Nissan To Install 500 More Quick Charge Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Herm said:
GregH said:
It is nice though that the Nissan DCQC chargers up to full (if you're willing to wait).. Was somewhat annoyed that Blink only goes to 72-73%

Just move over to an L2 station, just as fast and you dont tie up the only fast charger available.. I'm glad they are charging for the service.
Yes and no.. From about 90% to full there's not much difference between the DCQC and the onboard 3.3kW charger, but from 72% (Where the Blink stopped), there still would be plenty to gain at 5-20kW on a DCQC over the onboard charger. Granted it would be rude to hog a DCQC if someone is waiting and you're already down the onboard charging speeds.

Agreed that it's good they are charging for the charge. I'd rather pay a few bucks and know it's there then have to wait behind a bunch of people just looking for free juice...

Not sure if Connell's customer loyalty thing is linked in with other dealerships.. my guess is no.. I have a similar card from Tustin Nissan where I got my car but I think it's a different system :( Hopefully I'm wrong about this.

GregH said:
It is nice though that the Nissan DCQC chargers up to full (if you're willing to wait).. Was somewhat annoyed that Blink only goes to 72-73%

Blink latest software takes you all the way to 12 bars, not quite 100% but pretty close.

Valdemar said:
And guess what, I got a reply via e-mail from Universal City Nissan today. It is interesting they are not getting a Nissan/Sumitomo unit. Still this is great news. If someone is interested in more information the contact there is Andy Maleki, Internet and Fleet Director.

Yes, we are getting a DCQC port station installed at Universal City Nissan. Aerovironment is the contractor and we are about 60 days away for installation if not sooner. Please let me know if there are any other questions that I can help you with.
Just to clarify, AV is Nissan's designated rep for the Sumitomo DCQC, so that is what Universal is getting. An interesting arrangement, since AV has been selling their own DCQC design as well. See Paul Scott's post above, indicating that AV has decided not to compete with the Sumitomo unit. Hopefully it is robust enough. We need units much more reliable than the Blink units have been.

Actually, Nissan of Mission Hills will be getting one. Since they are near the junction of the 405, 118 and 5, Nissan very much wants one there. Bad news is it will only be open during business hours.

Valdemar said:
Today I called a bunch of dealerships along 101 from Universal City Nissan to Santa Barbara, and sadly no one had plans to install DCQC, including Nissan of Mission Hills and First Nissan in Simi Valley.

TomT said:
Actually, Nissan of Mission Hills will be getting one. Since they are near the junction of the 405, 118 and 5, Nissan very much wants one there. Bad news is it will only be open during business hours.

Valdemar said:
Today I called a bunch of dealerships along 101 from Universal City Nissan to Santa Barbara, and sadly no one had plans to install DCQC, including Nissan of Mission Hills and First Nissan in Simi Valley.

I must have spoken with a wrong person. I wouldn't be surprised if there were other false negatives in my sampling, as I mentioned dealership staff's awareness about the subject is very disappointing.

garygid said:
Is the QC at Carson Nissan available and functioning?
Has anybody actually used it?

I read that it is usually blocked.
This weekend I spent some time charging on L2 at each of 3 different dealerships. Sometimes the spots were blocked, but in each case my experience is that they were willing to move the cars promptly at my request. A significant advantage of dealership charging compared to other venues.

camasleaf said:
GregH said:

Blink latest software takes you all the way to 12 bars, not quite 100% but pretty close.
That's great news! I look forward to finding an updated Blink in the wild..

drees said:
By the looks of this list we have less than 10 of the 500 Nissan promised back in January.

Sure would be nice if Nissan would give us an update on where they are at on this. How many more are under construction, does anybody know ?

TomT said:
Is this really a surprise to anyone???
KJD said:
By the looks of this list we have less than 10 of the 500 Nissan promised back in January.
No one expects these things to be installed overnight, but it does look like a rather slow start. A list of sites under construction and a list of sites to start construction soon would be nice.

By the looks of this article at Inside EV's coverage in Japan and Europe is pretty good. USA not so good.
http://insideevs.com/chademo-reports-2501-charging-stations-worldwid/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TomT said:
This is great news! We also very much want one in this area because it will allow drivers from the high desert to conveniently get enough charge to climb back up the mountains to their homes. The return uphill trip from the San Fernando Valley is certainly possible with current J1772 units, but hardly practical due to the long charge times.

HighDesertDriver said:
This is great news! We also very much want one in this area because it will allow drivers from the high desert to conveniently get enough charge to climb back up the mountains to their homes. The return uphill trip from the San Fernando Valley is certainly possible with current J1772 units, but hardly practical due to the long charge times.

I was recently curious if I could make it from SFV to Palmdale on a single charge taking the 14. It is not that far but a fairly long uphill drive there. How do you manage?

garygid said:
Is the QC at Carson Nissan available and functioning?
Has anybody actually used it?

I read that it is usually blocked.

Just charged there yesterday. The charger is just to the right of the entrance to the service garage. It is in a great spot. You need to go inside the showroom or the service office to get someone to swipe the machine to start the charge.

The charger that is usually blocked is the one to the far right. Also take what you read on Recargo and Plugshare with a grain of salt. It's sometimes a forum for people just to gripe. IMHO, I don't really feel I have a right to complain about an EV station that is not available, esp if it's FREE.

Valdemar said:
HighDesertDriver said:

I was recently curious if I could make it from SFV to Palmdale on a single charge taking the 14. It is not that far but a fairly long uphill drive there. How do you manage?

I have some mountain experience, having driven up to Idyllwild twice. To assess the feasibility of this route, I generated an elevation profile from I210-I5 junction to Palmdale Blvd, using the TopoProfiler App.

IMG_0116-XL.png

37 miles, 2.0kft of gain. A rough calculation suggests you could make it:
40% for miles
18% for elevation
10% capacity loss
12% hidden reserve

80% total

20 level miles margin

This estimate is based upon the following conditions:

55-58 mph
40 lbs/in^2 tire pressure
no more than 10% loss of battery capacity
NO WIND. This might be the biggest risk for this route. Perhaps there is a time of day when wind is calm ?
Gid Meter or other SOC readout highly recommended. With it, I can track my progress vs plan and slow down or turn back if conditions change.

The only charge opportunity in route that Plugshare shows is a single station at Kohls at mile 6, which is not worth it.

While doable, I fully understand if this sounds too risky.

A QuickCharger at the bottom would not change this analysis, but it would allow you to reach the starting point from any point in the SFV.

If you get serious about doing this, I would be willing to do a detailed calculation using my calibrated spreadsheet. You may PM me.

tbleakne said:
If you get serious about doing this, I would be willing to do a detailed calculation using my calibrated spreadsheet. You may PM me.

Thanks, it was more of a hypothetical kind of interest, but it sounds doable if stars align properly :) A QC in the middle would surely help.

Relative to Florida QC stations I called Nissan Autoway of Brandon (halfway between me and Disney) to inquire about the possibility of a DCQC installation. They were aware of Nissan's plan to add QC stations but did not know of ANY plans for Florida installations.

mdvb747 said:
TomT said:
Is this really a surprise to anyone???

KJD said:

The surprise is getting 10. :roll:
Heh. At this rate is does that mean there will be only ~45 to 60 more in the next 15 months?

Would be nice if Nissan or someone put up a tracking page so we can see what the actual number is and where they are.

Back