200 km, 300 km, 200 Mile Club (30kWh LEAF)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyWilliams

For the 30kWh LEAF only !!! For "legacy" LEAF cars (2011-2015) with the 24kWh battery, please use the other thread.

Post your experiences with joining the 200 km Club; that is, driving 200km (124 miles) or more, without a charge. This is not estimated, or thought you could, or maybe you got close.... your car actually powered the wheels for 200km or more without a charge. Your trip must start and end at the same elevation, or end at a higher elevation.

The GuessOmeter (dash readout of range) has nothing to do with this. Please don't even reference what that meter says. Only actual odometer reading. No CarWings data, either.

Tony Williams
200km Club Member Emeritus

200 Mile Club (321.87 kilometer) Club

1 - who will be first?

300 kilometer (186.4 miles) Club

150 Mile (241.4 km) Club

200 kilometer (124.3 miles) Club

TonyWilliams said:
Well, today is the day! How long before the first drive?

It is interesting that a fair number of 30 kWh Leafs are on the road, and not one person has registered a 200 km trip yet.

Why?

Is the Leaf finally just a commuting car, and not the EV wonderthing it once was?

A cultural change? Maybe that's progress. As a commuting car, I love my Leaf. Not sure if I'd try to drive to Edmonton, or to California, or to Maine. Or drive a 100 mile trip on one charge other than mostly by accident.

WetEV said:
TonyWilliams said:

It is interesting that a fair number of 30 kWh Leafs are on the road, and not one person has registered a 200 km trip yet.

Why?

Is the Leaf finally just a commuting car, and not the EV wonderthing it once was?

A cultural change? Maybe that's progress. As a commuting car, I love my Leaf. Not sure if I'd try to drive to Edmonton, or to California, or to Maine. Or drive a 100 mile trip on one charge other than mostly by accident.
I think it's fair to say that the initial excitement among the early adopters over driving an electric car, and using it for roles it's ill-suited for has faded, at least among the frequenters of this site, and people are now using them for what they're good at. Less infatuation, more objectivity.

GRA said:
I think it's fair to say that the initial excitement among the early adopters over driving an electric car, and using it for roles it's ill-suited for has faded, at least among the frequenters of this site, and people are now using them for what they're good at. Less infatuation, more objectivity.

Finding the limits requires pushing the limits. There is a value to this, don't sneer at the early adopters.

However, once you do that, you have done that.

The second 100 mile trip I took in a 24kWh Leaf was almost completely by accident. Driving normally, then had several unexpected trips on the weekend, pushing me over 100 miles and past LBW.

If I owned a 30kWh Leaf, I might get 200 km club by accident. A hot week, with daytime temperatures over 30C, so I wait for the predicted cooler weather to charge, then need to take some unexpected trip...Much like my second 100 mile in a 24kWh leaf.

If I owned a 60kWh Bolt, Leaf2 or similar, with perhaps a 350km range, it would seem unlikely that I would ever exceed that by accident.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
Finding the limits requires pushing the limits. There is a value to this, don't sneer at the early adopters. <snip>
Not sneering at them - BTDT, albeit with RE rather than EVs. It's a normal evolution.

I would guess that people who were super EV enthusiasts already have an EV that works for them and they weren't necessarily chomping at the bit to go out and buy a brand new car just to get a 25% increase in pack size. Especially with the 100% or 150% increases in pack size coming in the next year or two.

And it can be a real hassle to test it to the full limits. I had my 2015 for months before I got around to doing the 150 mile drive. It was a bit tedious to spend that time driving around for hours as well.

If I had a 30kWh, I would probably go for 200miles. But that's a lot of time expended.

WetEV said:
TonyWilliams said:

Why?

I have a 2016 30kWh. I think it would be capable of a 200k trip. I've driven 98 miles and had 20 or so miles left on the meter and this was normal driving speeds not trying to max the range.

To answer the why question I bet it's the time involved that makes people not bother with it. EVs are starting to be normal cars for people and less of a novelty or fringe experiment. May be most folks don't have anything to prove and just use the car as designed. To get the ranges in the topic title one would have to drive extremely slow and carefully. You won't be going over 40mph and I suspect even less would be required. They places to do that are limited these days without disrupting regular traffic. So the act would have to be a test rather than normal driving.
I suppose if you were just using the car in town and never went much over 30 mph over a few days you could reich that kind of range. Not sure if that qualifies for this club.

Fo me the Leaf works exactly the same as the gas car it replaced. I have a 64mile round trip commute and can do that on an 80% charge with miles left when I get home. This is running the interstate @ 65mph both ways with the climate control on. I sometimes hit LBW when I get home but that is fine cause I'm home. This is from 80% remember. If i charge to 100% and use the slower roads I have plenty of charge to be able to run some errands at work as well.

I have taken the car on a 360 mile round trip in one day. Montpelier VT to Boston MA. I went 55 mph on the interstate. Two QC stops and a L2 each way. Obviously a bit longer than a petrol car but not a huge inconvenience. As i only do a trip like that a couple times a year having the normal range of the car fit my daily driving needs works great and the car is affordable. Soon to change but since I leased I expect when the lease runs out there will be higher range cars for a similar price as the 2016.

Back