What's the fastest a leaf can charge level 3?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pkulak said:
dhanson865 said:
The thing to remember is that some of the Model S cars will have fans running extremely loudly during supercharging. Active cooling you could hear from across the parking lot. The Leaf has no such active cooling so fast charging needs to be limited more so than on a Tesla just to keep heat from building up.

Tesla batteries have much more internal resistance. That's why a Leaf will charge at 2C and the most you'll really ever see from a Tesla is 1.5C, and that's with the cooling system blazing.
Yeah... but Tesla is also charging at 125-135kw now and for Model S 60 owners with the B series packs... that 2C+

So they are pumping the current big time, that's the reason for all the fan noise during the charge.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/29009-1st-135kW-supercharger-FOUND-in-U-S-(NJ)

JasonA said:
Model S 60 owners with the B series packs
60 kWh Model S owners only charge at around 105 kW maximum, or 1.75C. One might extrapolate that Tesla might be able to get up to 150 kW for the 85 kWh cars at some point once the other weak links are addressed.

Still, the charge rate tapers so fast (like a LEAF does), that it doesn't hold that peak rate for all that long.

JasonA said:
pkulak said:
dhanson865 said:
The thing to remember is that some of the Model S cars will have fans running extremely loudly during supercharging. Active cooling you could hear from across the parking lot. The Leaf has no such active cooling so fast charging needs to be limited more so than on a Tesla just to keep heat from building up.

Tesla batteries have much more internal resistance. That's why a Leaf will charge at 2C and the most you'll really ever see from a Tesla is 1.5C, and that's with the cooling system blazing.
Yeah... but Tesla is also charging at 125-135kw now and for Model S 60 owners with the B series packs... that 2C+

So they are pumping the current big time, that's the reason for all the fan noise during the charge.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/29009-1st-135kW-supercharger-FOUND-in-U-S-(NJ)

If you think Tesla will pump 2C+ into a 60KW Model S I've got a bridge I'd like to sell to you.

I don't know what the limits will be on a 85KW Model S but I'll update the list to

90KW / 85 KW (90 KW supercharger on model S with 85 KW battery) is only 1.05C
120KW / 85 KW (120 KW supercharger on model S with 85 KW battery) is 1.41C
90KW / 60 KW (90 KW on model S with 60 KW battery) is 1.5C
135KW / 85 KW (135 KW supercharger on model S with 85 KW battery) is 1.59C
105KW / 60 KW (120 KW supercharger limited to 105KW on model S with 60 KW battery) is 1.75C
150KW / 85 KW (150 KW supercharger on model S with 85 KW battery) is 1.76C

Just so you can see that in C order from highest lowest

1.76C (150KW / 85 KW (150 KW supercharger on model S with 85 KW battery))
1.75C (105KW / 60 KW (120 KW supercharger limited to 105KW on model S with 60 KW battery))
1.59C (135KW / 85 KW (135 KW supercharger on model S with 85 KW battery))
1.41C (120KW / 85 KW (120 KW supercharger on model S with 85 KW battery))

They've already hit the limit on 60KW Model S with a 120KW charger, they might let the 85KW battery charge at full rate on the 150KW charger of the future but only if the temps are in a very narrow band. I don't think you'll see a Model S charging at 2C or higher any time in the next few years.

JasonA said:
Have you seen the latest FW (5.9 or 6?) updates and charging results?? :roll:
Have you?

The 135 kW SuperChargers are rated at 335A continuous.

The 60 kWh Model S pack is around 310-315V when around 25% full.

315V * 335A = 105 kW

To push 120 kW at 335A that takes 358V, which above the fully charged voltage of the 60 kWh pack from what I understand.

So no, I really highly doubt 120 kW is going to happen on the 60 kWh Model S unless Tesla is pushing more than 335A.

drees said:
Have you?

So no, I really highly doubt 120 kW is going to happen on the 60 kWh Model S unless Tesla is pushing more than 335A.
There are already test vehicles out there and people pushing some serious amps. People are reporting 128-130kw even on 60's in the COLD! :shock:

It doesn't matter, Tesla is going to push the very edge with B & C packs now and are closely monitoring the packs for metrics. True about the pack voltage but those stations go up to 410v. CV/CC ;)

At Somerset I saw figures around 128kW but I didn't get a shot of it.
attachment.php

And you can't argue about what Valery's doing with the Rav pack :lol:

We're almost there!

JasonA said:
There are already test vehicles out there and people pushing some serious amps. People are reporting 128-130kw even on 60's in the COLD! :shock:
Again, I have not see anything faster than 105 kW reported on a 60 kWh car. The image you link to is a 85 kWh car which Tesla has said will charge at up to 135 kW. To get a 60 kWh car to charge at 120 kW, you need to push close to 400A into it. That is simply not going to happen.

JasonA said:
True about the pack voltage but those stations go up to 410v. CV/CC ;)
Yeah, but even the 85 kWh pack tops out around 405V and you're not going to be pushing 150 kW (2C, 370A) into that pack when it's nearly full.

JasonA said:
And you can't argue about what Valery's doing with the Rav pack :lol:
In this thread? Multiple onboard chargers; up to 104 amps

Back