100 Mile Club, 200 km, 300 km, 200 Mile Club (24kWh LEAF)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N1ghtrider said:
In other words, for 41% of the miles I have driven, I attained more than 100 miles per charge.

Well thats not 100% of your driving, so obviously Nissan lied. Note for you humor impaired greenies, this is heavy sarcasm.

102.2 for me this evening:

20120322211654_IMG_0739-2.jpg

Just drove to and from work with the exception that I tried to minimize freeway miles -- prolly did about 20 freeway miles keeping it around 55 MPH, sometimes more, sometimes less.

Averaged 5.5 m/kWH.

According to the reverse SOC table, I still had at least 10 more miles left. Although, I haven't got so much faith in that chart as the low-battery warning does not reliably come on at 17hours (for 80%) for me. It's usually sooner than that for me.

foobert said:
Averaged 5.5 m/kWH.

According to the reverse SOC table, I still had at least 10 more miles left. Although, I haven't got so much faith in that chart as the low-battery warning does not reliably come on at 17hours (for 80%) for me. It's usually sooner than that for me.

How many miles did you drive on Low Battery Warning at 5.5m/kWh ?

foobert said:
10 miles on LBW.

You still had a mile or two to go on LBW, and six or seven on VLB.

By the way, the warnings are indexed to a set number of watt/hours left in the battery (49 Gid x 73 Wh available per Gid = 3577 watt/hours), which is about 17% of 21 kWh available to you in standard conditions.

Therefore, I presume that as the battery ages, and has 50% capacity, or 10.5 kWh available at 100% charge (and showing all 12 Fuel Bars), you should still have the same available energy at LBW (even though it will be 34% of capacity!).

From VLB, assuming that your cells are balanced properly (I'm not sure how that might work out with a seriously reduced capacity battery), you should be able to go half the distance you went in LBW. The math for reported Gids doesn't work very well at the low end of the battery power.

Good job.

I am not sure how you guys manage to get these fantastic 100+ range and 5.5+ miles/Kwh.. The best I have got so far is 94 miles range at VLB at 4.8Kwh and all that doing city driving at around 30 to 40 mph .

One would think that if my energy efficiency for that trip shows 4.8 Kwh, then if I got 94 miles at VLB, then the usable capacity of the battery is around 94/4.8 ~= 20kwh only. Hmmm...

Does that sound right ..?

mkjayakumar said:
I am not sure how you guys manage to get these fantastic 100+ range and 5.5+ miles/Kwh.. The best I have got so far is 94 miles range at VLB at 4.8Kwh and all that doing city driving at around 30 to 40 mph .

One would think that if my energy efficiency for that trip shows 4.8 Kwh, then if I got 94 miles at VLB, then the usable capacity of the battery is around 94/4.8 ~= 20kwh only. Hmmm...

Does that sound right ..?
At VLB you have about 1 kWh before turtle. So add 1 kWh to your 20 kwh and you get 21 kWh - right on target!

Thanks, Tony. I was worried for a little while that perhaps if I am missing a few cells :)

But that also means that the 24kwh capacity we keep hearing and reading everywhere is all just academic. For the consumer it is only 21 !

mkjayakumar said:
But that also means that the 24kwh capacity we keep hearing and reading everywhere is all just academic. For the consumer it is only 21 !

24 kWh capacity is correct, it's known that Nissan is protecting the top and bottom %'s of the battery capacity. It's been calculated that 20-21 (possibly up to 22 kWh) is usable. (usable including into LBW, VLBW, and turtle mode).

I am not sure how you guys manage to get these fantastic 100+ range and 5.5+ miles/Kwh..
Anytime I've stated my personal bests, I've clearly stated my driving conditions. I rarely use the interstate (since my daily commute to work doesn't require it), and driving on 30-45 mph roads it is easy to achieve high economy figures compared to driving 70mph+.

mkjayakumar said:
Thanks, Tony. I was worried for a little while that perhaps if I am missing a few cells :)

And, probably a bit less, at colder battery temperatures.

edatoakrun said:
mkjayakumar said:

And, probably a bit less, at colder battery temperatures.

Our current rule of thumb could get a good dusting off with the upcoming LEAFscan data!!! But, for Texas, you'll never see much more than a few kWh lost to a cold battery. I currently calculate 1% loss of battery capacity per 4F in temperature loss below 70F. So a 21kWh usable capacity battery might have a 10% loss in capacity at 30F, so about 18.9kWh available from a 100% charge.

In addition to that loss, you must add in all the energy used by the heater !!!

Range severely suffers in an electric car in the cold. The good news is that the battery actually gets a bit larger in the hot summer, up to about 22kWh. The air conditioner is much more efficient that the heater!

mkjayakumar said:

Check out my range chart in the link at my signature line. I think that will help with understanding.

I was able to squeeze out 100 miles yesterday (mostly city driving) here in Colorado... now that the temps are warming up... I am hopeful I will have more of these kind of days...

Attachments

• Leaf-100.jpg
    Leaf-100.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 62
mkjayakumar said:

That does not sound right to me. I have achieved more than 100 miles on a single charge 9 times, and more than 200 km three times, with the same sort of mostly city driving at 30-45 mph in warm weather. I will say, there is a knack to working the throttle pedal so that you maximize momentum and regenerative braking. I learned that with 6 years of driving a hyrid (Honda Civic) maximizing my mpg.

I keep the Carwings energy info gauge running that shows my current m/kWh, and try to keep the green bar between 6 and 8 as much as possible. Keep trying and you too will break 100 mpcharge.

batzman said:
I was able to squeeze out 100 miles yesterday (mostly city driving) here in Colorado... now that the temps are warming up... I am hopeful I will have more of these kind of days...

Congratulations, Batzman. Welcome to the club. You will love the t-shirt (Tony, are you still sending those out?).

N1ghtrider said:
Congratulations, Batzman. Welcome to the club. You will love the t-shirt (Tony, are you still sending those out?).

I've sent out t-shirts for all kinds of stuff, but the free ones are tapering off.... sorry. I'd be happy to sell one at a reduced price.

Thank you.... glad to be part of the club.... So is there a shirt or do I need to pay some? What does the shirt look like?

Back