out of state roller-coaster

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defiancecp

Man, I'm frustrated, and gotta vent a little.

I'm in Arkansas right now, and I placed my preorder within the first days of preorder availability. I knew we weren't an initial launch state, and that's fine; I can wait a few months. Especially since all the initial rumors were that the final phase rollout would have been around march/april 2011 timeframes.

So welcome to July, when I received an email sayng that it was going to be late 2011 - over a year after launch. Again, a few months, staging the rollout, that kind of thing - fine, but a full year between phases??

That was pretty frustrating - especially since I've been holding off on retiring my old vehicle, and I don't think it's going to survive another summer. So I considered buying from a launch market - I'm just a short hop away from Memphis, so I called a couple dealers in that area, and they all told me it shouldn't be a problem ordering from them, so I chose one and set them as my preferred dealer, smiled a happy smile, and went on my way.

Fast-forward to yesterday - Ordering opens, but I still have no idea when I should be eligible. Web site still has me locked out, so I call the dealership to see if they've got any insight. They tell me I show up as the first order on their list, but that I'm not eligible because of the EVSE evaluation bug.

So I spent 2hrs+ on the phone yesterday trying to track down the EVSE waiver, which apparently doesn't exist. Whole other discussion about that going on, so I won't rehash it, but in the end, after talking with AV and agreeing to buy the EVSE direct from them, I just decided to schedule the eval for as far out as possible in order to get past the roadblock. Only it won't work - because of my Arkansas address.

Ok, fine, so I set up a memphis PO box (I'm going to cancel the home evaluation anyway), and called to change my address. Now the person I spoke to became downright combattive, accusing me of trying to "cheat" the system. But, in the end, after giving a huge speel about the disadvantages of buying outside of launch market (no infrastructure (don't care), warranty support (I'm fine dealing with memphis for warranty), transport (I can transport the car if needed)...), he finally agreed to change the address. With yet another roadblock taken care of, I felt like I was making some progress, so I scheduled the evse eval, but the site still wouldn't let me through.

So I checked in with the dealer again, and they said they believe it would be 24 hours until it updated in their system. hm... Great. Ok, let's confirm that - so I got on the online chat and asked if that was correct, and if I'd be able to order tomorrow (or if not, when), and the rep told me that it would be fall/winter 2011 before my account unlocked. I pointed out that the account had changed, and that I should be in the launch queue somewhere now, and asked if they would correct that - they agreed that it looked incorect, said they didn't have the access to, but they would escalate the question. I thanked them and expected to wait for a supervisor - but was shocked when they said the supervisor would contact me in 3-5 business days... WHA?? wow. Again, remaining polite, I told them I would try other means of contact, but go ahead and begin that process for me.

So I figured, maybe someone on the phone can help. I called and the guy I spoke to refused, saying it was impossible (Oh, come on, you can't tell me you've created a system that does not allow for correction of incorrect info under any circumstances), and that even if it was possible, he wouldn't do it. I asked what I could do to be able to go forward with my purchase as I had been told I could from the start, and he said it was impossible. Especially since I didn't even have a physical address in memphis. I offered to provide a physical address, and he said, well in that case we'd require a credit card billed to that address. I offered to provide a credit card billed to a physical address in Memphis, and he finally said, even that wouldn't work, you'd have to cancel your preorder and make a new one with that credit card. I pointed out to him that the CEO stated that all 2011 models were already preordered, so if I made a new preorder now, it would put me in the 2012 queue. His response was, well, those are your choices.

I spoke to the dealer one more time and they said they believed it would be fine, that the order would work tomorrow (today), but so far it hasn't (I got in earlier when the site wasn't down), and I see no reason to believe this problem is just going to fix itself...

So great - I'm just trying to buy the car as I was told long ago I could, and every time I make it past one obstacle, the reps on the hotline keep making up a new one. I know what I'm getting into with this car. I have the money, want to buy it, was among the very first people to preorder, and was told that in these circumstances I would be able buy in the tennessee wave somewhere. I have found a dealer that wants to sell it to me, and is eligible to do so.

Does anyone have any suggestions, someone that I could speak to that would be able to help?

I'm in Arkansas right now, and I placed my preorder within the first days of preorder availability.

within the first days would have you ordering in October or November...only people who ordered very very quickly (first 13 minutes) got a August order.

Gavin

Gavin said:
I'm in Arkansas right now, and I placed my preorder within the first days of preorder availability.

within the first days would have you ordering in October or November...only people who ordered very very quickly (first 13 minutes) got a August order.

Gavin

Hey Defiancecp: Life is just too short for someone to have to put up with what you're going thru. I'm in San Diego (roll out state) and expect to be able to order sometime in January, with delivery probably in April-June 2011. Know what? I can live with that. It's only a car, for Chrissake! Besides; by January, all the ordering bugs will probably have been ironed out, and I expect smooth sailing during the ordering process. :)

November, October, January, April... all those would be ok. I can't wait for Oct-Dec of next year to even start the process though. I will be forced to get a new vehicle before then. And I drive my vehicles for their useful life, so if my next vehicle is not electric it will likely be 5yrs or more.

Gavin said:

Gavin
I placed my reservation within the first 3 hours in CA, and got an October order month. I agree with Gavin - you're probably further down the que based on when you made your $99 reservation, that, combined with the state you listed when you reserved. I don't think there's anything you can do about it, other than invent a time machine and go back to reservation day and change the state you listed when you reserved. I think we all agree that our reservation numbers are partially based on the time/date reserved and roll-out state order.

Just to clarify, I don't mind that I can't order now - if I were told today that I could order in April 2011, I'd be happy. Fall/Winter 2011, however, is unworkable, and everyone on the EV hotline I've spoken with insists that I have no other options.

SL with QC yes... was hoping for black...

cinmar said:
I think we all agree that our reservation numbers are partially based on the time/date reserved and roll-out state order.

Hmm. This can looks interesting...

The thing is, I think the reservation number cannot be used to determine location, date and time or any other order specifics. I believe it is a hash (i.e. CRC32) of your personal information, which means it can be used to verify your information against the reservation but you cannot determine any reservation details from the reservation number.

...uh, oh! Worms!!!

Timehorse, we didn't mean the number itself means anything. Just that your file has those things in it, when you orderered, what zip codes, etc. And your reservation number points, in the Nissan database, to that information, and thus to a Nissan internal-only "reservation list" where we have a specific position. Not the reservation number we can see, but the "reservation number" on the list that we do not get to see.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm outside the roll-out area but within range of Memphis also, and was wondering what would happen if I changed my preferred dealer to one in Memphis. Now I know - nothing but frustration.

In any event, I think I'm just as happy waiting a year. It will be good to hear how the first takers like the car once they actually have it and have driven it for a few months, and any initial problems with the cars will hopefully have been taken care of. I'll feel much more comfortable about giving my final answer on buy, lease, or cancel.

defiancecp said:
Man, I'm frustrated, and gotta vent a little.

I'm in Arkansas right now, and I placed my preorder within the first days of preorder availability. I knew we weren't an initial launch state, and that's fine; I can wait a few months. Especially since all the initial rumors were that the final phase rollout would have been around march/april 2011 timeframes.

So welcome to July, when I received an email sayng that it was going to be late 2011 - over a year after launch. Again, a few months, staging the rollout, that kind of thing - fine, but a full year between phases???

I guess that's one thing... If we don't get cars til fall/winter 2011, that should be 2012 model year leafs, right?

but regardless of how patient I am, I gotta get to work and back... Anyone have suggestions on a relatively short term vehicles? Shortest I know of is a 3yr lease... and I need something for <1yr... I could probably wait for mid-2011 and only need it for 3-6 months.

Maybe the truck is fixable... but I'm really thinking, with something like 250k miles on the speedometer and an overheating issue, it's probably not going to be anything less than a rebuild and/or new engine.

Maybe I should start scouring craigslist...

Have you considered alternatives like Volt or Plugin Prius. Either won't be ideal, but might give you another 3 or 4 years till the EV technology and Battery life matures.

Or if your Leaf comes before that, you might be able sell one of the cars and still even out due to the rebates, etc.

Yeah, I've looked at the volt... but it'll be later than the leaf before it gets good distribution, and early distribution is controlled by the dealers based on bids (meaning they'll be going much higher than the $8k already higher MSRP). I'm checking out the prius plugin as we speak, but it looks like it's further out too.

I think maybe my best solution really will be just to rebuild the engine on this old truck... I'll spend more than the bluebook fixing it, but I guess that'll still be cheaper than buying something to tide me over...

Honestly, your order date may be late, but even for us with dates like Nov '10, we will be getting in Apr or June '11. So by the time your order date comes, Nissan would have already started manufacturing Leaf in US and you delivery date will be way sooner.

So if it is any consolation, you are looking only around 6 months delay then most of us. And also you would have lot more choices, because it seems every manufacturer is coming up with their own version electric or plugin hybrid in 2012.

You will still need a stop gap car/truck till then. And might even consider it to keep it longer as a backup car, because Leaf would only take you 100 miles in a charge. And you will have to pay the insurance :-(

leaf561 said:
You will still need a stop gap car/truck till then. And might even consider it to keep it longer as a backup car, because Leaf would only take you 100 miles in a charge. And you will have to pay the insurance :-(

defiancecp: I'll have a 2004 Toyota Matrix up for sale coming up in about 4 mos if you're interested! :D

Well, I haven't driven any of my vehicles more than 100 miles a day in months! :) Plus, the wife will be keeping her car (subaru wrx) until it starts becoming more trouble than its worth to maintain, and that could be awhile :)

defiancecp said:
Anyone have suggestions on a relatively short term vehicles? Shortest I know of is a 3yr lease... and I need something for <1yr... I could probably wait for mid-2011 and only need it for 3-6 months.

I was recently in this situation when my car was nearly totaled last week -- looks like it'll pull through though (with the still broken turn signal! :evil:) -- so basically I faced the same problem. What I came up with is

+ Rental over say 3 months is too expensive, but not too bad is to tide you over a month or 2
+ Buying a nice used car to tide you over will leave you trade-in value and if you get the right vehicle, may not even depreciate much over the year, see EVNow's link to my previous inquiry: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/motoring/in-hot-pursuit-of-the-holy-grail-of-modern-motoring-2061070.html Alternatively, you could look into a nice, used Prius to get some fuel efficiency and better resale value. This allows you to keep the car for an extended period if the LEAF is delayed for you.
+ My favorite is to simply go to one of the Lease trading sites and take over someone's existing lease. You can enter the period and select the payment range and mileage allotments and although you may have to ship the car (drive it) some distance if it's one you like, it's a nice, easy way to get you from here to there in time! :)

Anyway, good luck!

TimeHorse said:
+ My favorite is to simply go to one of the Lease trading sites and take over someone's existing lease. You can enter the period and select the payment range and mileage allotments and although you may have to ship the car (drive it) some distance if it's one you like, it's a nice, easy way to get you from here to there in time! :)

Good idea.

Here is another idea. Go to the Nissan dealer you have/plan to order from. Pick a used car from their lot with promise of return to get Leaf - probably for a small charge (i.e. what you pay now - agreed trade in value).

I've had to return my lease in may. Earliest for the leaf is December. I decided to bridge the gap with an electric bike. No way I'm buying an other ice car if I can avoid it. It's been great so far. For 20-30 miles of range ( no pedaling) at 28-30 mph, you're looking at ~ $1500 + an existing bike. It's perfect for 10 miles each way. So I your commute is short it's a viable and clean way to wait for the leaf.

gudy said:
I've had to return my lease in may. Earliest for the leaf is December. I decided to bridge the gap with an electric bike. No way I'm buying an other ice car if I can avoid it. It's been great so far. For 20-30 miles of range ( no pedaling) at 28-30 mph, you're looking at ~ $1500 + an existing bike. It's perfect for 10 miles each way. So I your commute is short it's a viable and clean way to wait for the leaf.

I was about to suggest that - but he is not in Redwood City, CA ! Arkansas will get cold (and may be some snow too) in winter ...

Back