Vanity License Plates ideas???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TRONZ said:
Yup! Elec-TRONZ. Pretty much what everything in the furure will be powered by, IMHO .
Hah!, Nope, the future is gravity waves!

Get in on the ground floor now - I'm selling options. :lol:

Dav said:
TRONZ said:
Yup! Elec-TRONZ. Pretty much what everything in the furure will be powered by, IMHO .
Hah!, Nope, the future is gravity waves!

Get in on the ground floor now - I'm selling options. :lol:

Good source of Generating clean Electronz (those ocean gravity waves). I just wanted the most timeless, fundamental particle I could think of; ELECTRONS.

ELCTRNS (is taken in CA but I thought it sorta looked like ELECTRICIANS anyways)
ELCTRNZ (is available in CA)

Dav, maybe you should do;

G Wave

Strange ... I posted this before yet it was pulled down. and it seems the positive comment was too. But my "thank you" post was left (maybe around page 3 or 4) behind ... which made it kind of meaningless and out of context. Or maybe I was halucinating? Anyway here's what I got, many many weeks ago now. And as I mentioned, now all I need is the ride. Here's to hoping it comes in December:

IBELEAF.bmp.jpg

Anyone remember me posting this already? Bah - never mind. On a side note, I noticed someone on the board (I think from washington) has the same I.D. as my new plates! strange on top of strange.

hill said:
Anyone remember me posting this already?
Yes.

Bah - never mind. On a side note, I noticed someone on the board (I think from washington) has the same I.D. as my new plates! strange on top of strange.
Or may be this is the one I remember ? I don't think anyone would have deleted your old post ...

hill said:
Strange ... I posted this before yet it was pulled down. and it seems the positive comment was too. But my "thank you" post was left (maybe around page 3 or 4) behind ... which made it kind of meaningless and out of context. Or maybe I was halucinating? Anyway here's what I got, many many weeks ago now. And as I mentioned, now all I need is the ride. Here's to hoping it comes in December:

IBELEAF.bmp.jpg

Anyone remember me posting this already? Bah - never mind. On a side note, I noticed someone on the board (I think from washington) has the same I.D. as my new plates! strange on top of strange.

Nice! Sort of Urban Dictionary meets X Files. :ugeek:

hill said:

IBELEAF.bmp.jpg

I just thought it was an awesome plate idea which btw is available in WA

hill said:
Anyway here's what I got, many many weeks ago now. And as I mentioned, now all I need is the ride. Here's to hoping it comes in December...
For people who are already snagging vanity plates (in California anyway) what is the process? Can you reserve a plate before you get the car? Or do you have to order the plates for your current car, and then plan to transfer them? I thought about doing that, but most of the EV themed ones don't make a lot of sense for a non-EV... I guess the point is to do it anyway just to be able to get the plate?

In California, you can order (and pay for) the vanity plates before you get the car. They will be manufactured and sent to the DMV that you request. If they arrive months before you get the car, your DMV will send you a postcard warning that if you don't pick up the plates they will destroy them. They give about three such warnings. You can go in and ask them to keep the plates for longer because you don't have the car yet. How they respond to that varies. Some say no-problem; at others, you may have to ask for a supervisor. This info comes from my personal experience with an Aptera vanity plate and those of other people on the Aptera forum.

thimel said:
In California, you can order (and pay for) the vanity plates before you get the car. They will be manufactured and sent to the DMV that you request. If they arrive months before you get the car, your DMV will send you a postcard warning that if you don't pick up the plates they will destroy them. They give about three such warnings. You can go in and ask them to keep the plates for longer because you don't have the car yet. How they respond to that varies. Some say no-problem; at others, you may have to ask for a supervisor. This info comes from my personal experience with an Aptera vanity plate and those of other people on the Aptera forum.

That won't work here in AZ because when the person registers their LEAF, they will receive a blue AFV plate that says, "Clean Air, Blue Skies" and you can't reserve one of these unless you already have a blue plate.

IBELEAF said:
I just thought it was an awesome plate idea which btw is available in WA

Well? Are you going to get it?
If not . . . there's always (my alternate choice) another plate I like: BLEAFIT

Anyway, contrary to opinion, the CA DMV DID require the plate to be assigned to a vehicle ... so I had to pull off my old (FCC amateur radio licence number) plate before they would release it to me.

garygid said:
CA requires the special plate to be assigned to a registered vehicle to TAKE POSSESSION of a plate, not to ORDER the plate.

I followed Gary's advice and I have my EV personalized plates (Yosemite ones!) in hand. Step one, order on line at DMV website. Step 2, when you get the postcard in the mail from the DMV saying your plates are ready (took 3 months for mine) go to the DMV office that you designated when you ordered (or AAA office), bring with you your old plates and hand them over. They will give you your new EV plates now assigned to your "old" car. You will get a new registration paper and new stickers for the new plates. Step 3, drive your old car around for a week or so with the EV plates on it, then go to AAA (I wised up and did not go back to the torture of the DMV) and tell them that you want to have new plates for your old car and you want to keep your personalized plates (AKA "retain for future use"). They will hand you new plates for your old car and you get to keep your personalized EV plates. You will get a new registration paper and new stickers. Step 4, take your personalized plates with you when you go to pick up your Leaf. Let your dealer know ahead of time that you already have your own plates. She/he will then have a heads up for the registration process.
This is for California.
Thanks, Gary...worked like a charm! :lol:

Kataphn said:
Step 3, drive your old car around for a week or so with the EV plates on it, then go to AAA ... and tell them that you want to have new plates for your old car and you want to keep your personalized plates (AKA "retain for future use"). They will hand you new plates for your old car ...
This is for California.
AAA has plates on hand they can give you "on the spot" ? (Neat.)

LEAFer said:
Kataphn said:
Step 3, drive your old car around for a week or so with the EV plates on it, then go to AAA ... and tell them that you want to have new plates for your old car and you want to keep your personalized plates (AKA "retain for future use"). They will hand you new plates for your old car ...
This is for California.
AAA has plates on hand they can give you "on the spot" ? (Neat.)

AAA can do a LOT of what the DMV can, but not everything. I'm unsure exactly what they cannot do, but the wait time and 'niceness' of the people helping you more than pay for it's annual membership!! :cool:

Yes, AAA can do that.

I finally got over to the DMV yesterday:

67349_452738949843_704969843_5223138_486009_n.jpg

Funny.....not 5 minutes out from putting the plates on my car, I look in the mirror and the dudes behind me are having a conversation about my plate. My guess:

Passenger: "Hey, dude, check out that guy's plates! Are they supposed to say Buy Oil?"

Driver: "No, dude. They say Bye Oil, like in Bye-Bye" (makes little "Bye-Bye" wave with his hand)

Back