Official Toyota RAV4 EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ask you, who is the master?

8339B6D5-DA07-41D6-9906-6DA5F0E513BE-6208-000003611877E4EB.jpg

RegGuheert said:
TonyWilliams said:
Is this a new idea for extending the range of EVs? Tow an extra one that you can take to complete the journey? ;)

It would work. My economy was 2.5 towing, so about 104 miles. Then another 80-ish mile round trip with the LEAF that could fast charge somewhere and go even farther.

TonyWilliams said:
RegGuheert said:
TonyWilliams said:
Is this a new idea for extending the range of EVs? Tow an extra one that you can take to complete the journey? ;)
It would work. My economy was 2.5 towing, so about 104 miles. Then another 80-ish mile round trip with the LEAF that could fast charge somewhere and go even farther.
I was thinking you'd just get two RAV4's so they could tow each other for your 208 mile trip. Or get a Tesla!

Next time a newbie posts one of those "perpetual motion" threads, it would be great to use that photo to say "it's already here" or something like that.... :)

Randy said:
Next time a newbie posts one of those "perpetual motion" threads, it would be great to use that photo to say "it's already here" or something like that.... :)
But it would be better if both the LEAF and the RAV4 had windmills mounted on their roofs. :lol: Anyone good with photoshop?

I noticed something bad about the center LCD display on the Rav. It's an LCD with LED backlighting, but they dim it with a relatively low frequency PWM. This means when it's dimmed, there is an annoying flicker out of the corner of your eye. If found it useful to increase the brightness during the day to Max, and dim it further at night to eliminate the distraction. Horrible engineering from Fujitsu Ten!

-Phil

This is exactly the problem I'm having. The center display is horrible! It causes eye strain too anyone that is sensitive to monitors with low refresh rates. I spoke to the dealer that I bought the car from and all they told me was that the refresh rate was set at the factory and their was nothing they could do about it. When you spend $50,000 on a car you don't expect to have these kinds of problems.

I'll try what you recommended and see if it helps.

Bill

FYI: It's not the "refresh rate", it's the backlighting. It's an artifact of the system used to dim the backlight LEDs. This could probably be fixed with the addition of a capacitor.

-Phil

OK, I think I understand what you are saying. So when you dim the brightness you are actually slowing down the rate that the backlighting flashes. It's almost the refresh rate of the backlighting.

Bill

Ingineer said:
I noticed something bad about the center LCD display on the Rav...

Phil, did you "Pull a Tony" and get a RAV4EV too?
Does this mean you may get rid of your LEAF someday soon?

Toyota seems to have deals going on now, unlike when Tony paid full pop (sorry Tony), judging by http://priuschat.com/threads/rav4-ev-deals-dec-4th-thru-jan-7th.119031/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.buyatoyota.com/Specials/SpecialOffers.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; when I put in the 90024 zip code.
Get 0.0% APR PLUS $5,000 Finance Cash PLUS $2,500 Loyalty Cash on a new 2012 RAV4EV

0.0% APR for 36 months
0.0% APR for 48 months
0.0% APR for 60 months
PLUS $5,000 Finance Cash, PLUS $2,500 EV Loyalty Cash
Includes Toyota Care

Offer Ends 1/7/2013
0.0% APR includes 36 monthly payments of $27.78 per $1000 borrowed. 0.0% APR includes 48 monthly payments of $20.83 per $1000 borrowed. 0.0% APR includes 60 monthly payments of $16.67 per $1000 borrowed. For example 10% down-down payment varies with credit. Available through Toyota Financial Services to qualified Tier 1 + (plus), Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3 credit customers. Available on a new 2012 RAV4EV purchased out of dealer stock by midnight 1/7/2013. Offers cannot be combined. EV Loyalty Cash and Finance Cash offers valid through TFS lease or finance only. See your Toyota dealer for details.
Maybe Toyota wants to try to juice up sales?

I've seen 0 advertising on TV about them. I don't think I've seen a single ad online for them either.

edit: Seems like the deal's only that good in So Cal. I don't get the same screaming deal if I put in 95136 or 94230.

Back