Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
figured i would answer my own question, YES leaf spy pro runs fine using an emulator called ANDY on Win 8.1, i was able to reset the codes no problemo and more :)

Turbo3, I bought Leaf Spy Pro (Version 0.35.59) about a week ago (Droid Maxx phone, Panlong OBD2 OBDII, 2012 Leaf). Works great, but I don't see a "battery calibration" section in the settings. The 12V battery reading in the app seems to be a couple V higher than my voltmeter reading of the battery. Has the calibration option been removed? If it's still a feature, how do I enter the voltmeter reading? At my recent 3 yr service check at the dealer they noted that my battery was a little low, which surprised them and me, so I'd like to keep an eye on it and try to figure out if something in particular is draining it.

Excellent app, thanks for coding this up and providing it to the public.

I downloaded your app in August and have used it every day for 20,000 miles and have some suggestions...

I've been meaning to ask you about logging daily mileage for tax purposes, and it looks like you've already come up with a solution with the trip viewer. I will just choose the manual reset option (including charging) and just tap it every day. Is there a way you could make it automatically reset the entry at a certain time? The official ridesharing day starts at 5AM.. so if you could make it keep track of daily mileage at a set time say from 5 to 5, that would be even nicer!

Looks like I need an SD card to get the trip viewer to work...

The only other suggestion I have is in regard to the layout of data on screen 4 in particular. The battery bar has pretty much no value to most people, since it's basically the same as the 12 bars (maybe that's why you have the other screen). EVs usually involve multiple SHORT trips so using percentages based on full pack energy is pretty hard to do (thus should take minimal screen real estate, if any). I make around 150-250 unique trips per week.

The ideal screen 4 for me would be:

Daily Trip Odometer (Auto resets and logs)
BIG Usable energy in kWh (Keyword: usable aka Total minus reserve)
BIG kW
BIG rolling average mi/kWh (.5-5 mile user selectable)
BIG Mileage countdown in increments of .5-1 mi (not in settings) in same manner as the mi/kwh 0.1 increment area
same mi/kwh 0.1 increment area

Tire pressure should be an alarm only.. or view highest and lowest instead of all 4.

One other thing: Can you make it automatically switch and clear the charger graph when you start a new session?

This would make my life easier, but you've already made it pretty easy so no pressure here.. THanks for your contribution

radiowires said:
Turbo3, I bought Leaf Spy Pro (Version 0.35.59) about a week ago (Droid Maxx phone, Panlong OBD2 OBDII, 2012 Leaf). Works great, but I don't see a "battery calibration" section in the settings. The 12V battery reading in the app seems to be a couple V higher than my voltmeter reading of the battery. Has the calibration option been removed? If it's still a feature, how do I enter the voltmeter reading? At my recent 3 yr service check at the dealer they noted that my battery was a little low, which surprised them and me, so I'd like to keep an eye on it and try to figure out if something in particular is draining it.

The 12 volt battery reading comes directly from the Leaf so no calibration is needed. Previously it came from the ELM327 which need to be calibrated.

hillzofvalp said:
I downloaded your app in August and have used it every day for 20,000 miles and have some suggestions...

I've been meaning to ask you about logging daily mileage for tax purposes, and it looks like you've already come up with a solution with the trip viewer. I will just choose the manual reset option (including charging) and just tap it every day. Is there a way you could make it automatically reset the entry at a certain time? The official ridesharing day starts at 5AM.. so if you could make it keep track of daily mileage at a set time say from 5 to 5, that would be even nicer!

Looks like I need an SD card to get the trip viewer to work...

The only other suggestion I have is in regard to the layout of data on screen 4 in particular. The battery bar has pretty much no value to most people, since it's basically the same as the 12 bars (maybe that's why you have the other screen). EVs usually involve multiple SHORT trips so using percentages based on full pack energy is pretty hard to do (thus should take minimal screen real estate, if any). I make around 150-250 unique trips per week.

The ideal screen 4 for me would be:

Daily Trip Odometer (Auto resets and logs)
BIG Usable energy in kWh (Keyword: usable aka Total minus reserve)
BIG kW
BIG rolling average mi/kWh (.5-5 mile user selectable)
BIG Mileage countdown in increments of .5-1 mi (not in settings) in same manner as the mi/kwh 0.1 increment area
same mi/kwh 0.1 increment area

Tire pressure should be an alarm only.. or view highest and lowest instead of all 4.

One other thing: Can you make it automatically switch and clear the charger graph when you start a new session?

This would make my life easier, but you've already made it pretty easy so no pressure here.. THanks for your contribution
At the moment I am busy with porting over Leaf Spy to iOS. But once that is done I can look and see what can be added.

Thanks for your suggestions.

You can set the countdown counter value on screen 4 using the + and - keys to increment/decrement in 1 km (0.6 mile) steps (native granularity of readable odometer). Once you have the countdown displayed just hold down the + or - key. After a short delay the countdown will step up or down as long has the key is held down. The rate of stepping will increase to a faster rate if you continue to hold the +/- key down. This is similar to the way you set some digital clocks.

Turbo3 said:
radiowires said:

The 12 volt battery reading comes directly from the Leaf so no calibration is needed. Previously it came from the ELM327 which need to be calibrated.

Terrific, thank you.

For the daily trip odometer (automatic), I would just take the last odometer reading of the day.. Since my android phone is often times dead when I leave the house, it won't record distance until it wakes up after 5 minutes.

hillzofvalp said:
The most disgustingly bad suggestion I have ever read :shock: :eek:

One of the best features of LEAF Spy Pro is the display of all four tire pressures and the ability to register the TPMS locations.

Baffling why anyone would want to get rid of that.

I think most users want this feature the way it is.

disgustingly? :idea:

All four tire pressures is NOT a piece of data that is helpful while driving unless certain conditions are met (pressure delta or minimum pressure). As it is, it is just taking up screen real estate and distracts from the data which matters more. I am speaking for users who have small screens.

On second thought, I wonder if there is a reason why Nissan does not display tire pressures to consumers...

hillzofvalp said:
On second thought, I wonder if there is a reason why Nissan does not display tire pressures to consumers...

Cost! Most high-end (luxury) vehicles have a TPM display function.

lorenfb said:
hillzofvalp said:

The problem with providing the driver this information is it must be kept in sync with the actually tire location. The Leaf's original method for doing this required either a Consult 3+ or special tire registration tool to be used whenever the tires were rotated. This was a manual process so Nissan had no way to know if it was actually done.

There are now Leafs that use a new procedure that can be activated from the dash by the driver to resync the wheels. As a result these new Leafs now display which wheels have low pressure on the car graphic that shows which doors are open. You still don't get to see the actual pressures but it is an improvement. See the Leaf Spy Pro tire registration thread for a picture of the dash.

I too find the tire pressure panel to be one that I always look at while driving as the pressures change a lot based on outside temperature and as the tires heat up while driving. Since the Leaf has no spare tire a slow leak is something of interest to the driver.

Turbo3 said:
lorenfb said:
hillzofvalp said:

The problem with providing the driver this information is it must be kept in sync with the actually tire location. The Leaf's original method for doing this required either a Consult 3+ or special tire registration tool to be used whenever the tires were rotated. This was a manual process so Nissan had no way to know if it was actually done.

There are now Leafs that use a new procedure that can be activated from the dash by the driver to resync the wheels. As a result these new Leafs now display which wheels have low pressure on the car graphic that shows which doors are open. You still don't get to see the actual pressures but it is an improvement. See the Leaf Spy Pro tire registration thread for a picture of the dash.

I too find the tire pressure panel to be one that I always look at while driving as the pressures change a lot based on outside temperature and as the tires heat up while driving. Since the Leaf has no spare tire a slow leak is something of interest to the driver.

Porsche and other european OEMs for at least the last five years have utilized algorithms that re-learn
the position of each TPM sensor as the vehicle is driven just a few miles without having to preset tire
pressures to unique values.

You all are missing the point: You don't need to use your brain power to determine if there is a potential problem. Let the app/car tell you if there is a disparity so you don't have to stare at the 4 pressures. IF you watch your tires fluctuate 5 psi over the course of the day, I'm really wondering what's going on with you! :geek:

YES, there is a pressure display built in to some cars. YES, it is useful for occasional inspection. But, sorry, NO it is not useful to have it up while your driving. YES, of course it should pop up if there is a critical condition, which we can set in the settings!

If you look at the leaf dash area and compare it to the size of the phones people use for leaf spy, and then compare the number of data points displayed on each, you will notice something interesting. Then look at all the other dashes nissan makes and all the HIDDEN ALERTS.

Edit:

The bars on the leaf serve a great purpose as a general SOC indicator and are easier to read than a percentage. 1% means nothing to me. 8% actually means something since its about 5 miles. So you don't really need an app with:

percent GIDS
a fine bar gauge with three different scaled units which you can't even focus on or relate to (we consume energy not percents)
a SOC gauge
kWH remaining
AND and trip Wh counter

If we were replacing the whole nissan dash with a android tablet, that'd be another story.

I, for one, want to thank Turbo3 for prominently displaying all 4 tire pressures. The alarm setting that Nissan provides is way too low to catch a tire leak before it is too late. I also want to say thanks again for creating this application and continuing to enhance it.

I am patiently waiting for my new 2015 SL to replace my totaled 2011 so I have a question: Are there setting changes in LEAF Spy Pro that I need to make before using it with the 2015? I don't want to lose the data I have saved from the 2011 so I am looking for guidance.

Thanks,
Gerry

hillzofvalp said:
Let the app/car tell you if there is a disparity so you don't have to stare at the 4 pressures. IF you watch your tires fluctuate 5 psi over the course of the day, I'm really wondering what's going on with you!
Yes, we understand, you don't like having tire pressures on the main page.
i-get-the-concept.gif

I like having it. In fact, it's one of the three things I care about (GIDs, and braking power, which unfortunately doesn't exist).

Turbo3 said:
Turbo3 said:
userneym said:
Hi, I bought a Mini V1.5 ELM327 OBD2 from Amazon and I'm trying to get it to connect with a Blackberry Z10. I've downloaded the Leaf Spy Lite from Google app store but I can't connect it to the OBD2 adapter. The adapter shows as paired with the phone but is not seen by Leaf Spy Lite. I get this error message "[Bts] bt socket connect failed". Can anyone give me some advice?
Thanks.
I would suggest you go into the Leaf Spy settings screen and try one of the other Bluetooth Ports. Try Secure first then Port 16. Change Port then exit and restart app.

I just checked the list of installed devices for both Lite and Pro and don't see any Blackberry or Z10 devices listed.

Please go into the app settings and go to the bottom and enable "Trace ELM (on restart)". Exit app then restart and let it try to connect for a minute. Then send me the TRC and ERRdata .txt files created in the directory LEAF_BT_CAN/DEBUG_FILES. Send to email address listed on About screen.

The Z10 Bluetooth does support the profile needed (SPP) but how well may be in question.

This is an update for others using a BlackBerry Z10. As pointed by the developer, the connection problem was the blackberry software I was using, an unreleased version 10.3.0. Once I've upgraded to 10.3.1.2072 everything worked just fine. I've downloaded the Pro version of LeafSpy using the pre-installed Amazon app store. I managed to change the Auto unlock to shift to park, (the most annoying factory setting when combined with un-illuminated door lock/unlock button) awesome! Tire pressure readings is an other feature I like, 33.5-33.75, a bit low, I'll have to fix that. Everything else looks good, I guess, I still have a lot to learn about the meaning of all that information. Turbo3 thanks a lot for for your prompt response and help, great support for your app!

I just learned of an interesting bug.

If you install LeafSpy (any version) on a new device and the new device language has been set to either Norwegian, German or French most text strings will be blank. If you go to Settings the language selection will show Japanese (three kanji characters) when it is not.

When you first install the app no language has been set so the app checks the language of the Android device. This will auto select English, Japanese, Norwegian, German or French. However, at this time I have only filled in the language tables for English and Japanese. The others are almost all empty strings.

You can see the internally selected language in the two letters following the app version number ("en", "ja", "de", "fr", "nb"...).

The fix after installing is to go to Settings and select English as the language. The Settings menu currently only has two options for language English and not English with "not English" showing Japanese which is why all the other languages will show Japanese on this screen.

I will fix this bug on the next release which will also include all the fixes/improvement from the iOS version of LeafSpy.

My thanks to Johannes for reporting this bug.

Back