March 2013 Nissan battery pack replacement survey.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edatoakrun

I just completed a survey from NNA on expected battery life, range, and preferred options for battery replacement.

Is there a previous thread on this survey?

If so, PM me and I'll delete this thread.

Many questions on what happens after the capacity warranty is over?

Did I want to buy, finance, or rent a replacement battery, and what I thought it should or would cost.

At the end, it asked what I would do, rent, buy, or buy on payments (the battery pack) or trade in the whole LEAF (with $2k incentive from Nissan) if the replacement cost was ~$5k (my stated preference) $8k, or $12k.

Which suggests to me, Nissan may still be considering a wide range of prices for replacement batteries.

Quick note -- If you answer that you are already leasing a LEAF and that you have no interest in buying your leaf or a new leaf, you don't get to the battery replacement questions.

Got the email invite moments ago. Maybe I will take the survey over the weekend.

edatoakrun said:
I just completed a survey from NNA on expected battery life, range, and preferred options for battery replacement...
Survey is going out to non-owners as well. Probably from previous expressed interest. Came through email.

Interesting that you don't get the battery questions if you lease. Obviously they aren't worried about your guys.

I answered that, with installation, I'd be happy at $6k for a replacement pack; consider it a bargain at $4k; would worry about the quality some if it were under $1k; would have to consider it if priced over $7k; and wouldn't be interested much at all above $10k.

One question on the survey asked whether I'd consider trading in my LEAF for another new Nissan vehicle after the capacity warranty has expired. I indicated that I'd be unlikely to do so, and that I'm also unlikely to replace the battery pack unless it's pretty cheap. For a multi-car family such as ours that owns (not leases) a LEAF, it seems more sensible to keep the LEAF as long as possible and eventually relegate it to shorter distance driving only. Rather than putting money into a new LEAF pack, there's a good chance we'll replace one of our other cars with a longer range EV. If Nissan choose to manufacture an EV with 125+ miles of range (similar to the RAV4 EV) and quick charging capability, we'll strongly consider it.

mwalsh said:
Interesting that you don't get the battery questions if you lease. Obviously they aren't worried about your guys.

I answered that, with installation, I'd be happy at $6k for a replacement pack; consider it a bargain at $4k; would worry about the quality some if it were under $1k; would have to consider it if priced over $7k; and wouldn't be interested much at all above $10k.
Close to what I said. 5K happy, 3K bargain, 7K consider, >10k no. The whole "worry about the quality thing" just seemed stupid to me and I always chose the smallest number they allowed. If the battery is coming from Nissan, and they have a decent warranty, why am I going to worry about it being too cheap? Dumb. I gave the rental option a positive review. I thought $30 a month to be just about right for that.
DaveinOlyWA said:
i didnt get the survey. may have to check my SPAM folder. what was the email title?
The title was:
Your Feedback is Valued! Nissan LEAF Battery Survey

KeiJidosha said:
edatoakrun said:
I just completed a survey from NNA on expected battery life, range, and preferred options for battery replacement...
Survey is going out to non-owners as well. Probably from previous expressed interest. Came through email.
Yep. I received it. Title was "Your Feedback is Valued! Nissan LEAF Battery Survey"

I didn't get a whole lot of questions as I don't own, said I'd lease and I answered that I probably wouldn't buy after the lease is over.

Here's some more of the text:
What would it take?

10-15 minutes of your time to complete the newest research survey regarding the Nissan LEAF.
By the end of the survey we hope to better understand your expectations for the future of this vehicle by identifying how long you intend/expect to own the Nissan LEAF and understand whether you intend to sell or trade-in your vehicle years from now or keep the fun rolling by replacing your battery with a new battery in the future, among other alternatives.

The information gathered from these surveys allows us the opportunity and privilege to serve you, the consumer, with the best experience possible.

Even if you do not own a Nissan LEAF, your feedback is important and appreciated.

Please click the link below to begin!

Follow this link to the Survey:...
The beginning of the URL points to auto.qualtrics.com.

mwalsh said:
...I answered that, with installation, I'd be happy at $6k for a replacement pack; consider it a bargain at $4k; would worry about the quality some if it were under $1k; would have to consider it if priced over $7k; and wouldn't be interested much at all above $10k.
I said approximately the same thing. I wonder if these numbers are in the range of possibility, or will the survey just tell Nissan there's no model for new replacement batteries at a price which covers their cost + margin?

I also got the e-mail. Seems like Nissan is testing the water for battery price ranges before they "announce it this Spring" {Andy Palmer}. The survey fails to asks the question: "What do you think your Leaf will be worth after 5 years/60,000 miles." I say it will be virtually worthless unless the battery can be replaced relatively inexpensively. The replacement battery cost that I felt was acceptable, that I input to the survey, was $4000 (installed). Anything higher that in my opinion is simply too high.

I also didn't get the survey. This gives further credence to the fact that Nissan does not care about leasers, at least as far as the battery is concerned, regardless of whether or not they might buy out the lease...

TomT said:
I also didn't get the survey. This gives further credence to the fact that Nissan does not care about leasers, at least as far as the battery is concerned, regardless of whether or not they might buy out the lease...

I got the email, and I'm leasing. I haven't had a chance to open it yet.

Well then, perhaps their system for sending out the surveys is simply as incompetent as Carwings... :lol:

Boomer23 said:
TomT said:
I got the email, and I'm leasing. I haven't had a chance to open it yet.

Just did my survey.
I'm so depressed after all those questions about the battery losing excessive capacity, and what I'd be prepared to pay for a replacement, that I'm thinking of selling and buying an ICE ;-(

just as with surveys at work trying to gauge employee satisfaction with benefits, pay, supervision, and for the nissan surveys about warranty, i always am pessimistic and make myself a very hard-to-please customer.

a hard-to-please consumer makes for a quality product at a fair price.

DeaneG said:
I said approximately the same thing. I wonder if these numbers are in the range of possibility, or will the survey just tell Nissan there's no model for new replacement batteries at a price which covers their cost + margin?

In my opinion, they shouldn't be expecting a margin. These initial packs should be sold at cost to early adopters for now, with perhaps a profit motive when either a) packs become even more inexpensive to manufacture or b) early adopters have at least one pack repurchase on their account.

Funny that no mention was made of trade-in value for our existing packs, no?

davewill said:
mwalsh said:

Close to what I said. 5K happy, 3K bargain, 7K consider, >10k no. The whole "worry about the quality thing" just seemed stupid to me and I always chose the smallest number they allowed. If the battery is coming from Nissan, and they have a decent warranty, why am I going to worry about it being too cheap? Dumb. I gave the rental option a positive review. I thought $30 a month to be just about right for that.
DaveinOlyWA said:
i didnt get the survey. may have to check my SPAM folder. what was the email title?
The title was:
Your Feedback is Valued! Nissan LEAF Battery Survey

what is the subject line and what does it say on the from line?
please

thankyouOB said:
what is the subject line and what does it say on the from line?
please
Sender: "Nissan North America, Inc." <[email protected]>
Reply-To: "Nissan North America, Inc." <[email protected]>
Subject: Your Feedback is Valued! Nissan LEAF Battery Survey

In the bottom of the email, there is a link "To opt-out of the Nissan LEAF Research Panel" and another "To opt-out of all Nissan communications". Perhaps some that didn't receive it opted out of that or something else?

I've definitely received other legit Leaf surveys from Nissan before (that others and I have discussed), have been to Leaf test drive events and paid the $99 deposit 2x (and been refunded both times, in the end).

Back