Wattage on the Cig Socket? 120w? 150w?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other vehicles have different wire gauges and fuses. It is safe to use devices
that draw more. Worst that can happen is blown fuse.
Usually devices have maximum rating on them. They do consume usually less.

NissanLeafCamper said:
Hi guys what is the wattage on the cig socket? Amps and Volts? Total being? I hear around 120 to 150 but does anyone know the exact number?
Per my manual, 10a or 120w :)

NissanLeafCamper said:
great thanks a lot 120 watts is not a lot but I guess the limit here is the fuse... but really that can be upgraded? I guess the real limit is the wiring inside?

If it were a Lexus with a 10 amp fuse, I might consider a 12 or even 15 amp fuse, but with Nissan wiring, I'd either stick to 10 amps or run a new cable to a marine grade socket, and fuse that at the cable's amp limit.

LeftieBiker said:
NissanLeafCamper said:
great thanks a lot 120 watts is not a lot but I guess the limit here is the fuse... but really that can be upgraded? I guess the real limit is the wiring inside?

If it were a Lexus with a 10 amp fuse, I might consider a 12 or even 15 amp fuse, but with Nissan wiring, I'd either stick to 10 amps or run a new cable to a marine grade socket, and fuse that at the cable's amp limit.
Agreed, they probably use something like 16 or even 18 gauge wire to the socked running through numerous plugs, I personally wouldn't want to go around upsizing fuses. If you need more personally I'd run a #12 or #14 wire directly to the battery(using a inline fuse near the battery) which should give you a good circuit capable of 20 or 15 amps and possibly use a beefier socket. Not sure what the one on your Leaf looks like but more than likely everything is pretty much sized to capacity to save weight and mostly cost, I probably wouldn't want to run 20a through it.

Me too. I wouldn't run more than fuse allows. Nissan is not like BMW :lol: Wiring feels really thin.
If you need more power I would also run dedicated wiring starting around the battery or DC-converter
(not battery terminal as Leaf has current meter that measures the current flowing in/out 12V battery).
You can go crazy and get 100A from DC-DC converter :lol:

Note for the 2012, the service manual shows the outside fuse feeding the
socket is 20amp, but the socket internal fuse is 10amp, so the wire may
handle more, but not the socket.

Back