What do I need to properly log data (new 2015 Leaf)?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funeralsinger

I'm taking delivery of a 2015 Leaf SV next week...kind of excited!

My question is, what software/hardware would I need to log data like SOC, range, etc. (bear with me...I've never done this sort of thing before)? Many people seem to say the Carwings thing is lack-luster for this purpose, and I've read here about some other tools that might be better. Any thoughts or tips on this?

It seems to me that some data on a 2015 might be generally useful to the forum...

Thanks in advance,

John

Funeralsinger said:

My question is, what software/hardware would I need to log data like SOC, range, etc. (bear with me...I've never done this sort of thing before)? Many people seem to say the Carwings thing is lack-luster for this purpose, and I've read here about some other tools that might be better. Any thoughts or tips on this?

It seems to me that some data on a 2015 might be generally useful to the forum...

Thanks in advance,

John

Android phone or tablet w Bluetooth (Kyocera Event inactivated is least expensive $30 Walmart or Amazon). OBDII Bluetooth adapter ($10-20 Amazon). LeafSpy app ($0-10, I recommend the Pro version but all are good).
that's it!

Look in the Leaf CANbus subforum of the Accessories / Mods forum.

Android App LeafSpy Pro with a bluetooth ELM OBD dongle can log a lot of
interesting information, enough for most owners, and the least
expensive solution.

Logging "all" of the car's CAN activity can be done with
the Canary, or a GID-Meter with the logging option.

There are several other DIY options for the technically minded.

Examine some LEAF CAN logs at no cost, see my CAN-Do program
and the online logs at http://www.wwwsite.com/puzzles/cando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I just posted a new version yesterday, with some additions to
better examine Tesla S and Rav4EV logs.

Congratulations on getting the 2015. What model and features?
Cheers, Gary

Funeralsinger said:
John

Hi John, Congratulations !
I'm in Vancouver and take posession of a 2015 SL next week also. I have iPhone so got LeafStat and a Wifi dongle from Amazon:
Wireless Elm327 WIFI OBD 2 Car Diagnostic Reader Scanner for Iphone

I believe that if you have iPhone you need the Wifi version of the dongle, since the apps won't connect with bluetooth, so make sure to get the right dongle for the smartphone you are using.

Lots of good information on this forum. What color did you get?

Thanks for the responses...

I'll be getting a red one, an SV. The only option is a slight tint to the rear windows. I think the packages and options are much simpler in Canada, and the cars are certainly more expensive here. A 4-year lease is costing me around $430/month including taxes and rebates. That's around $385 USD. Our sales tax is 13%. Gas is more expensive here, but electricity seems to be a little cheaper, so the amount I'll save will be greater in absolute dollars. I'm in Waterloo Ontario, home of the Blackberry.

If I'm starting for scratch on this IT stuff, is it better to go with Leafspy/Android or Leafstat/Apple? I have no allegiance to either one (I have a blackberry).

John

Funeralsinger said:

I'll be getting a red one, an SV. The only option is a slight tint to the rear windows. I think the packages and options are much simpler in Canada, and the cars are certainly more expensive here. A 4-year lease is costing me around $430/month including taxes and rebates. That's around $385 USD. Our sales tax is 13%. Gas is more expensive here, but electricity seems to be a little cheaper, so the amount I'll save will be greater in absolute dollars. I'm in Waterloo Ontario, home of the Blackberry.

If I'm starting for scratch on this IT stuff, is it better to go with Leafspy/Android or Leafstat/Apple? I have no allegiance to either one (I have a blackberry).

John

I'd recommend Leafspy/Android.

There is also an Indiegogo project that looks very promising.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/myev-by-mycarma-electric-vehicle-logger-app

Funeralsinger said:

John

I'm in Ancaster and just ordered a white 2015 sv. my 4 year lease came in the same as yous, 0 down $437 a month.

Android is cheap enough that you can get a tablet or old phone to just use in the car, an old phone in the car is also nice since it can always dial 911 in an emergency even without a sim card.

I'll also be using the leaf spy, already ordered a dongle.

minispeed said:
Android is cheap enough that you can get a tablet or old phone to just use in the car, an old phone in the car is also nice since it can always dial 911 in an emergency even without a sim card.

I'll also be using the leaf spy, already ordered a dongle.

Agreed this is a good strategy. The advantage of an old phone for this purpose is that it is dedicated and does not interfere with phone calls or navigation or other smart phone functions. It becomes an extra piece of instrumentation that is always within view.

Seeing this and related posts makes us glad we bought a Leaf S instead of springing for the SL or SV. There is no capability, without significant mods and expense, to gather this so-called "data". The 2014 S has a SOC meter in addition to the GOM. The GOM is interesting, but the SOC is all I need to tell me how to plan for a trip or when to forgo an overnight charge. Any other "data" is superfluous.

I have yet to see a good case for all the effort expended in gathering data, other than to satisfy curiosity.

JohnBike said:
I have yet to see a good case for all the effort expended in gathering data, other than to satisfy curiosity.

Its a lot more than 'gathering data', though that is satisfying in itself. I can tell within a few hundred yards when the LBW will trigger, thanks to the instant feedback of LEAFSpy Pro. I can estimate within 1 mile my eventual range on a full charge and see constant feedback if I am am trending high or low as I drive. SOC% is an improvement over the GOM, but pales in comparison of the laser like accuracy of LEAFSpy Pro. No need to make mental calculations as you drive, ii does it all for you.

I notice I have a slow puncture because one tire is 4 LBS lower than yesterday, not enough to trigger the dash warning because I run the tires a little higher PSI anyway, but early warning enough to get a nail removed and repair prior to being stranded.

It is an instrumentation upgrade!! (And a data gathering tool).

Back