Change Commando socket to EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mnievera

Hi guys hoping someone could answer this question for me!

I already have a 32amp commando socket on a dedicated consumer unit in my garage which I use to charge my Leaf, my question is how hard would it be to remove that socket and fit an ohme pro or something like that on the existing wiring? One that doesn't require an earth spike. I mention the ohme specifically because I'd like to take advantage of the octopus tariff when I eventually move over to them.

Anyone with any experience in doing this / knows if it is even possible to use that existing 32amp connection?? The actual cable going to the garage is less than a year old so there shouldn't be any issues with degradation etc.

Thanks

Mike

You might get a response or two if you could translate what you're saying a bit. I don't understand a lot of the things you're talking about. Commando socket? Ohme pro? Earth spike? Octopus?. Maybe all UK specific, but electrical concepts are pretty universal, so even non-subjects could offer help if we get more details.

Guessing, you have something (spec'ed at 32 amps) plugged in to something in your garage, and want to not just plug something else into the same plug, but hardwire something into the box where the plug is?

The first thing to figure out is what the rating of the circuit is. I assume that if the socket's rated at 32 amps, and the charger plugged into it is similar, it must be at least a 40 amp circuit (meaning 40 amp breaker installed in the box). If so, then whatever box the commando socket is in could be easily refitted with a cover, and flex conduit could be hooked right into the box, either from the side if the box is surface mounted or right through the cover if the box is in the wall.

What I don't get is the mention of earth spike. The box itself should already have ground wiring to it, as I can't imagine that commando sockets don't provide grounding. Unless electricity works somehow differently in the UK, you'd have a ground wire in that box to connect to.

Hey buddy, I was watching videos on using commando plugs to charge a future EV and by chance was online looking for connectors and randomly landed on this post right as this guys video was playing. Must have searched the same terms you typed. Anyway, this is exactly what you need.

https://youtu.be/fYvY7QRXrIo?si=SrV2vQJOpyUB1RLK

Literally signed up just to reply 😂 Good luck pal.

Back