Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turbo3 said:
Yes, "c" includes the Health number that was added in "b".

The key feature of "c" is that simulated gids ('Gids) have been replaced with real gids (Gids).

Sweeet! Thanks! Now, is it possible to have Gids and SoC switchable? I prefer Gids and (%) to be on top.

@Turbo3: The "cousin VINny" is great ... except some may have a "privacy issue" with it (maybe in "Settings" allow it to be on/off ?). What I would find more useful, though, is "aunt MIlly" ("Uncle ODOm", "Uncle MILES" ?), if it's available. Also, if the #of TBs displayed on the dash is available ....

Turbo3 said:
The key feature of "c" is that simulated gids ('Gids) have been replaced with real gids (Gids).
My Gid and kWh readings with "c" are way off from what they were with the previous version. Is this because I am using an ELM327 device modified to read from the EV bus? On version "b" I was getting ~230 'Gids on a 100% charge just the other day. On "c" I got 168 Gids on a 100% charge this morning. Screenshots from the two different days:

c88e4a97-e583-40db-b5e6-6e5da709f2bf_zps3121cfda.jpg

0046626b-6a18-4b6d-a9e9-8b822d9d36b0_zps2ecc6623.jpg

TT

ttweed said:
Turbo3 said:
My Gid and kWh readings with "c" are way off from what they were with the previous version. Is this because I am using an ELM327 device modified to read from the EV bus? On version "b" I was getting ~230 'Gids on a 100% charge just the other day. On "c" I got 168 Gids on a 100% charge this morning. Screenshots from the two different days:

TT
Tom,
I have one of the modified ELM327 and after testing I see a problem. The new commands I use are not working on the EV-CAN. So what you are seeing is actually history data from the last time you used the app prior to version c (or d).

So the highest level of the program you can use is going to be 0.25b with an ELM327 modified to monitor the EV-CAN.

So it seems I have orphaned all those who got the modified ELM327. :-(

I would need to take a trace of both CANs to see what is going on but I am really focusing on the CAR-CAN connection for now.

A quick fix would be to use the Settings value that indicates which CAN you are using and disable using the new commands but then what is the point? You would not be able to use any of the many new features I will be adding.

Jim

Turbo3 said:
Tom,
I have one of the modified ELM327 and after testing I see a problem. The new commands I use are not working on the EV-CAN. So what you are seeing is actually history data from the last time you used the app prior to version c (or d).

So the highest level of the program you can use is going to be 0.25b with an ELM327 modified to monitor the EV-CAN.

So it seems I have orphaned all those who got the modified ELM327. :-(

I would need to take a trace of both CANs to see what is going on but I am really focusing on the CAR-CAN connection for now.

A quick fix would be to use the Settings value that indicates which CAN you are using and disable using the new commands but then what is the point? You would not be able to use any of the many new features I will be adding.

Jim
Thanks for the explanation, Jim, it makes perfect sense--the Gid and kWh values looked just as if they hadn't updated in the new session. No big deal, I realize you have to go with your development of the app in the direction that will pay the biggest dividends the fastest. I just outsmarted myself by thinking I would be ahead of the game by getting an ELM device modified to read the EV bus, since it appeared that "real" Gids would be available there first. I'll just go back to the 'b' version for now and order another ELM327 to read the CAN bus--they're cheap. I don't want to miss your current and future feature development, so it's a small price to pay, and I can't thank you enough for your selfless efforts to provide this battery status information to the Leaf community in a relatively simple and economical manner.

TT

Jim, I'm using the regular dongle (non-modded) and the eVent, but the '25d' shows zeroes for GIDs, kW h, and DTE. IOW, no CAR CAN readings for those.

ttweed said:
Turbo3 said:
I'll just go back to the 'b' version for now and order another ELM327 to read the CAN bus--they're cheap. I don't want to miss your current and future feature development, so it's a small price to pay, and I can't thank you enough for your selfless efforts to provide this information to the Leaf community in a relatively simple and economical manner.

+1 (in fact I already had one). So we spent an extra $18...no biggie. Thanks should still go to FairwoodRed for modifying the ELMs for EV-CAN, even though it turned out to be a bit of a wild goose chase for him (and ultimately for us).

LEAFfan said:
Jim, I'm using the regular dongle (non-modded) and the eVent, but the '25d' shows zeroes for GIDs, kW h, and DTE. IOW, no CAR CAN readings for those.

Have you remembered to re-select OBDII from within the app? I would think that would be a place to start. I don't have my phone in front of me right now, and I can't help any further by memory.

Oh, wait though. You're seeing cell data OK? If you are, I'm probably on the wrong track.

mwalsh said:
ttweed said:
Turbo3 said:
I'll just go back to the 'b' version for now and order another ELM327 to read the CAN bus--they're cheap. I don't want to miss your current and future feature development, so it's a small price to pay, and I can't thank you enough for your selfless efforts to provide this information to the Leaf community in a relatively simple and economical manner.

+1 (in fact I already had one). So we spent an extra $18...no biggie. Thanks should still go to FairwoodRed for modifying the ELMs for EV-CAN, even though it turned out to be a bit of a wild goose chase for him (and ultimately for us).

You may be able to send those back and he can put them back the way they were AND when someone figures out how to have it off while plugged in, he could modify them for you.

LEAFer said:
@Turbo3: The "cousin VINny" is great ... except some may have a "privacy issue" with it (maybe in "Settings" allow it to be on/off ?). What I would find more useful, though, is "aunt MIlly" ("Uncle ODOm", "Uncle MILES" ?), if it's available. Also, if the #of TBs displayed on the dash is available ....
I will give the option to replace the last four digits of the VIN with the last four characters of the android device id you are running the app on. That will still give it a unique value but not one linked to a Leaf Nissan can track.

Well, that will teach me to be proactive and order the EV Buss modified ELM! :lol:

I'll just stay at b until I have a chance to order another unit... I need to get one with the AC12 switched power mod corrected anyway.

Turbo3 said:

mwalsh said:
LEAFfan said:

Have you remembered to re-select OBDII from within the app? I would think that would be a place to start. I don't have my phone in front of me right now, and I can't help any further by memory.

Oh, wait though. You're seeing cell data OK? If you are, I'm probably on the wrong track.

It connects fine. It may be a bug. I hope Jim can solve the problem.

Happily using the beta version 0.25d now ... http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=10653&start=37" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Version 0.25e(-FS) is up on dropbox for testing.

Features
- Quick Charge count
- J1772 Charge count
- Plug status (* after J1772 count means something is plugged into J1772 port)

Note that the plug status does not mean the J1772 is powered (i.e. has pilot signal). It just means the switch on the Leaf J1772 socket detects a plug. If you press the release latch on the J1772 the * will go away.

All this information is displayed to the right of the VIN on screen 1.

My hope was that we would be able to control several functions from the app such as start and stop charging, climate, timer functions, etc.

TomT said:
Well, that will teach me to be proactive and order the EV Buss modified ELM! :lol:

I'll just stay at b until I have a chance to order another unit... I need to get one with the AC12 switched power mod corrected anyway.

Turbo3 said:

Back