Western USA drought worst in modern era

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AndyH said:
WetEV said:
While Andy didn't give a source...

Actually, I did give a source on page 17:

Yes, you did. I didn't doubt that a real climate scientist had said just something just like that. There is no doubt that Dr. Kevin Trenberth knows lots about the climate system in general and El Niño specifically, he is a real climate scientist.

However, El Niño is not his whole job. That doesn't mean he is wrong. But rather, if a team or two of real climate scientists focused just on El Niño disagree, I'll be more likely to believe them than him. Especially when the difference is somewhat subtle. 80% sure and "I think it going to happen".

While people might prefer total certainty in our forecasts, we live and work in an uncertain world.

http://www.climate.gov/news-features/blogs/enso/may-8-enso-diagnostic-discussion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WetEV said:
Yes, you did. I didn't doubt that a real climate scientist had said just something just like that. There is no doubt that Dr. Kevin Trenberth knows lots about the climate system in general and El Niño specifically, he is a real climate scientist.

However, El Niño is not his whole job. That doesn't mean he is wrong. But rather, if a team or two of real climate scientists focused just on El Niño disagree, I'll be more likely to believe them than him. Especially when the difference is somewhat subtle. 80% sure and "I think it going to happen".
I don't know why you would suggest that this isn't "his whole job" - he's focused on ocean heat transfer and the effects on the climate system - that seems to be the textbook definition of someone that should be listened to. His top research focus is:
Interannual variability of climate and El Niño

The model predictions are important as well but they're not a 100% solution. They provide a few sets of datapoints that must be 'racked and stacked' with the other inputs to create a full picture.

The problems that start to come into reports as more authors are added is that consensus results in a weaker message. That's the point of Trenberth's suggestion that the commonly-communicated message is too conservative. I come from an analysis career in an 'indications and warning' and risk-management environment - I care more about what to expect 'on the ground' - that's why I feel strongly that Trenberth's comments are important.

Tropical Pacific Ocean edges further toward El Niño

Issued on Tuesday 20 May 2014 | Product Code IDCKGEWWOO

The tropical Pacific Ocean continues a general trend toward El Niño, with just over half of the climate models surveyed by the Bureau suggesting El Niño thresholds will be exceeded by August. An El Niño ALERT remains in place, indicating at least a 70% chance of an El Niño developing in 2014.

The tropical Pacific Ocean surface has warmed steadily since February, with sea surface temperature anomalies increasing by 0.5 to 1.0 °C. For El Niño to be established and maintained, the sea surface needs to warm further, and be accompanied by a persistent weakening of the trade winds and a consistent increase in cloudiness near the Date Line. In the past fortnight, trade winds have generally been near normal, though have weakened once again in recent days.

El Niño has impacts on many parts of the world, for example, below-average rainfall in the western Pacific and Indonesian regions and increased rainfall in the central and eastern Pacific. For Australia, El Niño is usually associated with below-average rainfall over southern and eastern inland Australia, with about two thirds of El Niño events since 1900 causing major drought over large parts of the continent.

The Indian Ocean Dipole (IOD) is currently neutral. Model outlooks suggest the IOD is most likely to remain neutral through winter, with two of the five models surveyed suggesting a positive IOD may develop during spring. Positive IOD events often coincide with El Niño and are typically associated with large parts of southern and central Australia experiencing lower rainfall than usual.

Next update expected on 3 June 2014

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/enso/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A NOAA weather briefing for California.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=U6VxGhm7bSY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Outlook is not wet.

Snowpack watch from Lassen Peak, all photos taken within ~2 weeks of highway 89 opening after snow clearance.

Still quite a lot of snow at ~8,500 ft, on 7/31/11.

P7310012.jpg

Back at the Peak trail lot, on 6-8-13, not much more snow even though ~7 weeks earlier.

And on 6/6/14, just pitiful.

7/21 edit: made another trip on 7/10, and the Peak was already virtually snow-free.
I descended on 89 south for the first time, allowing the second photo from Lake Helen below.

Will update the thread below with capacity/range results for both trips...eventually.

Lassen Peak trip

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5022" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edatoakrun said:
Snowpack watch from Lassen Peak, all photos taken within ~2 weeks of highway 89 opening after snow clearance.
Those photos have just made me realize it will be 39 years next month since I first hiked up that trail - what the hell happened to all those years? :shock: I remember that hike because on the way up we passed a woman carrying a purse, wearing a yellow polyester pantsuit and 2" heels who was apparently intending to go all the way! :eek: Got to the top to find it intermittently socked in by cloud, and found that while in the cloud it was possible to sit on opposite sides of the summit crater and carry on a whispered conversation as if the person was sitting right next to you. I don't recall for sure, but ISTR it's about 50 yards across.

El Nino update from CPC

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/ensodisc.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My summary is: Still no El Nino, and weak to moderate is now more likely. Still 70% to 80% odds of getting one.

It seems the City of Glendora doesn't understand the seriousness of this drought: California couple faces fine for brown lawn after complying with water-saving rules:
Brown is the new green.

The city of Glendora sees it differently.

"Despite the water conservation efforts, we wish to remind you that limited watering is still required to keep landscaping looking healthy and green," says the letter, which gives Korte and Whitney 60 days to restore their lawn.
Methinks this city has their priorities completely screwed up.

Anyone have experience with these?
http://www.watts.com/pages/whatsnew/IHWRS.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seems like they'd almost be required in CA.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Anyone have experience with these?
http://www.watts.com/pages/whatsnew/IHWRS.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seems like they'd almost be required in CA.
Recirc systems work very well. I think they're required by the current building code but don't expect they have to be retrofit.

Instead of running them 24/7, some passive house installations use bathroom and kitchen occupancy sensors and water temp sensors that only run the pumps when the hot water at the faucet isn't hot and someone's in the room. Those appear to be priming systems rather than 24/7 recirculation systems.

http://www.iccsafe.org/cs/codes/Documents/2009-10cycle/FAA/IRC-RP_RP1-RP12.pdf
http://www.enovativegroup.com/2012/...-in-ca-2013-building-energy-efficiency-codes/

edit - here's the Passive House video I remembered - the home was built in Oregon and the speaker is a contractor that specializes in building performance. He talks about recirculation systems in general, then highlights the way this house is controlled.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1ORJIaxXrI[/youtube]

Recent update on the drought makes the connection to California's increased temperatures.

And why we can't count on El Nino to bail us out.

Use the link to see the full report, including charts, graphs, and the very good comments.
http://www.weatherwest.com/archives/1658" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An overview of California’s ongoing and extraordinary drought: a tale of exceptional dryness and record warmth

...As California’s long-term precipitation deficits have skyrocketed over the past 18-24 months, another dramatic trend has become increasingly apparent: an extraordinary string of record-warm days, months, and multi-month periods. Most notably, California experienced its record warmest winter in 2013-2014, and (as of June 30th) is currently experiencing its warmest year on record to date. Even more remarkable is that these recent temperature record have been broken by a very wide margin–2014 so far has been more than 1 degree warmer than the previous record warmest year. This record-shattering warmth has serious implications for the ongoing extreme drought, since warmer temperatures result in greater evaporation (and evapotranspiration). This means that an even lesser fraction of the already record or near-record low precipitation was actually available to plants and ecosystems–or as rain/snowmelt runoff into California California’s rivers and streams.

...This combination of exceptional dryness and record warmth have acted in combination to produce the most severe drought conditions experienced in California in living memory (and very probably over a century)...

...One of the most striking features in California’s temperature record is the presence of a distinct long-term trend, on the order of +0.2 degrees per decade since the late 1800s. This trend is present in overall temperature, daily maximum temperature, and daily minimum temperature, but the increase has been largest in daily maximum temperatures, which have increased by over 1.4 degrees F since 1895. Interestingly, the temperature anomalies in 2014 have closely mirrored this overall trend, with all-time records set for both daily minimum and daily maximum values but much larger anomalies occurring with daytime maximum temperatures.

A long-term trend also exists in PDSI values for California, which has trended toward lower values over the past century or so. Interestingly, there have been no statistically significant trends in California mean precipitation over this same interval, which suggests that the strong warming experienced in California is likely responsible for the increasing drought severity.

...All 58 California counties have now been designated by the federal government as primary natural disaster areas due to the drought. A state-level Drought Emergency has been declared, and state authorities have recently taken unprecedented measures to cope with dwindling water supplies. National and international media attention has become increasingly focused on this ongoing extreme climate event in California as economic damages to date surpass $2 billion, and continues to rise rapidly. Increasingly broad swathes of farmland are being fallowed in the Central Valley (especially the San Joaquin Valley), and entities with access to remaining water are auctioning off their rights for over ten times the long-term average rate. Groundwater pumping has increased exponentially over the past 12 months, and there are growing concerns that this virtually unregulated draining of California’s underground aquifers could have major major consequences within the next couple of years.

...Just how low are California’s reservoirs right now? The figure at right shows that most of California’s major reservoirs are below 50% of capacity, and some are well below that meager level. More importantly, many of these reservoirs are near or below 50% of average capacity to date–which is especially remarkable since water levels are typically well below maximum capacity by this point in the summer. One big problem over the next few months is that the extreme long-term dryness–combined with enhanced human and “natural” demand due to record warmth–will allow reservoir levels to drop at rates greater than the long-term mean...

What does the (near) future hold?

The shortest (and, unfortunately, most accurate) answer to this question is: we simply don’t know. The rest of summer will probably continue to be warmer than average, and associated impacts (namely, extreme wildfire conditions and low limited water availability) will continue to grow more acute until that start of the next rainy season during winter 2014-2015. There has been much speculation regarding the likely El Niño event this year and its possible role in alleviating drought conditions in California. I’ve already written extensively on both the development of the present El Niño event specifically and the more general impacts of ENSO upon California precipitation. The quick summary version: connections between California precipitation and El Niño are rather tenuous, except for very strong El Nino events, which are associated with increased cool-season precipitation. This is especially true for inland regions of Northern California, where the majority of California’s reservoirs and “snowpack stored water” capacity resides. While there were some early indications during spring 2013 that the upcoming likely El Niño event could be a very strong event, a top-tier event now appears less likely.

Therefore, while there was never a high chance of El Niño breaking the current California drought, there is now an even smaller of a chance of that happening...

Stories in Southern and Central CA papers today about depletion of California's non-renewable deep aquifer water resources due to the present drought.

I guess if you dig yourself into a hole, one option is to dig deeper...

...California's three-year drought has sparked a surge in demand for wells in the state's agricultural heartland. With federal and state allocations of surface water reduced to a trickle, growers are searching deeper underground for sources of water to keep their farms from ruin.

The clamor has overwhelmed California drillers and pump installers, forcing some farms to hire contractors from neighboring states.

It's also setting the stage for more problems later as groundwater supplies are shrinking faster than they can be replenished. In parts of the Central Valley, the water table has plummeted, drying up old wells and sinking the land above, a phenomenon called subsidence.

That's resulted in even deeper wells that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to build and require more energy to pump water to the surface. As recently as two decades ago, a well several hundred feet would suffice. Today, large farms are drilling to depths of 2,000 feet in anticipation of falling water levels.

"We're going bigger horsepower every year," said Charles Barber, president of Caruthers Pump south of Fresno, who has customers on a three-month waiting list. "We've lost 30 feet of groundwater in a year in some places. We keep that up for 10 years and we won't be farming like this anymore."...

...there's little optimism the industry can weather another year relying on so much groundwater without significant consequences.

By the end of 2014 alone, groundwater is expected to replace three-quarters of the 6.6 million acre-feet of surface water lost to drought this year — raising groundwater's share of the state's agricultural water supply from 31% to 53%, the UC Davis report said...

"If there's no surface water available, farmers really have no choice but to use the groundwater and use it in a very big way," said Jay Famiglietti, a senior water scientist at the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory at Caltech and a professor of Earth system science at UC Irvine. "The question is how long can we keep doing this before we hit rock bottom? ... We are on a current path that is nearly the definition of unsustainable."
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-drought-drilling-20140726-story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Los Banos, Merced County --

...The ground is sinking because farmers and water agencies throughout the Central Valley are pumping groundwater heavily from far beneath the Earth's surface to make up for the lack of rain. The problems caused by this sinkage are many, with no easy fix in sight...

The deepwater aquifer being tapped by thousands of wells throughout the valley will take generations to restore, experts say. And if the sinking isn't stopped, everything from house foundations to railroad lines - such as the high-speed rail planned for the valley - could suffer...
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/California-drought-As-land-sinks-farmers-5649466.php#page-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In spite of the ongoing drought and likelihood of continuing and increasing problems with water in California, I have been unable to get any interest in our small condo building in conserving water:

Low flow shower heads - no interest
Drought tolerant native plants in place of small strips of lawn by the curb - one against, the rest no interest

What makes it worse is that all of our water is on one meter and paid for by the HOA, so if one person doesn't conserve the rest of us have to pay for it.

^ You see those little signs in hotels urging people to conserve, and I often think how pointless it must be. Everyone cranks the AC to 68 and lets the water run, not like each room is individually metered. I turn the AC to 74 and I come back to find housekeeping has turned it back to 68.
And what's with those stupid shower valves that every hotel uses with no control over the flow rate, only allows you to select the temperature at full blast.

Australian forecast for El Nino has eased from Warning to Watch.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/enso/index.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Issued on Tuesday 29 July 2014 | Product Code IDCKGEWW00

Despite the tropical Pacific Ocean being primed for an El Niño during much of the first half of 2014, the atmosphere above has largely failed to respond, and hence the ocean and atmosphere have not reinforced each other. As a result, some cooling has now taken place in the central and eastern tropical Pacific Ocean, with most of the key NINO regions returning to neutral values.

While the chance of an El Niño in 2014 has clearly eased, warmer-than-average waters persist in parts of the tropical Pacific, and the (slight) majority of climate models suggest El Niño remains likely for spring. Hence the establishment of El Niño before year's end cannot be ruled out. If an El Niño were to occur, it is increasingly unlikely to be a strong event.

Given the current observations and the climate model outlooks, the Bureau’s ENSO Tracker has shifted to El Niño WATCH status. This means the chance of El Niño developing in 2014 is approximately 50%, which remains significant at double the normal likelihood of an event.

LTLFTcomposite said:
I turn the AC to 74 and I come back to find housekeeping has turned it back to 68.
I have put signs on the thermostat for them NOT to change it. I like it warm, summer or winter. Coming back to a freezing room isn't pleasant.

"If" is becoming a bigger question.

http://www.climate.gov/news-features/blogs/enso/details-august-7th-enso-discussion-how-has-forecast-changed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NOAA's forecast is now 65% odds of an El Nino this fall/winter, and likely weak-to-moderate. Likely not relief for California.

LTLFTcomposite said:
So how is it determined who moves out?
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101884085" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The same way migration away from low lying coastal areas, in Florida for example, will be handled in the face of rising sea levels and storm surges?

dgpcolorado said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
So how is it determined who moves out?
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101884085" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The same way migration away from low lying coastal areas, in Florida for example, will be handled in the face of rising sea levels and storm surges?
Farmers without water rights will be unprofitable and move first.

Back