Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any of my testers done enough driving with the latest test version to create a trip log and test out the new viewer function?

The final release will include L1/L2 and QC counts as part of each trip log entry. A step in the L1/L2 count does not necessarily mean a charge took place if you are using the Leaf timer function. Only that the Leaf was plugged into an EVSE.

Here is the latest Trip Log format with L1/L2 and QC counts added at the end.

Viewed on a Nexus 7 which can display all columns on one screen.

CkGFeu.png

TimLee said:
lorenfb said:
... A more meaningful data evaluation would occur when
data gathering was performed monthly or every 1000 miles. ...
Incorrect.
If data has noise and LEAF data clearly does, good data evaluation is still done better with frequent data collection and then hiding the noise by using running averages or curve fits.
Less frequent data collection data points still have noise so that will be less effective data evaluation.

Disagree!

Again, hardly worth the effort on a daily basis since the data are NOT changing significantly
or are changing randomly, i.e. the integral of noise over time is zero whether you're doing averaging
or "curve fiting". Or maybe one needs to do a Fast Fourier Analysis of the daily data, right?
There may be some meaningful data in that noise!

So what is the hypothesis to be evaluated by monitoring daily fully charged battery data?

Let's not add "noise" to this thread and avoid issues other than those that directly relate to LeafSpy
and its operation.

lorenfb said:
TimLee said:
lorenfb said:
... A more meaningful data evaluation would occur when
data gathering was performed monthly or every 1000 miles. ...
Incorrect.
If data has noise and LEAF data clearly does, good data evaluation is still done better with frequent data collection and then hiding the noise by using running averages or curve fits.
Less frequent data collection data points still have noise so that will be less effective data evaluation.

Disagree!

Again, hardly worth the effort on a daily basis since the data are NOT changing significantly
or are changing randomly, i.e. the integral of noise over time is zero whether you're doing averaging
or "curve fiting". Or maybe one needs to do a Fast Fourier Analysis of the daily data, right?
There may be some meaningful data in that noise!

So what is the hypothesis to be evaluated by monitoring daily fully charged battery data?

Let's not add "noise" to this thread and avoid issues other than those that directly relate to LeafSpy
and its operation.
Please move any further discussion on data analysis to the "Discuss data from the LEAF Battery app, and Comparisons" topic as it has no place here. No need to respond here to this request. Thanks.

jlv said:
My feature request: when Leaf Spy starts, if it sees the L1/L2 counter has increased since the last run, a popup or button would appear to ask me to confirm if the car were fully charged. If I acknowledged, it would log this state as a new field in the log (it would be even better if the one line also got written to a new "charged" log). This would allow me to quickly get from the logs the data from when my car was fully charged.

I have added the L1/L2 and QC counts to the trip log file. That should contain enough information to tell you if it was just charged.

At end of a 100% charge the voltage will be 394 volts. So if you see a voltage of 392 to 394 at start up it was just charged. Plus the Gids will be higher than the last trip Gid end value.

L1/L2 increasing alone is not enough as it always steps when you plug in if you have the timer enabled independent of a charge having taken place.

For good data collection things should be done automatically if possible. That means a popup should be the last option.

Just uploaded official released versions of Leaf Spy. Should be available to everyone for install within 90 minutes.

0.30.22 Leaf Spy Lite
0.34.42 Leaf Spy
0.35.59 Leaf Spy Pro

Additions since last general release include:

- Soft Menu key in upper right corner
- Overlay Help to show touch sensitive areas of the screen and their function. Hold down soft menu key to activate.
- Trip/Charge Recorder (filename now ends in a "B" due to adding L1/L2 and QC counts to file)
- View Trip/Charge Log (tap trip timer at top of screen 4)

A trip "End" is now defined as either when you turn the Leaf off or you exit the app. A beep has been added when the trip save to SD card has been completed.

Started work on the iOS version of Leaf Spy last Saturday with the purchase of B4i. Using B4i makes for a much easier port to iOS as the basic language is the same as used in the android versions of Leaf Spy.

Screens will look very similar to the current ones.

At this point I have ported over some of the key display code like the graphing routine and multi screen handling code as well as the entire lower layer routines that send requests and receives all the data from the Leaf and store it to internal registers.

Here is the first results of connecting the test app to my Leaf using an iPhone 4 and a Wifi OBDII adapter.
Kth0ed.jpg

One difference I see is the app only runs while the app is on the screen. When moved to the background everything stops.

Now that I have the connection to the Leaf and the capture code running I can fill in the various screens with the stored data.

Official release will be some time in early 2015. I may make a free "Lite" version so more people can test and verify the connection code I use with various Wifi adapters.

If you have an iOS device and a Wifi OBDII adapter I would be interested in the settings you see on the Wifi page when connected to the OBDII adapter using the DHCP setting.

- IP Address
- Router
- DNS

patrick0101 said:
Can you include the number of bars on screen 1?
I will need some help understanding the request.

The number of bars = number of battery cells = 96 which is listed on the x axis.

What more did you want?

When finished porting over all the code screen 1 of the iOS version will be exactly the same as screen 1 of the android version.

Turbo3 said:
patrick0101 said:
The number of bars = number of battery cells = 96 which is listed on the x axis.
What more did you want?
I'm sorry. I was not clear. I meant the number of capacity bars. I was asking if this could be reported on screen 1, e.g. with the charge counts. Is this data available to the app?

mwalsh said:
Is there a reason for only going with WiFi on the iOS version and not BT? I seem to recall that the BT ELM paired OK with my iPhone when I first got it (though it's been a while, so i might be misremembering).
The first release of B4i does not yet support Bluetooth but only Wifi. So at the moment I am limited by the tool. I expect BT support will be added later at which point it will be added to the iOS version of Leaf Spy.

As for adapters, a standard (i.e. cheap) ELM327 will not connect to an iOS device unless it is jail broken. Standard iOS only recognizes approved BT adapters. At the moment I have two Bluetooth OBDII adapters that work with iOS and actually had some test code written in Objective-C that linked with one of them.

I just completed porting over the code that saves and restores the data read from the Leaf. It was a little more work as B4i does not support TextWriter that had Writeline and Readline command support. Everything is now done with Lists.

Now that the code to read Leaf data and save/restore it has been ported over and works I can go back to getting more of the screen code ported over without having to go out and capture data from the Leaf each time I make a change in order to populate the screen with real data.

patrick0101 said:
Turbo3 said:
patrick0101 said:
What more did you want?
I'm sorry. I was not clear. I meant the number of capacity bars. I was asking if this could be reported on screen 1, e.g. with the charge counts. Is this data available to the app?
I can put that on my list of things to look at when I get back to adding features again. Which will have to wait until the iOS port is fully functional.

The code for the different platforms needs to be kept in sync so it is not a good idea to be changing both at the same time. I am pretty sure I can read the capacity bars but don't have the commands documented which means I will need to do some probing and tracing of the CAN bus.

mwalsh said:
Turbo3 said:
As for adapters, a standard (i.e. cheap) ELM327 will not connect to an iOS device unless it is jail broken.

That explains it...my last phone (and probably the one I tried with) was.

Thanks for getting back to me on WiFi vs. BT.
If anyone would like to loan me an old jail broken iPhone (no service needed) I could use it to debug/verify Leaf Spy operation with cheap ELM327 adapters (once B4i has BT support).

Turbo3 said:
If anyone would like to loan me an old jail broken iPhone (no service needed) I could use it to debug/verify Leaf Spy operation with cheap ELM327 adapters (once B4i has BT support).

I gave mine to one of the kids. I could see if he still has it, but I doubt it would be any good for you - iPhone 3 with iOS 5-something on it, as I recall.

Hmm...now I'm not so sure. I looked back to when I bought my SimValley ELM327 - it was June of 2013. This phone I'm carrying now, which isn't jailbroken just carrier unlocked, I started using in September 2012.

So, obviously, something I now have to try this weekend before the curiosity of it all makes me insane. ;)

Got screen capture working on the iPhone that I am using for testing and also learned how to transfer it to a PC.

I probably will be moving the soft menu key from the top right corner of the graph to the right side of the Navigation bar where it normally would be on an iOS device.

wYWsQw.png

Back