's June and where is ground-breaking for 'Giga' and the money (+$2.0B) from Panasonic?

Tesla is building about 600/week and is ramping up to about 1000/week by the end of the year.
There are about 1000 cars "in the pipe" that are being delivered overseas.
The estimates, as I recall, are about half of production for the US and half for the rest of the world.

As for running out of buyers,the luxury market in just the US is 1,000,000/year. I don't expect them to run out anytime soon. The wait list is currently backed up to September.

Zythryn said:
As for running out of buyers,the luxury market in just the US is 1,000,000/year. I don't expect them to run out anytime soon. The wait list is currently backed up to September.

That number is a little skewed because it includes $35k cars as well. How many cars sold in the US are over $60k ?

evnow said:
Zythryn said:

That number is a little skewed because it includes $35k cars as well. How many cars sold in the US are over $60k ?

Tough to find data on that.
Large and mid-sized luxury cars add up to about 500,000. Even if is 300,000, the point is Tesla isn't close to running out of buyers in that price range.

Zythryn said:
Tough to find data on that.
Large and mid-sized luxury cars add up to about 500,000. Even if is 300,000, the point is Tesla isn't close to running out of buyers in that price range.
Not really. Need to add up all the premium cars (all car sales data in the US is available).

In its price range, Model S is already the largest selling model. So, I don't think the numbers we are looking at are like 300k.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2014/01/usa-vehicle-sales-rankings-by-model-december-2013-year-end.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More Leafs sold means the "battery degradation" epic thread will see more activity soon!

Does the 336 i3 sales number mean that half of the electronauts bailed out?

Back