Nissan To Install 500 More Quick Charge Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Publius said:
drees said:
Latest list, adding Cerritos Nissan.

Dealers underlined are operational, along with green markers on Google map linked at bottom.

Carson Nissan 1505 E 223rd St Carson, CA 90745
Cerritos Nissan 18707 Studebaker Road Cerritos, CA 90703
Connell Nissan 2850 Harbor Blvd Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Fontana Nissan 16444 South Highland Avenue Fontana, CA 92336
Glendale Nissan 727 S Brand Blvd Glendale, CA 91204
Nissan of Downtown LA - 635 West Washington Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90015
Nissan of Elk Grove 8590 Laguna Grove Dr, Elk Grove, CA 95757
Power Nissan of South Bay 14610 Hindry Ave Hawthorne, CA 90250
Universal City Nissan 3550 Cahuenga Boulevard West Los Angeles, CA 90068

Google map of all locations: California Nissan QC Stations

Color me jealous. I feel like I live in the Stone Age compared to what I'm seeing going on in CA.

Agreed

^^^
It's too bad that almost all of the above are in So Cal.

The only one that's Nor Cal in the last is Elk Grove but that's not in the SF Bay Area.

Publius said:
Color me jealous. I feel like I live in the Stone Age compared to what I'm seeing going on in CA.
And I envy Oregon and Texas.

Looking at the EV Project report of number of enrolled vehicles may give a proxy of QC demand. A rough proxy: many EV's are not enrolled in the project, Volts lack QC capability, and not all Leafs have QC capability (though all EV Project ones do). Looking at plugshare.com gives a rough count of QC supply. Then in EV project areas we have:

Texas: 243 cars, 37 QC, 7 cars/QC
Oregon: 643 cars, 46 QC, 14 cars/QC
Arizona: 470 cars, 14 QC, 34 cars/QC
Tennessee: 910 cars, 18 QC, 51 cars/QC
Washington: 991 cars, 19 QC, 52 cars/QC
Los Angeles: 662 cars, 10 QC, 66 cars/QC
San Francisco: 1730 cars, 10 QC, 173 cars/QC
San Diego: 887 cars, 2 QC, 444 cars/QC

Here in San Diego plugshare isn't counting the new Escondido station perhaps because the Blink has been on the blink since it was installed. And I counted EVoasis San Juan Capistrano station as being in the LA area since it's closer, rather than in San Diego. Actually it's probably one of the most valuable QC stations in the country since it ties LA and San Diego together. But still, even if you counted those two stations San Diego would still be the most underserved market in the EV Project areas, at 222 cars/QC.

Whine. Weep. ....and maybe hope?

drees said:
Latest list, adding Cerritos Nissan.

Dealers underlined are operational, along with green markers on Google map linked at bottom.

Carson Nissan 1505 E 223rd St Carson, CA 90745
Cerritos Nissan 18707 Studebaker Road Cerritos, CA 90703
Connell Nissan 2850 Harbor Blvd Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Fontana Nissan 16444 South Highland Avenue Fontana, CA 92336
Glendale Nissan 727 S Brand Blvd Glendale, CA 91204
Nissan of Downtown LA - 635 West Washington Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90015
Nissan of Elk Grove 8590 Laguna Grove Dr, Elk Grove, CA 95757
Power Nissan of South Bay 14610 Hindry Ave Hawthorne, CA 90250
Universal City Nissan 3550 Cahuenga Boulevard West Los Angeles, CA 90068

Google map of all locations: California Nissan QC Stations

Nissan of Downtown LA -635 West Washington Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90015 - is having a grand opening of their Quick Charger on April 27, 2013 http://www.plugincars.com/la-nissan...opening-new-fast-charger-location-126962.html My feeling is that it will be operational sometime before the 27th.

The Quick Charger at Carson Nissan has been removed. Wow, that didn't last long!!

They said it wasn't installed properly. They hope to have it up again soon.

walterbays said:
Looking at the EV Project report of number of enrolled vehicles may give a proxy of QC demand. A rough proxy: many EV's are not enrolled in the project, Volts lack QC capability, and not all Leafs have QC capability (though all EV Project ones do). Looking at plugshare.com gives a rough count of QC supply. Then in EV project areas we have:

Arizona: 470 cars, 14 QC, 34 cars/QC
Tennessee: 910 cars, 18 QC, 51 cars/QC
Washington: 991 cars, 19 QC, 52 cars/QC
Los Angeles: 662 cars, 10 QC, 66 cars/QC
San Francisco: 1730 cars, 10 QC, 173 cars/QC
San Diego: 887 cars, 2 QC, 444 cars/QC

There are many LEAFs with QC ports who are not part of the EV project, and many of these use QC regularly. I have heard 80% or more of all LEAFs have QC. The Los Angeles area, for example has several thousand LEAFs, so 66 cars/QC is much too low. Usage of QC is regional, not local, which complicates analysis.

Here's some charging data from my QC at Connell Nissan in Costa Mesa CA on Saturday, 4/13/13:

Car data upon arrival at charger:
Charge bars: 2
GOM: 18 mi
% Gids: 28.4
Gids: 80
SOC%: 34.7 (Gidmeter)
Voltage: 368 ( Gidmeter)
Pack Temp Bars: 5

Charging Data:
Elapsed charging time: 23 min, 36 sec
Indicated % charge on charger display when I terminated charging: 85%

Car data at end of charge:
Charge bars: 9
GOM: 68 mi
% Gids: 71.5
Gids: 201
SOC%: 77.1 (Gidmeter)
Voltage: 381 (Gidmeter)
Pack Temp Bars: 6

Notice that at 85% SOC on the Nissan QC display, my Gidmeter read only 71.5% Gids and 77.1% SOC.
This over- optimistic charge display behavior agrees with my (limited) previous experience with QC equipment and reports by others. This is probably common knowledge for those who frequent QCs, but with the increase in availability of QC at dealers, there will be lots of drivers who are new to the QC process and who might tend to under-charge for their needs based on the display on the QC readout.

tbleakne said:
There are many LEAFs with QC ports who are not part of the EV project, and many of these use QC regularly. I have heard 80% or more of all LEAFs have QC. The Los Angeles area, for example has several thousand LEAFs, so 66 cars/QC is much too low.
Yes, that's what I meant by using EV Project numbers as a "proxy" for total numbers.
walterbays said:
E.g., if Texas has 243 EV Project cars plus 2430 cars not in the project that's 72 cars per QC; and if Oregon has 643 EV Project cars plus 6430 cars not in the project that's 154 cars per QC. The big assumption is that the enrollment percentage is similar in different regions of the EV Project. If that is true, then the relative ratios remain the same, i.e. Texas and Oregon are much more fortunate than San Francisco and San Diego. Which I expect, due to the California PUC's EV hostile regulations on demand charges.

tbleakne said:
There are many LEAFs with QC ports who are not part of the EV project, and many of these use QC regularly. I have heard 80% or more of all LEAFs have QC. The Los Angeles area, for example has several thousand LEAFs, so 66 cars/QC is much too low. Usage of QC is regional, not local, which complicates analysis.
Well, LA and San Diego areas kind of merge together into a single region, particularly if we get a few more great locations like EVoasis' San Juan Capistrano. And Washington and Oregon might be another region. But I don't think anyone is going to drive between San Francisco and LA with the existing QC network.

e-mail from Paul Scott - Downtown LA is operational.

Three hours ago. We've had about four people use it so far.

It's available from 7:00 AM - 8:00 PM Monday through Saturday and 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM on Sundays.

It's free for the first 90 days, then we decide whether to charge and how much.

Cool! I'll check it out!

cwerdna said:
^^^
It's too bad that almost all of the above are in So Cal.

The only one that's Nor Cal in the last is Elk Grove but that's not in the SF Bay Area.

I thought someone here on the forum was trying to help get a QC installed at the Nissan dealer in Gilroy. Did that ever happen?

mxp said:
I thought someone here on the forum was trying to help get a QC installed at the Nissan dealer in Gilroy. Did that ever happen?
South County Nissan in Gilroy is only 15 miles from me and I hadn't heard of that. I'd be very surprised if they were interested, actually. They don't seem at all enthusiastic about EVs. Their lone public charging station is by the front door and usually blocked by some gas hog they are trying to sell.

Tesla, on the other hand, is going all out in Gilroy. Maybe we'll have to wait until Phil figures out how to make a Tesla to CHAdeMO adapter. I'll bet Elon Musk would go ballistic (without even needing a Falcon) if that happened!

Ray

planet4ever said:
Tesla, on the other hand, is going all out in Gilroy. Maybe we'll have to wait until Phil figures out how to make a Tesla to CHAdeMO adapter. I'll bet Elon Musk would go ballistic (without even needing a Falcon) if that happened!
On that note, there's a huge thread at http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/7107-Likelihood-of-a-CHAdeMO-adapter-for-the-Model-S" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; re: "Likelihood of a CHAdeMO adapter for the Model S ".

There are numerous other threads because Elon supposedly tweeted there would be one for Japan or something like that. I've not seen an URL of screenshot of a tweet from him saying that though...

But, that type of adapter likely wouldn't help Leafers and would only let Model S drivers use CHAdeMO.

But yeah... you're probably right about Elon going ballistic if Leafers were able to use Tesla's Superchargers for free. :D

planet4ever said:

Let's be clear... a Model S/X adapter to CHAdeMO is pure theft. I'm confident somebody will do it sooner or later, and I hope Tesla prosecutes.

walterbays said:
But I don't think anyone is going to drive between San Francisco and LA with the existing QC network.
Certainly not advised unless you don't care about capacity loss. It appears that capacity loss is already more than fast enough in Southern California without the stress of freeway driving + multiple QCs. I wouldn't suggest more than 2-3/day at the most - certainly stop once you get to 7 temp bars and see if you can dip your pack in a river or something...

Anyway, I updated the Google map in my earlier posts with the latest info I could glean from this thread, let me know if I missed anything.

drees said:
I wouldn't suggest more than 2-3/day at the most - certainly stop once you get to 7 temp bars and see if you can dip your pack in a river or something...
:lol:

Perhaps Nissan should install one of these near each QC station:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmNHSxWMl7E[/youtube]

RegGuheert said:
drees said:
I wouldn't suggest more than 2-3/day at the most - certainly stop once you get to 7 temp bars and see if you can dip your pack in a river or something...
:lol:

Perhaps Nissan should install one of these near each QC station:
That's exactly what I was thinking of. :D

cwerdna said:
planet4ever said:
On that note, there's a huge thread at http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/7107-Likelihood-of-a-CHAdeMO-adapter-for-the-Model-S" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; re: "Likelihood of a CHAdeMO adapter for the Model S ".

There are numerous other threads because Elon supposedly tweeted there would be one for Japan or something like that. I've not seen an URL of screenshot of a tweet from him saying that though...

But, that type of adapter likely wouldn't help Leafers and would only let Model S drivers use CHAdeMO.

But yeah... you're probably right about Elon going ballistic if Leafers were able to use Tesla's Superchargers for free. :D

There is, IIRC, a video of Elon saying that the S would be able to access "Every" fast charge standard, but the recent CHAdeMO envy post below seems to contradict that statement.

Vander:

...You are right- there are already LOTS of CHAdeMO chargers about every 40 miles on many of the highways here in WA as well as OR as a part of the "green highway" and I am told in much of Europe and Asia as well. They are in public lots by burger stations, etc, and available 24/7. Being able to access them, instead of just the slow speed adapters included with my car would make trips to the airport / city, etc infinitely more convenient. In speaking with Tesla customer support last week, I was told that "there are no current plans to create a CHAdeMO adapter for the S" in spite of the enormous benefit that it would provide for people like me that have a CHAdeMO infrustructure already in place...

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/7107-Likelihood-of-a-CHAdeMO-adapter-for-the-Model-S/page57?s=436736d841fffd6fc72f968a4edb00d9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BTW, since Crown motors Nissan in Redding CA has the only J1772s for ~100 miles in either direction on I-5, S owners (apparently-never seen one there myself) occasionally take advantage of Crown's free charging for all policy.

If Crown were to install a CHAdeMO, and an S's started to use it for multi-hour sessions to top-off their ~85 kWh batteries, blocking my LEAF's charging, I would not be happy...

Back