Official Toyota RAV4 EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cwerdna said:
TonyWilliams said:
LEAFer said:
What has Toyota offered you as "compensation" ?

I get to burn oil in a Camry.
Did they at least loan you a Camry Hybrid? That gets surprisingly good mileage for a 200 hp car and is pretty quick.

I could have gotten a Prius, but I honestly don't know much about them (except I'm supposed to drive one if charging stations aren't free). I could have gotten any car, and considered the minivan (which I am familiar with, since we owned a 2010 Toyota Sienna).

I really didn't want anything with oil burning, and it will be a real drag putting gas in this pig when I turn it in.

^^^
Heh, if your RAV4 EV is going to be out of commission for awhile, I'd mix it up and change vehicles a few times. Try out ones that interest you. I would. :) Of the hybrids, I'd throw in the Prius, PiP, Prius c (little interest in the v wagon) and HyCam. I'd be curious about a V6 Camry and Avalon too. I noticed at the SF auto show, that the '13 Avalon underwent a big redesign.

If you can swing a Scion FR-S, I'd include that too.

Unrelated: I saw this news about the next gen ('13) ICE RAV4: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/28/2013-toyota-rav4-la-2012/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://news.yahoo.com/toyota-rav4-gets-look-better-fuel-economy-173141008--finance.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I didn't realize they were due for redesign.

Interesting that they got rid of the 3rd row of seats (not available on Rav4 EV) and are back to not having a V6 engine again. Also, they got rid of the rear door w/hinge on the wrong side for Americans (and those that drive on our side of the road) and the spare mounted on the rear door.

I wonder if this is related to why Toyota only plans on 2600 units of Rav4 EV during the 1st 3 years.

TonyWilliams said:
GRA said:
So, Tony, given the range numbers on your draft chart, are you going to start a '200 Mile Club' for the RAV4? :D

That is a damn good idea. None of the magazines or other "usual suspects" have done it, so I hereby announce that I should be first.... now, I just need a fully charged car.

Good news !!! The team arriving to look at my Rav4 and the Blink EVSE are bringing a spare connector from the R&D department (none are in the parts channels). Of course, they have to drop the big ole battery to snake the wire through the "driveshaft tunnel".

It's on the lift rack right now.

hope they are allowing pix!

tbleakne ...My LEAF has been getting 5.1 mi/kWh RT by driving freeways at 54-56 mph...

11% capacity loss

What is your source for these results, tbleakne?

You might want to respond at this (closer-to-on-topic) thread:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/posting.php?mode=quote&f=31&p=246116" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cwerdna said:
I wonder if this is related to why Toyota only plans on 2600 units of Rav4 EV during the 1st 3 years.

Toyota wrote a $100 million check to Tesla for 2600 cars; $100 million divided by 2600 equals $38,461 per car, plus Toyota has to actually provide the car and assemble the Tesla provided bits in Ontario, Canada. The car retails for $49,900. Toyota loses about $10,000 per car sold, or about $26 million for the 2600 cars. It only cost this huge amount because they contracted Tesla, and it's a limited production run. Tesla isn't selling $57,000 Model S at a loss, which is virtually the same drive train in the Rav4.

They thought of the best way to meet their California zero emission mandate, and apparently this is it.

Read this tutorial:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/zevprog/factsheets/zev_tutorial.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It will answer lots of questions. In a nutshell, if Toyota makes 0.79% of it production with ZEV's, that is one part of the overall compliance with CARB rules.

330,000 cars multiplied by 0.79% equals 2607 cars.

You can buy all the parts and put the third row in the 2012 Rav4 EV, the same as the oil burner. It just won't be cheap.

Hi all, first let me introduce myself. I'm a 42 year old male and live in Long Beach CA. I have been enjoying my RAV4 EV for almost two months now. This is my first EV or hybrid and I love it! I've searched the internet and this is by far the best thread on the RAV4 EV.

Tony I'm sorry to hear about your EVSE meltdown. I have a 40 amp Leviton charger at home. I will check the connector tomorrow. It is so new I highly doubt it will show any signs of wear.

I just wanted to add my likes and dislikes on the car. The best things are the power, range and room. I have two kids so the cargo space is very much needed. The range is amazing and the power is addictive
The not so great are no Level 3 connection and a bouncy ride. The real killer for me has been the low refresh rate on the main screen. It kills my eyes and really is a disappointment. Anyone that has had a computer monitor with a low refresh rate and is sensitive too it knows what I mean. I didn't buy a $50,000 car with cutting edge technology and expect a display with technology from the 80's.

Also Tony for your chart. My RAV4 EV gets 3.6 miles per Kilowatt at 65mph with no accessories turned on (except radio) and windows up. This is per my dash display. So it looks like either the dash displays vary from one car to another or there is a pretty big difference in efficiency between cars.

Bill

BestDay said:
Hi all, first let me introduce myself....

Also Tony for your chart. My RAV4 EV gets 3.6 miles per Kilowatt at 65mph with no accessories turned on (except radio) and windows up. This is per my dash display. So it looks like either the dash displays vary from one car to another or there is a pretty big difference in efficiency between cars.

Bill

Welcome to the EV world with your Rav4. You may want to meet up at 3pm on Saturday, Dec 8, 2012 @

Yard House Irvine Spectrum
71 Fortune Drive
Irvine, CA 92618

Everybody in the LA, OC, SD, SB should be able to do this round trip with only minimal charging (only 71 miles from Hermosa Beach and about 75 miles from my San Diego house):

http://www.plugshare.com/widget.html?latitude=33.65%20&longitude=-117.745&zoom=17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"4 GE Wattstation J1772 stations located in the outdoor parking lot, section B9. This section is a small parking lot located between the large 5 level structure (Edwards Cinema side) and the 5 freeway. Free to park and $2 per hour to charge."

The data in my chart is still well into the "preliminary" stages. I haven't yet had a chance to do a proper survey of speeds and economy over a level, 70F, no wind course. Thanks for your data point.

Tony

Thanks for the invite, but I will be out of town that weekend. But in the future I would like to make it to one of the gatherings.

I've noticed the last couple of days that with the colder weather, low 60's and overcast, I'm only getting 3.2 mi/kwh. My original 3.6 mi/kwh was based on two different trips when the weather was warmer. I haven't checked yet but a little colder and with the heater on and I assume I would get less than 3.0 mi/kwh.

Also I was told that a third row won't work in the RAV4 EV because the battery is where your feet would go. I don't know, I haven't looked. I just took the salespersons word for it. I was also interested in adding a third row myself.

If anyone figures out a way to add quick charging capabilities to the RAV4 EV, count me in!

Bill

What did you do with your electric vehicle today?

9D367278-229A-4A27-8748-E884AAED0F58-4691-0000026DA1055472.jpg

waidy said:
TonyWilliams said:
What did you do with your electric vehicle today?
Are those electric bikes?
Hah! Tony ought to replace them with a couple of these, instead:

Co-worker has a Zero-S - great fun - I imagine the MX in the dirt is even more fun!

TonyWilliams said:
BestDay said:
If anyone figures out a way to add quick charging capabilities to the RAV4 EV, count me in!
Bill

I certainly have already begun the inquiries in this area. Nothing cubic dollars can't fix.

How much do you have?

:mrgreen:
if I remember, it seems I'd seen pictures of the Gen 1
RAV4 EV where Toyota had Monkey'd with QC - installing ports/receivers for the old style Yazaki plugs. I'll have to check my archives.

Since the battery was disconnected with the charge port swap, my "rated" and GOM range has reset to 3.5 miles/kWh for 146 miles range. Unfortunately, it will drop quickly, since my average is closer to 2.7 (which is the EPA range of 113):

-------EPA- 65mph @ Economy - Usable battery

LEAF - 73 -- 84 @ 4.0 miles/kWh - 21.0kWh
Rav4 -113 - 146 @ 3.5 miles/kWh - 41.8kWh

1cd102d7dabb527f4097e75acc072e3f.jpg

I'm adding to the picture above to make it clear that the Rav4 only has a "better" GOM. The first picture was taken this morning, after pulling a 6x12 foot box trailer a short distance yesterday (2.2miles/kWh). The second picture is after a 12 volt battery disconnect, which reset the meters to their default of 3.5 miles per kWh multiplied by 41.8 kWh. In both cases, the "gas gauge" shows full:

6390C3CD-F9F4-4E68-AC64-FA8CB1FF886B-6155-0000031D1BB4BC5E.jpg

1cd102d7dabb527f4097e75acc072e3f.jpg

Back