NC Leaf Orders

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaryLeaf

North Carolina Reservation Holders:
Please post here once you are able to get a Home Assessment and/or place an order for a Nissan Leaf. Also we can discuss the best dealers to work with in our area.

Stan
4/23 Reservation

I'm currently researching the dealers - so far, I have found that Leith Nissan and Southern States Nissan is at MSRP. Michael Jordan Nissan is $999+MSRP. What have you found out?

CaryLeaf said:
North Carolina Reservation Holders:
Please post here once you are able to get a Home Assessment and/or place an order for a Nissan Leaf. Also we can discuss the best dealers to work with in our area.

Stan
4/23 Reservation

Stan, it is my understanding that for $239 you can get the EVSE that comes with the car upgraded to 240 volts, and an electrician can put a 240v outlet for it in your garage inexpensively. Don't waste your money!

Stan, it is my understanding that for $239 you can get the EVSE that comes with the car upgraded to 240 volts, and an electrician can put a 240v outlet for it ....

SPX is coming out tomorrow for a quote on installing a 240V line (Greensboro NC);
I've read a lot on this forum, but I'm unclear about the $239 upgrade -please explain or add a link re what this means? The 2012 should have QC. Thanks in advance!

Nearest Leaf-certified Nissan dealers are VannYork (High Pt) and Carolina (Burlington) - no price data yet...

lspooz said:
Stan, it is my understanding that for $239 you can get the EVSE that comes with the car upgraded to 240 volts, and an electrician can put a 240v outlet for it ....

SPX is coming out tomorrow for a quote on installing a 240V line (Greensboro NC);
I've read a lot on this forum, but I'm unclear about the $239 upgrade -please explain or add a link re what this means? The 2012 should have QC. Thanks in advance!

See thread below. Essentially you can upgrade the 120V L1 EVSE that comes with the car to a 240V L2 EVSE for a few hundred dollars. Much cheaper than any other L2 EVSE out there. QC port is for quick DC charging and is only on the SL.

EVSE upgrade thread

tretola said:
I'm currently researching the dealers - so far, I have found that Leith Nissan and Southern States Nissan is at MSRP. Michael Jordan Nissan is $999+MSRP. What have you found out?

To summarize my experience:

Southern States Nissan - MSRP and most knowledgeable about the order process. Very proactive as far as trying to get information from Nissan which is why I decided to go with them.
Crossroads Nissan - MSRP and knowledgeable about the order process. They are committed to selling the Leaf but a bit skeptical of the process. They were concerned that orphans on the east coast wouldn't be nearly as in demand as orphans in California and that they could possibly be stuck with several. They also had some fleet orders for the city of Raleigh which would take priority over other customers and thought that would eat up their first month's allotment of cars.
Leith Nissan - MSRP but couldn't find anyone knowledgeable about the Leaf ordering process. If I asked questions about ordering they just shrugged their shoulders and said Nissan was not giving them anymore information than they were me. They did however get their EVSEs installed at the dealership fairly early.
Michael Jordan Nissan - MSRP + 1K. As it was explained to me the 1K was for their Platinum service, which includes things like free oil changes and a loaner car while vehicle was in the shop for the life of the car. Seriously?

These are the only dealers I checked out and I'm not sure if they are going to charge the $850 destination fee which is separate from MSRP. Southern States did not include the $850 in their quote and assured me that despite the fact that the quote form on the website says that the $850 was not included in the quote, that there would be no additional fees or charges on top of what they quoted me.

Can someone help me understand the ordering process. I reserved on 8/4/11. Later that same day I received an email from Nissan, thanking me for my reservation, and stated the next step was to request a quote. When I click on the link to request a quote, it takes me to my account, but the order your Leaf tab is still not available. I called Nissan and they said I would be able to request a quote the next day (8/5). Late in the day on the 5th I called again, they said we are having problems with the web site, and it would be tomorrow (8/6). Late in the day on the 6th I called again, they said we are still having trouble with the web site, and it would be Monday (8/8). I called again on the 8th, and they said, that the reason I can't request a quote, is because I haven't been invited yet. I explained the email that I received on the 4th, and they said that it was just a thank you for reserving a leaf. They said that I have not received the email to actually request a quote yet, that it would be coming later. I asked when, they said maybe next week. Does this sound right to anyone? Is this really the process, or is there a problem, and I just haven't found the right person to fix it?

Update: Not even an hour after I posted this, my request a quote opened up, and I was able to submit a RAQ. Never got the second email, but I am happy again. Now waiting for the quote!

NuclearLeaf said:
I called again on the 8th, and they said, that the reason I can't request a quote, is because I haven't been invited yet. I explained the email that I received on the 4th, and they said that it was just a thank you for reserving a leaf. They said that I have not received the email to actually request a quote yet, that it would be coming later. I asked when, they said maybe next week. Does this sound right to anyone? Is this really the process, or is there a problem, and I just haven't found the right person to fix it?

I am thinking that everyone in Tier 2 who has RAQed so far was in the first 20,000 reservations. I bet new reservations need to wait a Nissan Minute before being invited to proceed. Just a hunch.

Greensboro:
I looked at price and dealer reviews [a number of the 'customer' reviews are almost certainly from employees given the stilted writing style and resemblance to copy within their own ads - even a few that make negative comments about competing Nissan sites!]
Largest # of customer reviews from Googling "review _____ Nissan", also a fair number at dealerrater.com; NO useful ratings for local Nissans at AngiesList. I also checked BBB.org for objective data, and added info from the Raleigh NC thread [mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5007]
Modern Nissan Winston-Salem------ORDERED 8/10! MSRP + $495 +$850 del +3% tax +$144 tag/file BBB: A+ Contact: Joe Joy It seems odd but Joe said I was the first to place an actual order thru them, yet Vann York had filled their allocation??
Crown Nissan Greensboro-----------Not LEAF certified yet - charger installed last week, staff training class soon Contact: Brad
Carolina Nissan Burlington----------Unofficial: MSRP + $599 + $850 deliv.+ 3%tax + $144 tag/file BBB: A+ Contact: Ricky Duncan
Vann York High Point----------------Unofficial: MSRP + $390 + $850 deliv.+ 3%tax + $144 tag/file BBB: A _________ Monthly allocation filled for 8/11?
Ben Mynatt Salisbury--------------- (not called yet)
Southern States near Raleigh ----- MSRP + $____+ $850 deliv.+ 3%tax + $143 tag/file__________________________Monthly allocation filled for 8/11?
Crossroads near Raleigh -----------MSRP + $499 + $850 deliv.+ 3%tax + $143 tag/file
Leith Nissan near Raleigh ----------MSRP + $399 + $850 deliv.+ 3%tax + $143 tag/file __________________________Monthly allocation filled for 8/11?

Electrician is coming next week to install the SPX powerXpress,

My experience so far:

8/4/11 Reserved my new Leaf.
8/8/11 Request for a Quote.
8/9/11 Quote received and accepted.
8/9/11 Order confirmed.
8/13/11 Estimated Delivery: Pending
9/9/11 Estimated Delivery: Month of December 2011

I went with Southern States Nissan (Raleigh): MSRP + 3% tax + $444 (doc fee) + $74 (tag & titling)
I plan to purchase a EVSE Upgrade from evseupgrade.com

All Triangle NC dealers had sold out of their puny quotas by last week, so I started looking around close to me, but outside the Triangle. Like the other post, I discovered that Burlington said MSRP, but then when I dug deeper, they added in $850 destination charge + $600 service fee. I asked if they would budge and they said no. I figured that would be the theme especially since the triangle dealerships are sold out. So I gave up on all NC dealers and went with Mossy instead (yes San Diego, California). For MSRP + destination charge they'll ship it to my door! (I do have to pay $77 for San Diego DMV charges/taxes, but that's better than a $600 "service fee".)

Leon's great!

I'll miss getting the 2hr pick-up-your-new-car meeting, but I figured I can skim the owner's manual much faster than that! And who knows, since the car arrives in California, Leon just might be able to get here before any other dealer would have anyway!

...now I'm just hoping to make it into the Duke Energy Pilot program for my free level 2 home charger....

--Sarah

rnkepler said:
NuclearLeaf said:
Anyone in NC have an estimated delivery date yet?

Just "month of November".

Here in IL it just changed to that as well for my order (note that it also says +/- 15 days) so would be interesting to see which area gets their cars first -- mine will be the first for my dealer (only allocated one LEAF per month as well)

sarahnc said:
.... I gave up on all NC dealers and went with Mossy instead (yes San Diego, California). For MSRP + destination charge they'll ship it to my door! (I do have to pay $77 for San Diego DMV charges/taxes, but that's better than a $600 "service fee".)
You can do that!?! Keep us posted on shipping cost/shipping problems, I may recommend same to a friend w-Leaf envy...

I'll miss getting the 2hr pick-up-your-new-car meeting
I'd pay money to avoid that :D

,,,now I'm just hoping to make it into the Duke Energy Pilot program for my free level 2 home charger....
The way I understand it, this is for Indiana addresses only.

UPDATE from Greensboro:
Modern Nissan Winston-Salem------ORDERED 8/10! MSRP + $495 +$850 del +3% tax +$ tag/file BBB: A+ Contact: Joe Joy Joe said I was the first to place an actual order thru them
Crown Nissan Greensboro-----------Not LEAF certified yet - charger installed early AUg, staff in training. Contact: Brad
Carolina Nissan Burlington----------MSRP + $599 + $850 deliv.+ 3%tax + $ tag/file BBB: A+ Contact: Ricky Duncan
Vann York High Point----------------MSRP + $390 + $850 deliv.+ 3%tax + $ tag/file BBB: A _________ Monthly allocation filled for 8/11 Ben Mynatt Salisbury--------------- (not called yet)
Southern States near Raleigh ----- MSRP + $____+ $850 deliv.+ 3%tax + $ tag/file__________________________Monthly allocation filled for 8/11
Crossroads near Raleigh -----------MSRP + $499 + $850 deliv.+ 3%tax + $ tag/file__________________________Monthly allocation filled for 8/11
Leith Nissan near Raleigh ----------MSRP + $399 + $850 deliv.+ 3%tax + $ tag/file __________________________Monthly allocation filled for 8/11
Mossy Creek San Diego (see above post) - sounds great!

Marty Hedgecock (electrician from Summerfield NC) installed new circuit for SPX powerXpress at $360 (note UNDER budget, original estimate ~$550. Excellent work overall!!

lspooz said:
sarahnc said:
.... I gave up on all NC dealers and went with Mossy instead (yes San Diego, California). For MSRP + destination charge they'll ship it to my door! (I do have to pay $77 for San Diego DMV charges/taxes, but that's better than a $600 "service fee".)
You can do that!?! Keep us posted on shipping cost/shipping problems, I may recommend same to a friend w-Leaf envy...

Yes you can! I got the idea from http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5083 posting. Leon included shipping, so no extra $ for that. Like I said the only downside I see is having to do the NC DMV registration myself...

now I'm just hoping to make it into the Duke Energy Pilot program for my free level 2 home charger....
The way I understand it, this is for Indiana addresses only.

Not true! Duke Energy has pilots going in NC, SC and IN. http://www.duke-energy.com/plugin/pilot-program-landing.asp
Sorry...none in Illinois...

--Sarah

New to this process so if anyone can enlighten me I would appreciate it. First off, I have held a reservation from the very beginning and have complete the home assessment. Submitted a quote request to Carolina Nissan and had multiple conversations with them regarding not paying a penny over (or under) MSRP+destination+tax/tag/title/reg because that is fair. Then they give me the quote....

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS $600 SERVICE FEE? To me it translates to a $600 markup above MSRP. All of the 'services' must be more than covered in the significant chunk of change they get from selling a car for MSRP leaving plenty of profit for them.

Now I see that it seems most, if not all, NC dealers are charging this 'fee', though none as high as Carolina Nissan. Has anyone been able to purchase this car in NC without paying this nonsense fee? Am I missing something?

zarwin said:
...WHAT THE HELL IS THIS $600 SERVICE FEE? To me it translates to a $600 markup above MSRP. All of the 'services' must be more than covered in the significant chunk of change they get from selling a car for MSRP leaving plenty of profit for them.

Now I see that it seems most, if not all, NC dealers are charging this 'fee', though none as high as Carolina Nissan. Has anyone been able to purchase this car in NC without paying this nonsense fee? Am I missing something?

Welcome to the NFL! Just about everyone here in Florida charges those junk fees. You're right it's all additional profit to the dealer. Seems dealers everywhere have caught on to this as an extra money maker. Your only option is to know that going in and negotiate the best bottom line price including the fees. Unfortunately Leaf buyers have zero leverage.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Welcome to the NFL! Just about everyone here in Florida charges those junk fees. You're right it's all additional profit to the dealer. Seems dealers everywhere have caught on to this as an extra money maker. Your only option is to know that going in and negotiate the best bottom line price including the fees. Unfortunately Leaf buyers have zero leverage.

Thanks. When you mention Leaf buyers have zero leverage, I'm guessing this is due to the fact that while you can change dealerships to get a better deal, it doesn't change allocation? I just learned that, having (incorrectly) assumed that by choosing a dealership, you were giving them allocation of 1 leaf. So I thought whoever gave the best deal, or in this case, simply didn't charge the make believe fee, would get lots of business and a bigger allocation. Would be nice if the process worked that way.

So if I changed dealerships at this point, is there anything that the new dealership would benefit or the old dealership would lose? If not, then there does not seem to be anything at all to negotiate and its a pure supply/demand model, regardless of reservation.

Back