Official Toyota RAV4 EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BestDay said:
OK, I think I understand what you are saying. So when you dim the brightness you are actually slowing down the rate that the backlighting flashes. ...

More likely the width of the pulses. Persistence of vision is supposed to fill the gaps, but some people have a higher threshold.

dadc74b4230.jpg

I just don't understand the concept of 2WD SUVs. Isn't the idea to be able to travel through snow etc.? Otherwise why not just buy a minivan.

Many don't need 4WD, prefer the space layout of a SUV, don't want to pay the MPG hit, and/or don't want to drive a mom-mobile...

willk55 said:
I just don't understand the concept of 2WD SUVs. Isn't the idea to be able to travel through snow etc.? Otherwise why not just buy a minivan.

willk55 said:
My dad has a FWD 02 Rav4 (ICEV) and I guess he wanted it because it's a 4-banger, so it's more efficient than the minivans of the era, has a lot of space w/the seats out and I think it was cheaper than minivans of the era, while also being smaller. He has NO desire to go off-roading and it's never been taken anywhere where it snows. It doesn't snow here. 4WD SUVs = more weight and worse FE.

He was driving a 93 Dodge Caravan V6 (non-extended length) but got into an accident w/it. That minivan was originally used to move my stuff back and forth between college and home (>300 miles, each way).

Personally, IMHO, his 02 Rav4 is a piece of crap (and I'm generally a Toyota fan). It's slow, noisy, ride isn't very good, interior is cheapy, and it feels very tipsy. I've never driven anything else that feels like it'll rollover as easily. At the time he got it, I was comparing it to my 02 Nissan Maxima GXE (WAY faster, way quieter, MUCH smoother engine, WAY better ride, MUCH better interior, not tipsy, etc.) It's been generally reliable though.

Ingineer said:
Nubo said:
More likely the width of the pulses.
It's the frequency. It's a pretty poor engineer that specifies a PWM frequency for an LCD backlight LED anywhere below 200hz.

-Phil

What I meant was that the brightness is controlled by varying the width of the pulses, not by varying the frequency.

Nubo said:
What I meant was that the brightness is controlled by varying the width of the pulses, not by varying the frequency.
Of course, That's what PWM means. The annoying visible flicker is a function of the frequency though. Maybe only minimally affected by the duty-cycle. As you approach a higher duty cycle, the flickering is less noticeable though.

Tony, have you noticed this?

-Phil

Ingineer said:
Nubo said:
Of course, That's what PWM means. The annoying visible flicker is a function of the frequency though. Maybe only minimally affected by the duty-cycle. As you approach a higher duty cycle, the flickering is less noticeable though.

-Phil

I haven't, but I haven't moved the brightness much. I'll try today.

Ingineer said:
Nubo said:

-Phil
While slightly off subject, this is one thing that drives me crazy about many LED taillights. Most of them dim using PWM when being used as just a position light, with the brakes off. A lot of these, I can "sense" the flicker. Others, including the Leaf, are somewhat faster, but I can see the flicker if I sweep my eyes quickly side to side: the visual trail is broken.

I have no idea what they don't all use higher frequencies.

DoxyLover said:
While slightly off subject, this is one thing that drives me crazy about many LED taillights. Most of them dim using PWM when being used as just a position light, with the brakes off. A lot of these, I can "sense" the flicker. Others, including the Leaf, are somewhat faster, but I can see the flicker if I sweep my eyes quickly side to side: the visual trail is broken.

I have no idea what they don't all use higher frequencies.
I actually think this is a hidden "feature", as it tends to make taillights in your peripheral vision much more noticeable. I built an LED conversion for my motorcycle years ago and experimented with the frequencies to make it more visible.

-Phil

is this true? now $7500 rebate off the 2012 model?

---
Get 0.0% APR PLUS $5,000 Finance Cash PLUS $2,500 Loyalty Cash on a new 2012 RAV4EV

0.0% APR for 36 months
0.0% APR for 48 months
0.0% APR for 60 months
PLUS $5,000 Finance Cash, PLUS $2,500 EV Loyalty Cash
Includes Toyota Care
Offer Ends 1/7/2013

toasty said:

---
Get 0.0% APR PLUS $5,000 Finance Cash PLUS $2,500 Loyalty Cash on a new 2012 RAV4EV

0.0% APR for 36 months
0.0% APR for 48 months
0.0% APR for 60 months
Includes Toyota Care
Offer Ends 1/7/2013
Sure seems like it. Try going to http://www.buyatoyota.com/Specials/SpecialOffers.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and plugging in So Cal zip codes like 90024 and 90401 then select Rav4 EV.

Man... if Tony's guess is right that they were losing $10K a pop at MSRP, the above would mean Toyota is taking a really big loss on these in order to move a compliance car.

I don't know when the '13 Rav4 EV will be coming out (might be a very late '13... Toyota's done stuff like that before... '12 Prius wasn't available until late Jan/early Feb '12) since the '12 Rav4 EV became available the week of 9/24/12 per http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/2012+toyota+rav4ev+california.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

cwerdna said:
toasty said:

---

0.0% APR for 36 months
0.0% APR for 48 months
0.0% APR for 60 months
Includes Toyota Care
Offer Ends 1/7/2013
Sure seems like it. Try going to http://www.buyatoyota.com/Specials/SpecialOffers.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and plugging in So Cal zip codes like 90024 and 90401 then select Rav4 EV.

Man... if Tony's guess is right that they were losing $10K a pop at MSRP, the above would mean Toyota is taking a really big loss on these in order to move a compliance car.

I don't know when the '13 Rav4 EV will be coming out (might be a very late '13... Toyota's done stuff like that before... '12 Prius wasn't available until late Jan/early Feb '12) since the '12 Rav4 EV became available the week of 9/24/12 per http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/2012+toyota+rav4ev+california.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

This just might help me pull the plug.

can someone buy one for me? lol
They can keep the $7500 tax rebate too.
and state.

i tried calling, but they said no out of state sales.

toasty said:

0.0% APR for 36 months
0.0% APR for 48 months
0.0% APR for 60 months
Includes Toyota Care
Offer Ends 1/7/2013

http://www.buyatoyota.com/Specials/SpecialOffers.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Purchase $50,800
W/tax & lic $56,000

Minus. $ 7,500 Fed tax credit
Minus. $ 2,500 State rebate
Minus. $ 5,000 Toyota rebate (applies to a lease also, but you don't get $7500 Fed tax credit)
Minus. $ 2,500 Toyota loyalty (I suspect you have to prove you owned a Toyota: edit: owned a Rav4 EV)

So, you can write a check for $10,000 and the net out the door financing is $41,000 (plus whatever profit makers the dealer throws in that I never buy) without the loyalty cash I presume 99% won't get.

0% financing is $684 for 60 months.

You'll get your entire $10,000 down payment back in just a few weeks to a few months (depending on when you do you taxes and whether you pay at least $7500 in federal taxes).

I wouldn't wait for a 2013 or 2014 model, as I doubt there will be the tiniest change in the car. Toyota is well below their target sales to move 2600 total, and it only gets harder to move a 2012 when 2013's are sitting on the lot.

Carson Toyota in LA has 18 in stock right now.

Dianne Whitmire
Fleet Sales Director
Carson Toyota | Scion
1333 E 223rd Street, Carson, CA 90745
in Sunny Southern CA
949 689 0717 cel
310 522 2317 desk line
707 202 3618 eFax
[email protected]

Read more: Dianne's Rav4 EV Inventory posting for fall 2012 | PriusChat (http://priuschat.com/threads/diannes-rav4-ev-inventory-posting-for-fall-2012.116266/#ixzz296bVqWVz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

TonyWilliams said:
Minus. $ 2,500 Toyota loyalty (I suspect you have to prove you owned a Toyota)

Just found this out from a dealer:

$2,500 EV Loyalty Cash ( Eligible Consumers will receive their loyalty forms via email or mail ) previous RAV4EV owners

xtremeflyer said:
TonyWilliams said:

$2,500 EV Loyalty Cash ( Eligible Consumers will receive their loyalty forms via email or mail ) previous RAV4EV owners
Doh! Geez... they could at least spell that out better on buyatoyota.com. But still... the other $5K incentive is not bad.

I hope waidy isn't kicking herself since she still has one!

cwerdna said:
xtremeflyer said:
TonyWilliams said:

Doh! Geez... they could at least spell that out better on buyatoyota.com. But still... the other $5K incentive is not bad.

The loyalty cash was available even before this promotion, so she should have gotten it.

cwerdna said:
Ha, I knew about the $2500. The same day I brought the Rav I mailed in the form (that's Nov 11). A month went by, I still haven't gotten the $2500 check yet.

The $5000 is new to me. I don't know whether I can still get it.

Back