Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turbo3 said:
I can put that on my list of things to look at when I get back to adding features again. Which will have to wait until the iOS port is fully functional.
Awesome. Thank you very much.

mwalsh said:
Hmm...now I'm not so sure. I looked back to when I bought my SimValley ELM327 - it was June of 2013. This phone I'm carrying now, which isn't jailbroken just carrier unlocked, I started using in September 2012.

So, obviously, something I now have to try this weekend before the curiosity of it all makes me insane. ;)

Well, neither of my ELMs worked with either of my current iOS devices, as you expected.

So either I was smoking crack or I used my old jail broken phone before I gave it away.

I updated Leaf Spy Pro to v0.35.59 and now can't find the Select OBDII, Settings, About & Help and Exit list. I get the orange overlay but nothing else. I have the display set to landscape so I wonder if somehow some choices are covered up? Of course I can't switch out of landscape without accessing Settings.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

WisJim said:
I updated Leaf Spy Pro to v0.35.59 and now can't find the Select OBDII, Settings, About & Help and Exit list. I get the orange overlay but nothing else. I have the display set to landscape so I wonder if somehow some choices are covered up? Of course I can't switch out of landscape without accessing Settings.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
First I assume your phone does not have a dedicated menu button so you are trying to use the soft menu button in the upper right corner.

You should just tap the upper right corner to bring up the Select OBDII,.... list. If you hold down the upper right corner you will get the touch area help with the orange color rectangles.

A short tap doesn't do anything but a longer tap brings up the orange overlays, nothing I tried brings up Select OBDII, Settings, About & Help and Exit list.

there should be a specific spot on the screen to "invoke" the menu

either a hamburger button _ 3 of those stacked. or 3 dots ... somewhere

tap that to get into the menu.

WisJim said:
A short tap doesn't do anything but a longer tap brings up the orange overlays, nothing I tried brings up Select OBDII, Settings, About & Help and Exit list.
The only two things that bring up the Select OBDII, About... list is either pressing a dedicated menu button (a physical button normally with three stacked lines) or tapping the upper right corner of the screen where an image of three dash lines is located.

If tapping the upper right corner does not bring up the Select OBDII menu then try rebooting your phone as something is blocking the "tap" signal from getting to Leaf Spy.

I have Leaf Spy Version 0.34.42 and it has almost completely stopped working/connecting. I repeatedly get the following error: [BtS] read failed, socket might be closed or timeout, read ret: -1. For a while I could get it to work by going into Bluetooth Settings (on Nexus 5/Android) and disconnecting from the car and then trying again. Now that doesn't work, even with rebooting, turning the car off and back on, etc. I'm tired of trying different to find a way "through" the cause(s) of the error. It was working fine before a recent update, but that may be coincidence. I don't think anything is wrong with the OBDII device, as it was working before and it just sits there.

Thanks for any help and sorry if this has been covered, but I want to get it back working again ASAP!

are you using Bluetooth for anything else? If you are turn it all off you don't have to turn off the Bluetooth just stop using any active Bluetooth connection such as streaming audio connect with Leafs spy and then reconnect your other audio connections I have this problem where we spot will not connect to a device it is as if I am getting the difference I assume this to be a problem with the dongle and not with leaf spy itself I am Not sure but once I form a connection it seems stable

mbender said:
I have Leaf Spy Version 0.34.42 and it has almost completely stopped working/connecting. I repeatedly get the following error: [BtS] read failed, socket might be closed or timeout, read ret: -1. For a while I could get it to work by going into Bluetooth Settings (on Nexus 5/Android) and disconnecting from the car and then trying again. Now that doesn't work, even with rebooting, turning the car off and back on, etc. I'm tired of trying different to find a way "through" the cause(s) of the error. It was working fine before a recent update, but that may be coincidence. I don't think anything is wrong with the OBDII device, as it was working before and it just sits there.

Thanks for any help and sorry if this has been covered, but I want to get it back working again ASAP!
First reboot the Nexus 5 to clear any bad connections.

Then I would try letting Leaf Spy turn Bluetooth on and off. Turn Bluetooth off on your Nexus 5. Then start Leaf Spy. You can also go to the Leaf Spy settings menu and check the "Auto Enable & Disable Bluetooth" so you don't get asked the question about enabling Bluetooth each time you start the app.

I am charging up my Nexus 7 and will test it later today to see if I have any problems. What version of Android does the Nexus 5 use?

Fired up the Nexus 7 which is still running 4.4.4 and tried a series of connect/disconnect cycles. I do get the [BtS] read failed... error on start up from time to time but on the next retry it normally connects. To see the retry delay counter go to screen 4 and tap the left side of the battery graphic until you see RPM and Gids display above it on the left side. The number in "[ x]" is the delay countdown timer for retrying the connection. When it gets to zero Leaf Spy will try reconnecting. As I recall I had to increase the retry counter on the Nexus as it can sometime take a longer time to connect.

At least twice it took many retries to connect and the first time this happened I exited then restarted app and it connected. I am thinking the first retry count many be short before it switches over to the 11 seconds retry value. This may be causing the the first [BtS] message I see. So what might be happening is Leaf Spy and the Nexus are a little out of sync with Leaf Spy not waiting long enough and then hitting the Nexus with another connection attempt before it has completed the first. So we have two cycles running (Leaf Spy sending connection requests and Android/Nexus trying to respond).

Not sure I will have much time to look deeper into this today or tomorrow but I will see if I can come up with better retry timing to handle this situation.

Until I come up with a new version with better retry I would just let it go though a few retries as indicated on screen 4 before exiting and restarting the app. Since you are running Android 5.0 the time many be different requiring an even longer retry delay count. So I may need you to be in the testers group if you are not already so you could test a future fix. I need the email address you used to purchase Leaf Spy to add you to the testers group.

Here is a screenshot of the delay retry counter just being set with 11 ([11]).
ahroZ0.png

Turbo3 said:
Then I would try letting Leaf Spy turn Bluetooth on and off. Turn Bluetooth off on your Nexus 5. Then start Leaf Spy. You can also go to the Leaf Spy settings menu and check the "Auto Enable & Disable Bluetooth" so you don't get asked the question about enabling Bluetooth each time you start the app.
This worked beautifully, so I am leaving (LEAFing?) well enough alone and not trying anything else. I don't want to reboot my phone every time I want to use Leaf Spy...

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "No matter how fast rebooting (anything) takes, it's never fast enough." -- Anonymous, LOL

Have I overlooked a setting which will store the user set miles/kWh efficiency or is the user required
to re-enter the desired efficiency each time the app starts after the Android OS boots, i.e. it always
reverts to some calculated value?

It appears that efficiency is a calculated value which can only be set for the present session
of LeafSpy. It always reverts to the last calculated value.

nerys said:
there should be a specific spot on the screen to "invoke" the menu

either a hamburger button _ 3 of those stacked. or 3 dots ... somewhere

tap that to get into the menu.

Tapping the 3 dots does nothing in Leaf Spy Pro for me.

And I have to reboot everytime I want to get the menu.

lorenfb said:
It appears that efficiency is a calculated value which can only be set for the present session
No.
It is a user entered value.
The app saves the value you enter.
You don't have to enter it again unless you want to change it to a different value.

TimLee said:
lorenfb said:
No.
It is a user entered value.
The app saves the value you enter.
You don't have to enter it again unless you want to change it to a different value.

Thanks for the response, but using my three devices (phone, Nexus 7, Tab 8) all fail to
retain the updated value.

Back