100 Mile Club, 200 km, 300 km, 200 Mile Club (24kWh LEAF)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Tony. The main drive was across town (OKC) and max speed up to 50 mph, but whenever traffic allowed I slowed down and stay around 30 mph. No wind and temp around 75F. I am not sure how it happened that I got around 7 mkWh on my way to furthest destination, because it is slightly uphill. On the way back I was more confident, so I did side trip and bought cheap gas for my other car ($3.53). There is is not that much traffic here so possible to slow down a bit in many places. 50% of the time I had 4 people in the car and rest either 3 or 2 and some load. I use N whenever possible, but according to CW still managed 19.7% regen. Overnight car consumed 17.46 kWh and I am up to 80% again. Main benefit from this is that I got much more confidence what Leaf can do. 7 mkWh is still surprising to me but confirmed by energy use to recharge.

One segment is missing from CW
Electricity Used (Total) (kWh) Electricity Used (Consumption) (kWh) Electricity Used (Regeneration) (kWh) Distance Traveled (mile) Energy Economy (mile/kWh)

1 1.4 0.4 8 8
1.6 1.9 0.3 10 6.5
0.1 0.1 0 0.4 6.5
0.6 0.8 0.2 4.4 7.1
2.4 2.8 0.4 15.2 6.2
0.2 0.3 0.1 1.7 9.8
1.6 1.8 0.2 10.5 6.5
1.9 2.4 0.5 14.8 7.8
0.4 0.6 0.2 3 8.3
1.3 1.7 0.4 7.9 6.2
1 1.4 0.4 8 8.2
1.2 1.5 0.2 8 6.5
0.8 1 0.2 5.7 7.4

Very impressive EdmondLeaf. I've only gotten over 6 miles/kwHr a few times and only for short distances. The lights in your town must be synch. The lights in Dallas are not known for being in synch.

Thank you I still surprised with such efficiency with 80% charge and 100 miles and a bit to spare. Traffic is light in OKC so that will allow you to synchronize light arrival. What I also like is small hills, once I am about 40 mph I can pass many of them on N.

Thank you I still surprised with such efficiency with 80% charge and 100 miles and a bit to spare. Traffic is light in OKC so that will allow you to synchronize light arrival. What I also like is small hills, once I am about 40 mph I can pass many of them on N.

Edmondleaf 7M/KW @ 4300 miles..Dam that is impressive..What is your avg. MPH for the 4300 miles ?

I think you are #1 here for M/KW distance ,your even doing better then me and Leaffan from AZ...

It will be interesting to see what your avg. is @ 10k miles..

mark13 said:
Edmondleaf 7M/KW @ 4300 miles..Dam that is impressive..What is your avg. MPH for the 4300 miles ?

I think you are #1 here for M/KW distance ,your even doing better then me and Leaffan from AZ...

It will be interesting to see what your avg. is @ 10k miles..

I believe the 7 miles/kWh was for his last trip, which is still a nice accomplishment on an entire charge, even avoiding highway speeds.

However, if 7 m/kWh is his lifetime average for his 4300 miles, my jaw will drop! Very, VERY impressive if that's the case.

My lifetime mkWh stand @ 6.0. My 100.1 miles and 7 mkWh is from 80% charge. I do quite a bit of my miles on I35 but against traffic so that helps a lot. My main travel road is completely empty and 2 line so I do not bother anyone. I am always trying to keep my speed above 35 and 55 on the highway. My mkWh improved dramatically recently temp is around 75F right now.

my average is going down. yesterday did my first drive to new job which is 44 miles RT mostly freeway. did have to jump back and forth between locations (3 all together) for the initial employee paperwork, insurance cards (driving) all that stuff. so put in 532 miles yesterday. average 4.3 miles/KW in relatively nice weather. roads were dry, temps in high 40's so a very pleasant day which is a bit out of the norm for this time of year.

in fact today will be the normal off and on light rain which means higher rolling resistance of wet roads will play a factor. i drove relatively sedately on the freeway running between 57 to 63 mph (playing the hills)

but no range issues. made it home with 90 GID!

Today I achieved 111.3 miles on a single charge for the 12th time of breaking the 100 mile barrier. 5.8 m/kWH on both dash and Carwings. Low bat at 91.8; Very Low Bat at 108.9 miles.

In the first 2,778 miles I have logged 1,330 miles while exceeding 100 miles per charge. That is 48% of my total mileage. I am shooting for exceeding 100 miles per charge for 50% of my driving.

110milesonsinglecharge.jpg

Awesome! I like it!

I was quickly reminded how much battery temperature can affect economy. On a particular drive that I've been taking for the past few weeks, in 60-70 weather I get 5.6-6.0 economy on the ~25mile RT. (drives are usually near midnight so I don't have traffic as a factor and all of the lights are good)

Yesterday it rained here and was 40 (compared to 86 the day before). I barely achieved 4.9 on the RT and I barely used the CC for defrost (<5minutes). Glad the weather will be keeping warmer!

TNleaf said:
Yesterday it rained here and was 40 (compared to 86 the day before). I barely achieved 4.9 on the RT and I barely used the CC for defrost (<5minutes).

Was the street wet during your drive?

N1ghtrider said:
I will say, there is a knack to working the throttle pedal so that you maximize momentum and regenerative braking. I learned that with 6 years of driving a hyrid (Honda Civic) maximizing my mpg.

Actually, you will be able to increase your miles and m/kW h if you use "N' as much as possible instead of regen.

drees said:
N1ghtrider said:
The original N1ghtrider just achieved my tenth 100 mile-plus range on a single charge :cool: , with 106.3 miles.
Sooo.... I'm curious. Do you just like to show off your efficient driving or is there some other reason why you don't simply use 80% charges and keep the SOC near the middle of the pack were you will maximize battery life?

Drees, going 100 miles on an 80% charge and only achieving 5.9m/kW h is not efficient driving. When he can ave. 6-4-6.5m/kW h (on the dash) for a whole month, then he will have something to brag about.

LEAFfan said:
Drees, going 100 miles on an 80% charge and only achieving 5.9m/kW h is not efficient driving. When he can ave. 6-4-6.5m/kW h (on the dash) for a whole month, then he will have something to brag about.

You are both well above the average LEAF driver! I would certainly not call either of those economy figures "not efficient".

I second the call to charge to 80%, particularly in the hottest parts of the year. Heat is a battery killer.

LEAFfan

I admire your efficiency. However, I am going for miles-per-charge for a different reason. (More on that below.)

One question I have is about using N instead of regen. Is it better to use N because that allows you to let off the accelerator farther back from the stop than if you were regenerating? It seems to me that if a light turns red just far enough ahead that you need to decelerate immediately, in regen you would at least be making some power, whereas if you coast in N until braking, you are not making any power.

Back to my driving style to optimize miles per charge. I am a soldier in the war against range anxiety; a missionary trying to convert ICE drivers that a LEAF makes sense for normal driving. You and I both have roles in the evolution of motoring. Keep up the good work!

The answer to your question is since regen is some number less than 100% efficient, you only want to use it when required (like an unplanned stop, or for those of us in hilly areas, when stopping on a downhill slope).

Otherwise, plan to let off the gas pedal as soon as possible and use N to roll to a stop.

Only if below 7mph, I think. I never tested that!! I don't use the shift to R technique to get instant N, but instead just hold it to the left for the two or three seconds required.

Back