Wholesale value of the 2011 Leaf @Auction March 2018

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, look at that difference in price based on mileage! 6 grand more for 7,000 vs 30,000 miles? You could literally buy the one with 30,000 miles and put a brand new battery in it. Wow. People have no idea how to value these things. When my 2013 Lease runs out, I'm buying a high-mileage 2013. Hopefully people won't have figured out by then that mileage matters almost not at all here.

OrientExpress, thanks for posting the results. Obviously there is much more action on the West coast! Tomorrow's action has only one Leaf listed, I won't even try. Maybe the next week will be better. I also still debating the practicality of an used EV. I want to buy it for my parents, their 2000 Camry still drives OK. Leaf of this age may not be able to move at all.

pkulak That expensive car was 2013.

I'm in nj and I'm going to ask a dealer friend to get me a 2011 sl or sv. Maybe even a 2012. Thanks for this info. I was going to buy a 2012 at a dealer for 14995.00 who said it came with a qc port. Traveled 2 hours and no qc port.
Anyway I think 12-13 would be about what I want to spend. Too bad the 2011 doesn't have heated seats or a battery warmer :(

sevenx7 said:
I'm in nj and I'm going to ask a dealer friend to get me a 2011 sl or sv. Maybe even a 2012. Thanks for this info. I was going to buy a 2012 at a dealer for 14995.00 who said it came with a qc port. Traveled 2 hours and no qc port.
Anyway I think 12-13 would be about what I want to spend. Too bad the 2011 doesn't have heated seats or a battery warmer :(
Do you think the battery warmer will actually help much?

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=261186#p261186" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2011/06/2012-nissan-leaf-battery-warmer-more-details.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The heated seats are helpful since it's more efficient to heat the seats than the cabin and it lets you reduce the power hungry heater use, somewhat.

Can you update your location info via User Control Panel (near top) > Profile (left side)? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

What are your daily driving needs in terms of miles? How much city vs. highway? Will you have the ability to charge at your work/destinations?

cwerdna said:
sevenx7 said:
Do you think the battery warmer will actually help much?

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=261186#p261186" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2011/06/2012-nissan-leaf-battery-warmer-more-details.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The heated seats are helpful since it's more efficient to heat the seats than the cabin and it lets you reduce the power hungry heater use, somewhat.

Can you update your location info via User Control Panel (near top) > Profile (left side)? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

What are your daily driving needs in terms of miles? How much city vs. highway? Will you have the ability to charge at your work/destinations?
That's why I opened with im in NJ :)
Anyway I've been researching about a year. I drive to the train station about 2-3 miles away and commute using public transportation. But the 3 cars I have are gas guzzlers so I'm reducing to 2 possibly. I love driving but really don't have to time to so the cars are not used much.
I'd say the major reason for getting one is my interest in the technology. it may not be perfect but 100% electric is finally real.
Sorry to go off course. I work 15 miles away from rutherford to brooklyn. So it's a 30 mile round trip. Our parking deck MAY have some 110 outlets. I'm scouting for them now.

sevenx7 said:
Anyway I've been researching about a year. I drive to the train station about 2-3 miles away and commute using public transportation. But the 3 cars I have are gas guzzlers so I'm reducing to 2 possibly. I love driving but really don't have to time to so the cars are not used much.
I'd say the major reason for getting one is my interest in the technology. it may not be perfect but 100% electric is finally real.
Sorry to go off course. I work 15 miles away from rutherford to brooklyn. So it's a 30 mile round trip. Our parking deck MAY have some 110 outlets. I'm scouting for them now.
A short commute like that ought to work fine even if you did use the cabin heater. The seat and steering wheel heaters sure are nice, however.

Be aware that a few of the later 2011s came with the "cold weather package" and do have the seat, steering wheel, and battery heaters that became standard on the 2012 and later models. But you could get by without it in NJ, I would guess.

sevenx7 said:

Sorry to go off course. I work 15 miles away from rutherford to brooklyn. So it's a 30 mile round trip. Our parking deck MAY have some 110 outlets. I'm scouting for them now.[/quote]
You seem to be a good candidate for a combined bike/transit commute, as you already take transit, and your commute to transit is quite short. The exercise you get while riding to and from transit will improve your health, and riding the bike will be far less expensive than any car. Depending on traffic and parking, often faster, too. If you just can't see pedaling yourself, you can get an e-bike. Even if you take your car on days with inclement weather, you'll still come out far ahead money wise with a bike.

I don't think its about saving money by getting a leaf for me at this point, Its committing to the all electric idea and getting behind it. In nice weather i've been riding my vespa to the station. But i need something with storage!

It's been a while since I last posted the current wholesale-actuals/retail-proojected pricing for a 2011 LEAF SL, so here is the Christmas Edition.

Since the last report, the large surge 2011 early-adopter cars have largely gone through the system, and have helped fill the used car pipeline to help set the current pricing for a 2011 SL car. As you can see from the report, the number of cars going through auction have dropped significantly, and the wholesale/retail pricing has taken a hit from the late summer flood of off-lease cars. In most cases, 2011 cars current retail pricing is underperforming the residual set for these cars by about $1K.

Many have asked when there might be sub-$10K retail cars available on the market, and from all indications that time is coming close if not here, especially for cars that have been sitting on a dealers lot for a while.

For the tinkerer, hobbyist, cheapskate, etc., this might be the time to start considering where to pick up a used 2011. Of course the golden ticket is to find a car with less than 60K miles on it that has 3 or less bars on the battery capacity with the Battery Capacity Warranty in force. A 2011 car is a good solid reliable one, and with a replacement battery, has many thousands of miles left in it. Having a car that would qualify for a battery replacement that can be purchased under $10K qould be quite a bargain IMO. The window will be narrow for this, probably from now to the late summer of 2015, but for those that can find a car that can qualify for this, it is quite a deal.

Leaf-wholesale-Manhiem-12-24-14.jpg

OrientExpress said:
This was also the month that my own 2011 LEAF was turned in, and on August 27th, it went on the block at the Sf Bay Area auction, and is now off to its next owner. I hope that it gives its new owner the same level of satisfaction and reliability that it gave our family.

The residual value for me to purchase that car was $15.2K. At auction it went for $10.9K, and will probably make it into the retail used market at about $12.5K, so for us, leasing has been the right decision.
OrientExpress said:
Many have asked when there might be sub-$10K retail cars available on the market, and from all indications that time is coming close if not here, especially for cars that have been sitting on a dealers lot for a while.

For the tinkerer, hobbyist, cheapskate, etc., this might be the time to start considering where to pick up a used 2011. Of course the golden ticket is to find a car with less than 60K miles on it that has 3 or less bars on the battery capacity with the Battery Capacity Warranty in force. A 2011 car is a good solid reliable one, and with a replacement battery, has many thousands of miles left in it. Having a car that would qualify for a battery replacement that can be purchased under $10K qould be quite a bargain IMO. The window will be narrow for this, probably from now to the late summer of 2015, but for those that can find a car that can qualify for this, it is quite a deal.
Thanks for the Christmas update :D

Really sad that NMAC did not offer the $5,000 residual reduction on 2011 lease returns that they are now offering on 2012 lease returns :cry:

Had they done that would you have bought it :?:
Were you on target for qualifying for capacity warranty battery replacement, or not :?:

I agree with you that less than $10K 2011 LEAF SL, especially the somewhat rare late in the model year ones with cold weather package, are a pretty good deal.
Just watch out for the ones branded with B0133 "no capacity warranty for you" if buying one hoping for free battery replacement :shock:

Had they done that would you have bought it :?:
Were you on target for qualifying for capacity warranty battery replacement, or not :?:

No, I always planned on turning in the 2011 car. I knew up-front that it was a version 1.0 car, which for any kind of technology is a compromise of product features vs. schedule, supplier capability, and cost.

The battery on the car had lost some capacity, but I'm not sure where it would have ended up in the warranty timeframe.

I leased 2014 SV which has essentially the same trim as the 2011 SL, and this car has all of the things that I felt were compromises on the original car fixed. This one will be returned in 2017, and I will evaluate the EV landscape then for the buy/lease for the buy/lease decision.

glad i bought my 2011. now with 43k miles and down one bar.

would not want to have been back in the market having finished the lease last may 2014. there are few things more time consuming,, involve serious work and less enjoyable than acquiring a car. i figure i saved about 7k in gasoline costs, very little of the electric cost not offset by solar.
the price with tax was about 23k. i gladly pay a couple of grand not to do the car-buy thing for this year, and next.

i do miss the range, but there are work-arounds that i will explore as commuting has ended.

TimLee said:
Really sad that NMAC did not offer the $5,000 residual reduction on 2011 lease returns that they are now offering on 2012 lease returns :cry:
2011 Leaf was much cheaper. In 2012 the price went up - and then dropped $5k in 2013. This made any lease in 2012 particularly bad, needing big residual reduction.

evnow said:
TimLee said:
2011 Leaf was much cheaper. In 2012 the price went up - and then dropped $5k in 2013. This made any lease in 2012 particularly bad, needing big residual reduction.

Include the early 2011 $5,000 Carb rebate, and many buyers in California got more than a $5k "reduction" when we bought, ~4 years ago.

="OrientExpress"
...Since the last report, the large surge 2011 early-adopter cars have largely gone through the system, and have helped fill the used car pipeline to help set the current pricing for a 2011 SL car. As you can see from the report, the number of cars going through auction have dropped significantly, and the wholesale/retail pricing has taken a hit from the late summer flood of off-lease cars...

That's a relatively small "flood" of BEVs.

IMO, the primary cause of the recent decline in used BEV prices is the same as it has been for PHEVs, hybrids, and fuel-efficient ICEVs.

The ~40% drop in (inflation adjusted) retail gas prices, since they peaked ~42 months ago.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_retail_price_chart.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi guys,

Just went to the Portland auto auction yesterday where NMAC sells a lot of their lease return vehicles. If anyone's interested, I can dig up some stats on what sold - NMAC has minimums for their vehicles, so while about (30) 2012 Leafs went through the line and were bid on; many did not hit the minimum required bid. I believe these go back in the pool till next NMAC auction next month. These are all Northwest (Oregon and Washington) cars, most with pretty low mileage.

The minimums they were accepting seemed to be around the $11k mark for 2012's (perhaps a bit optimistic!)

A few very nice low mileage 2013 SL's sold for around $13k. Remember, these are dealer prices, so you'd expect a mark up once you saw them on the lot.

Other low mileage ICE lease returns that went through from NMAC and Honda all sold - there were only one or two that did not hit minimum - these are tough sales days for used electric cars!

cheers,
Marty

martyv said:
...these are tough sales days for used electric cars!...

You can search completed sales reports on EBAY and see the same trend.

Rapid recent depreciation for LEAFs, and also for other BEVs and PHEVs.

Used car buyers are value conscious by definition-that's why they don't buy new.

The value proposition for BEVs is inversely related to gas prices, and with the recent ~50% reduction in gas prices, this should be no surprise.

Thanks for the info! Exactly what I wanted to know. Bad news for owners, but good news for me as a leasee looking to buy used shortly. Seems like 16 grand is where market is heading on a '13 SL. That's crazy!

pkulak said:
Thanks for the info! Exactly what I wanted to know. Bad news for owners, but good news for me as a leasee looking to buy used shortly. Seems like 16 grand is where market is heading on a '13 SL. That's crazy!
Not so crazy, actually.

The other factor depressing prices for used LEAFs, is the amazing deals some buyers can get on new LEAFs, and other BEVs.

IIRC, last month, with all the incentives factored in, I could have bought a new 2015 SL for ~$19k net in California.

I believe there are places with higher local incentives, bringing the cost of a new LEAF S, base Ford Focus E or Chevy spark to well under $15,000, for the lucky few.

Back