Official Toyota RAV4 EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
reeler said:
palmermd said:
J1772 inlet port was "burned" from arcing and needs replacement.

Any picture? How did this happen?

I'll let Tony spell out the specifics as to how and what happened.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10749" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blinkj1772burntPinB.jpg

Rav4j1772burntPinA.jpg

TonyWilliams said:
I'm at the dealer now. I think I just want to drive it home, waiting for the parts. My new Blink will be installed at 1pm.
Does buying a new Rav4-EV qualify for a new blink? Since I brought the RAV4-EV under my daughter's name and my daughter doesn't have any charging station at her home in Santa Cruz, it would be nice to get one for her. Who should I contact?

waidy said:
TonyWilliams said:
I'm at the dealer now. I think I just want to drive it home, waiting for the parts. My new Blink will be installed at 1pm.
Does buying a new Rav4-EV qualify for a new blink? Since I brought the RAV4-EV under my daughter's name and my daughter doesn't have any charging station at her home in Santa Cruz, it would be nice to get one for her. Who should I contact?

No, it doesn't.

Tony, did you get an EVproject Blink when you bought your LEAF?

Also, I wonder if CARB rebates on the LEAF had to be returned since you sold it so soon to switch to the RAV4EV...

TonyWilliams said:
It took a closer look at the Rav4 EV yesterday at the SF auto show. I didn't realize that there are THREE coolant loops, not two. So, in the back, from left to right, you've got the brake fluid, cabin coolant, then battery coolant. Closest to the camera, there's another tank w/blue coolant that's for the motor (partly out of view, but you can see its cap). There's a sticker on the hood that shows the locations, what each reserve tank is for and talks about G48 vs. SLLC.

I noticed the hood is very heavy and likely a steel hood. I'm used to the lighter aluminum hood on my Prius (which is also very small) and former 04 350Z.

I don't recall any signage at the auto show pointing out the $7500 Federal tax credit and $2500 CVRP... so if anyone looked at the posted stickers, they'd probably have gotten sticker shock.

TEG said:
Tony, did you get an EVproject Blink when you bought your LEAF?

Also, I wonder if CARB rebates on the LEAF had to be returned since you sold it so soon to switch to the RAV4EV...

I'm returning the Blink (as I'm no longer eligible to use it without a LEAF). I had hoped to keep it until this weekend, when I build an Open EVSE plus my new Clipper Creek should be ready.

Now, I'm waiting for a Toyota guy to be flown in from Michigan to look at the Blink.

CARB rebates are prorated, or transferable to other users who keep the car in California.

TonyWilliams said:
Now, I'm waiting for a Toyota guy to be flown in from Michigan to look at the Blink.
Good to hear that Toyota's at least interested in looking at this. Automakers flying people around to look at things can get costly.

sparky said:
Thanks for the draft. From your chart, the RAV4 comes out a bit better than I estimated with my one-time driving test; 3.8 vs 3.1 m/kWh IIRC. Useful for those of us considering a Tesla S40. Which, I assume will be slightly better.
According to Tesla's graph, you can achieve 4 mi/kWh by slowing the Model-S to down to 50 mph, but that is too slow for the freeways I drive. My LEAF has been getting 5.1 mi/kWh RT by driving freeways at 54-56 mph.

ModelSEffic-L.jpg

I would have thought the Model-S, being so much lower than the LEAF, would have less frontal area A than the LEAF, but it is wider. With its lower Cd (drag coefficient), I thought at least Cd*A would be no higher for the Model-S.

The graph shows a minimum at 25 mph. Do you suppose this is due to the "sticky" tires ?

It would seem possible to build a car about the LEAF's size that would get 4.8 mi/kWh at 55 mph with a battery holding 32 kWh usable capacity. That would yield 4.8*32 = 150 mi range. It might weight 400 lbs more than the current LEAF, perhaps less if it used Tesla battery technology, but I could accept that.

Unless I MUST extend my range, I'm not comfortable driving slower than about 62 in the Leaf...

If I am going to be driving a Model S, it certainly won't be at 50, more like 65-70!

tbleakne said:
According to Tesla's graph, you can achieve 4 mi/kWh by slowing the Model-S to down to 50 mph, but that is too slow for the freeways I drive. My LEAF has been getting 5.1 mi/kWh RT by driving freeways at 54-56 mph.

tbleakne said:
I would have thought the Model-S, being so much lower than the LEAF, would have less frontal area A than the LEAF, but it is wider. With its lower Cd (drag coefficient), I thought at least Cd*A would be no higher for the Model-S.
The huge 21" wheels/tires are a huge source of drag on the Model S, and supposedly induction motors are also slightly less efficient than PM motors. The aero wheel option (which was canceled) was rumored to improve range by about 5%...

The EPA rating of the LEAF/Model S are basically the same on the highway at 92/90 MPGe respectively - I wonder how it actually performs in real life - it does seem like most Model S drivers are getting around 3 mi/kWh on the dash, but with a huge battery and lots of power it'd be really hard not to drive it that way. It'd be really interesting to know what the wall-to-wheels numbers are.

I do know that the Model S can lose about "10 miles" of ideal range a day. Apparently the on-board computers never really go to sleep (they are supposedly working on it). I know the early Roadsters also had a similar issue with vampire draw (also later resolved).

Does the RAV4-EV?

TomT said:
If I am going to be driving a Model S, it certainly won't be at 50, more like 75-80!
Fixed that for ya. ;)

GRA said:
So, Tony, given the range numbers on your draft chart, are you going to start a '200 Mile Club' for the RAV4? :D

That is a damn good idea. None of the magazines or other "usual suspects" have done it, so I hereby announce that I should be first.... now, I just need a fully charged car.

Good news !!! The team arriving to look at my Rav4 and the Blink EVSE are bringing a spare connector from the R&D department (none are in the parts channels). Of course, they have to drop the big ole battery to snake the wire through the "driveshaft tunnel".

It's on the lift rack right now.

drees said:
.... most Model S drivers are getting around 3 mi/kWh on the dash, but with a huge battery and lots of power it'd be really hard not to drive it that way.

I think I've averaging about 2.7 in the Rav4, and it appears that the EPA numbers are based on 2.7 also.

I do know that the Model S can lose about "10 miles" of ideal range a day. Apparently the on-board computers never really go to sleep (they are supposedly working on it). I know the early Roadsters also had a similar issue with vampire draw (also later resolved).

Does the RAV4-EV?

That, I don't know. The ideal range seems to vary a bit both up and down. I'm not really sure what it's based on. One thing I like is how stable it is; when it shows 100 miles, and I drive ten miles, it most probably will show 90 miles remaining. Try that in you LEAF !!

Back