Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lorenfb said:
TimLee said:
lorenfb said:
It appears that efficiency is a calculated value which can only be set for the present session
of LeafSpy. It always reverts to the last calculated value.
No.
It is a user entered value.
The app saves the value you enter.
You don't have to enter it again unless you want to change it to a different value.

Thanks for the response, but using my three devices (phone, Nexus 7, Tab 8) all fail to
retain the updated value.
That is very strange. I just tested on my Nexus 7 and it saves and restores the efficiency number just fine.

Are you using the "Exit" selection to exit the program or are you killing the app by going to the recent apps window and swapping the app off the screen?

If to kill the app by swiping it off the screen the setting will not be saved since that happens on exit not when the app if killed.

WisJim said:
nerys said:
there should be a specific spot on the screen to "invoke" the menu

either a hamburger button _ 3 of those stacked. or 3 dots ... somewhere

tap that to get into the menu.

Tapping the 3 dots does nothing in Leaf Spy Pro for me.

And I have to reboot everytime I want to get the menu.
What android device do you have? Does it have a recent apps key (overlapping rectangles)?

If it has the recent apps key then just hold it down to get the menu to display.

Does anything happen if you just hold down on the upper right corner of the screen?

What do you do now to get the menu to appear after a reboot?

Turbo3 said:
That is very strange. I just tested on my Nexus 7 and it saves and restores the efficiency number just fine.

Are you using the "Exit" selection to exit the program or are you killing the app by going to the recent apps window and swapping the app off the screen?

If to kill the app by swiping it off the screen the setting will not be saved since that happens on exit not when the app if killed.

Yes, my Nexus 7 (OS 4.4.4) does remember using 'exit' but my Samsung Tab (OS 4.4.2) does not.
Have not tried my cell phone (OS 4.2.X).

Turbo3 said:
What android device do you have? Does it have a recent apps key (overlapping rectangles)?

If it has the recent apps key then just hold it down to get the menu to display.

Does anything happen if you just hold down on the upper right corner of the screen?

What do you do now to get the menu to appear after a reboot?

++++
I have a Motorola Droid Turbo and it has the "recent apps" key. Holding it down while Leaf Spy is displayed does nothing and when I release it Leaf Spy goes back to the "recent apps"
The orange overlay appears as it should if I tap the upper right corner of the screen..
Immediately after rebooting, the menu will appear by tapping the upper right corner but won't appear if I close and reopen Leaf Spy.
+++++++
Now, 15 minutes after typing the above, I got the phone out again to make sure I described everything accurately and the menu comes up properly. It wasn't doing that as recently as 2 hours ago, though. So everything seems to be working okay--hope it keeps doing it!

lorenfb said:
Turbo3 said:

Yes, my Nexus 7 (OS 4.4.4) does remember using 'exit' but my Samsung Tab (OS 4.4.2) does not.
Have not tried my cell phone (OS 4.2.X).

My early Samsung phone (Skyocket) works fine. The problem is with my latest Samsung device (Tab 4)
which lacks a settings icon like the older Androids. That results in having to use the LeafSpy settings icon
in the upper right to exit the app.

Turbo,

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0" and Leaf spy lite to test all the equipment.

I purchased a RioRand RD8 ODBII and it is saying that it doesn't support the AT command FCSH. My guess is I need to return the RD8 and get a different ODBII device. Can anyone recommend an ODBII that they know works?

Thanks!!!

Relayer1956 said:
Turbo,

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0" and Leaf spy lite to test all the equipment.

I purchased a RioRand RD8 ODBII and it is saying that it doesn't support the AT command FCSH. My guess is I need to return the RD8 and get a different ODBII device. Can anyone recommend an ODBII that they know works?

Thanks!!!

Use the "OBD Diagnostic Interface" BT device found on Amazon.
BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY
Or this one also on Amazon;
SimvalleyTM Mini Bluetooth OBD 2 Automotive Diagnostics Scanner for Android

Turbo3 what is the status on your port of LEAF Spy to the iPhone platform?

Just recently purchased an iPhone 6 plus and would love to get LEAF Spy running there.
Thanks,
KJD

Turbo3 said:
Finished porting the battery cell graph code for screen 1. Still need to add the status and SOC fields to the bottom area.

Android on top and iPhone 4 on bottom.
XUctON.jpg

KJD said:
Turbo3 what is the status on your port of LEAF Spy to the iPhone platform?

Just recently purchased an iPhone 6 plus and would love to get LEAF Spy running there.
Thanks,
KJD

Turbo3 said:
Finished porting the battery cell graph code for screen 1. Still need to add the status and SOC fields to the bottom area.
Please see the new "iOS Version of Leaf Spy development" thread for current Leaf Spy iOS status.

Hi, I bought a Mini V1.5 ELM327 OBD2 from Amazon and I'm trying to get it to connect with a Blackberry Z10. I've downloaded the Leaf Spy Lite from Google app store but I can't connect it to the OBD2 adapter. The adapter shows as paired with the phone but is not seen by Leaf Spy Lite. I get this error message "[Bts] bt socket connect failed". Can anyone give me some advice?
Thanks.
K2jgW3.png

userneym said:
Hi, I bought a Mini V1.5 ELM327 OBD2 from Amazon and I'm trying to get it to connect with a Blackberry Z10. I've downloaded the Leaf Spy Lite from Google app store but I can't connect it to the OBD2 adapter. The adapter shows as paired with the phone but is not seen by Leaf Spy Lite. I get this error message "[Bts] bt socket connect failed". Can anyone give me some advice?
Thanks.
I would suggest you go into the Leaf Spy settings screen and try one of the other Bluetooth Ports. Try Secure first then Port 16. Change Port then exit and restart app.

Turbo3 said:
userneym said:
Thanks.
I would suggest you go into the Leaf Spy settings screen and try one of the other Bluetooth Ports. Try Secure first then Port 16. Change Port then exit and restart app.

Tried it Turbo3, it didn't work. I must be doing something wrong, do you have any other suggestions?
Thanks.

userneym said:
Turbo3 said:
userneym said:
Thanks.

Tried it Turbo3, it didn't work. I must be doing something wrong, do you have any other suggestions?
Thanks.

Isn't BB running Android apps on top of some sort of compatibility layer? These things are usually buggy and often don't offer full feature set that is available on the real Android OS.

Valdemar said:
Isn't BB running Android apps on top of some sort of compatibility layer? These things are usually buggy and often don't offer full feature set that is available on the real Android OS.

I find that most of the Android apps work just fine, except for some dependent of Google services or maps. But I'll try with an android phone to see if this is the problem. Thanks.

userneym said:
Valdemar said:

I find that most of the Android apps work just fine, except for some dependent of Google services or maps. But I'll try with an android phone to see if this is the problem. Thanks.

I'm no Android/bluetooth expert, but it may be that Leaf Spy is relying on some not very widely used bluetooth features that the most of the apps don't need, and BB isn't supporting them properly. Do Android apps that rely on bluetooth services generally run fine on BB? Just curious...

userneym said:
Turbo3 said:
userneym said:
Thanks.

Thanks.
I just checked the list of installed devices for both Lite and Pro and don't see any Blackberry or Z10 devices listed.

Please go into the app settings and go to the bottom and enable "Trace ELM (on restart)". Exit app then restart and let it try to connect for a minute. Then send me the TRC and ERRdata .txt files created in the directory LEAF_BT_CAN/DEBUG_FILES. Send to email address listed on About screen.

The Z10 Bluetooth does support the profile needed (SPP) but how well may be in question.

Valdemar said:
I'm no Android/bluetooth expert, but it may be that Leaf Spy is relying on some not very widely used bluetooth features that the most of the apps don't need, and BB isn't supporting them properly. Do Android apps that rely on bluetooth services generally run fine on BB? Just curious...

I'm using Spotify to stream to a bluetooth speaker and I don't have problems.

Turbo3 said:
I just checked the list of installed devices for both Lite and Pro and don't see any Blackberry or Z10 devices listed.

Please go into the app settings and go to the bottom and enable "Trace ELM (on restart)". Exit app then restart and let it try to connect for a minute. Then send me the TRC and ERRdata .txt files created in the directory LEAF_BT_CAN/DEBUG_FILES. Send to email address listed on About screen.

The Z10 Bluetooth does support the profile needed (SPP) but how well may be in question.

Thanks Turbo, I'll do it as soon as I get a chance.

Turbo3 will be happy to know that I finally stepped up to the plate and purchased LEAF Spy Pro. I was still using a Beta version of Lite(?) as it happens, which I actually still prefer for getting my degradation readings because it shows SOH/Capacity to 2 decimal places (unless that's configurable in Pro?).

I had my car into the dealer and he said I was showing a code related to the parking brake switch (C10E3), which could just have been because I had it disconnected while I was working on my LED shifter, but that was almost 2 weeks ago and I would have thought it would have reset itself by now. Anyway, I wanted to see if that was so and if I could use LEAF Spy to clear the code, but LEAF Spy Pro isn't reporting any DTCs to reset, though that could be because a) the dealer already reset it b) it finally reset itself or c) LEAF Spy Pro doesn't catch all codes? Thoughts?

I suppose I could disconnect the switch and force the code again, but why bother messing with something that ain't broke.

mwalsh said:
Turbo3 will be happy to know that I finally stepped up to the plate and purchased LEAF Spy Pro. I was still using a Beta version of Lite(?) as it happens, which I actually still prefer for getting my degradation readings because it shows SOH/Capacity to 2 decimal places (unless that's configurable in Pro?).

I had my car into the dealer and he said I was showing a code related to the parking brake switch (C10E3), which could just have been because I had it disconnected while I was working on my LED shifter, but that was almost 2 weeks ago and I would have thought it would have reset itself by now. Anyway, I wanted to see if that was so and if I could use LEAF Spy to clear the code, but LEAF Spy Pro isn't reporting any DTCs to reset, though that could be because a) the dealer already reset it b) it finally reset itself or c) LEAF Spy Pro doesn't catch all codes? Thoughts?

I suppose I could disconnect the switch and force the code again, but why bother messing with something that ain't broke.
I don't recall SOH being available pre Leaf Spy. SOH is a value held in a 7 bit number so it is an integer (0 to 100+). There are no factions available.

Capacity was a calculated number not one from the Leaf. It was derived by dividing AHr (which is available to 2 decimal places on Leaf Spy) by a constant. Since this constant was suppose to be the original factory max AHr when the battery was new but was not really a constant because each battery has a different starting value the number was dropped from Leaf Spy. Just track the AHr number instead which comes directly from the Leaf. Your old Capacity numbers can be converted to AHr by just multiplying by the constant that was used (should be on the settings screen). Or you can recreate the Capacity number by dividing AHr from Leaf Spy by the constant that was used before.

As for the DTC it should have been displayed. If you ever recreate and Leaf Spy Pro does not display it then take an ELM trace and send it to me.

Back