Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turbo3 said:
LEAFfan said:
Turbo3 said:
Does the VIN show up without parentheses?

A VIN with parentheses means it is displaying saved data not live data.

Yes, without parentheses. So it is live data. SoC % at the top is displayed. I had to go back to b.
You will probably need to wait until I put in some logging code that records the request/response strings so I can see what is going on. Anything special about the Leaf firmware? Does it have the latest?

Version 0.25h(-FS) is up on dropbox.

Feature - Displays charger input voltage.

The voltage will show up briefly when you first plug in and during a charge.

I would like to know what voltage, if any, shows up when you QC.

AFAIK, it has the latest sw/fw since it is a 2013.

Do we have any other people with 2013 Leafs where real GIDs is getting reported as zero?

Any 2013 owners see read GIDs?

There is another request that returns GIDS so if this is a 2013 issue I can try switching to the other one and see if that fixes the problem.

A couple of cosmetic change recommendations:

1) On the page with the battery graphic, the little red pointer below the DTE readout is offset from the battery, while the little red pointer above the SOC is flush with the battery. The one that is flush with the battery graphic looks better.

2) Perhaps the new information, like the number of times QC and L2, should be moved to a new page. I like the VIN up top the first page (like a nice title bar), but adding too much information to this page risks it getting too busy.

So, since I need to get a new ELM327 anyway since my old one is on the EV bus and has the SW12 power issue, I was considering this Vgate iCar iV350 version since it seems to offer a number of advantages (note the comparison chart on the last picture in Ebay) over the PIC version... It's also available on Amazon... Comments?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBDII-OBD2-diagnostic-Vgate-iCar-iV350-ELM327-compatible-Bluetooth-power-switch-/280932442965" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Weatherman said:
A couple of cosmetic change recommendations:

1) On the page with the battery graphic, the little red pointer below the DTE readout is offset from the battery, while the little red pointer above the SOC is flush with the battery. The one that is flush with the battery graphic looks better.

2) Perhaps the new information, like the number of times QC and L2, should be moved to a new page. I like the VIN up top the first page (like a nice title bar), but adding too much information to this page risks it getting too busy.
1) The graphic auto adjusts to different screen sizes which causes the pointers to be off a little but fine on others. It is a matter of positioning a variable font size picked by the Android system to a variable graphic size. Not easy to do. There are just too many screen sizes and then the system tries to auto adjust on top of that.

The problem is knowing where the top of the font is. Bottom is easy as that is the reference point no matter what size the font is. Right now I read the Font size the system has picked and use a formula to try and map that to pixels so I know where to place it.

2) I am really using this app to experiment with these new request/responses and this was the easiest place to display the information. But yes, it will have to move to another screen (#3) as I have way too much stuff to add for it ever to fit. From "1)" you can see screen layouts with different orientations/screen sizes take a lot of time to work out so until I know what works I wanted to put that off to a future version.

Did a little testing of the Normal Charge counter.

It increments by one each time you plug the charge cord in. Does not need to start charging for it to increment.

When it starts a charge it also increments by one. I assume but did not test that if you have the Leaf set for immediate charge you will only get an increment by one when you plug it in and it immediately starts charging.

So if you plug in every day you are going to get a count of 365 per year. If you have a delayed start to charge then you will get a count each time a charge starts.

I did not try plugging in the Leaf EVSE with in not plugged into the wall to see if that would increment the count. I am think it would not. Someone can test that and report back.

confirmed it increments by 1 when plugged in and waiting for a timer to start. Got:

564 30A 6V

However, when charging starts, it does not increment by an additional 1, and the 6V (whatever that is) doesn't change. Still shows as:

564 30A 6V

The hardware is still giving me fits. I get about one or two successful reads off the BAFX, then nothing but retries after that. Of course, the Vgate gave me no successful reads, at all. I hate to keep buying one OBDII after another just to find one that works, and works consistently.

I just got my Kyocera Event in the mail today. I have one of the larger ELM modules which I have tested manually using tty commands to the Leaf.
I am getting "Waiting 4 Leaf" message . Lights on the ELM are red power, green and yellow with slight blink which come on when app is active. I have tried every combination of power off, power on I can think of. Just downloaded v25 today.
Any ideas?

jrreno said:
I just got my Kyocera Event in the mail today. I have one of the larger ELM modules which I have tested manually using tty commands to the Leaf.
I am getting "Waiting 4 Leaf" message . Lights on the ELM are red power, green and yellow with slight blink which come on when app is active. I have tried every combination of power off, power on I can think of. Just downloaded v25 today.
Any ideas?

This DEFINITELY looks like you need to go into the app settings and select your OBDII.

I did select it. ( green circle in the selection box) I see the quick flash of status saying it is connecting with the ELM when I start the app and then
Same status " Waiting 4 Leaf data"

jrreno said:
I did select it. ( green circle in the selection box) I see the quick flash of status saying it is connecting with the ELM when I start the app and then

Getting a smartphone/OBDII combination that works seems to be hit or miss. With a Galaxy S4/Vgate combination, I got exactly what you see. "Waiting 4 Leaf data" forever. The Galaxy S4/BAFX combination works about one time out of one hundred, but at least I can get a quick snapshot if I try hard enough.

Weatherman said:
Getting a smartphone/OBDII combination that works seems to be hit or miss. With a Galaxy S4/Vgate combination, I got exactly what you see. "Waiting 4 Leaf data" forever. The Galaxy S4/BAFX combination works about one time out of one hundred, but at least I can get a quick snapshot if I try hard enough.

Event should be good...that's what I have. Using it with the generic ELM a lot of you have and the Simvalley ELM with Power Switch. Not at the same time, obviously.

jrreno said:

Since upgrading to 0.25h from 0.24 I've noticed the "Waiting 4 Leaf data" is displayed about half the time, and green connected about half the time. previosuly it would stay green about 90% of the time. Something has changed in the display and/or timing of data retrieval.

JPWhite said:
jrreno said:

Since upgrading to 0.25h from 0.24 I've noticed the "Waiting 4 Leaf data" is displayed about half the time, and green connected about half the time. previosuly it would stay green about 90% of the time. Something has changed in the display and/or timing of data retrieval.

I've started a new thread where I'd like for everyone to post what smartphone/OBDII combination works, works a little bit, or doesn't work at all. Maybe this will help those first starting out make the best choice.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=13619" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Weatherman said:
confirmed it increments by 1 when plugged in and waiting for a timer to start. Got:

564 30A 6V

However, when charging starts, it does not increment by an additional 1, and the 6V (whatever that is) doesn't change. Still shows as:

564 30A 6V

It does increment by 1 on a disconnect. Up to 565, now. So, it appears, for each charge cycle, there's at least two counts, one to connect the cable and one to disconnect.

I had to revert to 0.25g. 0.25h was giving me nothing but grief in capturing data. In fact, for the first scan after I completed the charge, this evening, the GID reading didn't update with 0.25h. Still showed the pre-charge low level. I removed 0.25h and reinstalled 0.25g and the connection was more stable and the data updated properly.

Weatherman said:
It does increment by 1 on a disconnect. Up to 565, now. So, it appears, for each charge cycle, there's at least two counts, one to connect the cable and one to disconnect.

Interestingly I'm at 65535 quick charges. And 1002 regular charges. Pretty sure I've never used the dcqc. I think I flipped the lid open once or twice.

In the 25f version I see two new fields at the end of the log lines. One seems like VIN with the last few digits being null, which is causing me issues. x's would be fine in the VIN but null is looking like a file corruption I think.

Can we do something else with the VIN?

kevinleaf said:
In the 25f version I see two new fields at the end of the log lines. One seems like VIN with the last few digits being null, which is causing me issues. x's would be fine in the VIN but null is looking like a file corruption I think.

Can we do something else with the VIN?
I will clean that up in the next version.

Weatherman said:
I had to revert to 0.25g. 0.25h was giving me nothing but grief in capturing data. In fact, for the first scan after I completed the charge, this evening, the GID reading didn't update with 0.25h. Still showed the pre-charge low level. I removed 0.25h and reinstalled 0.25g and the connection was more stable and the data updated properly.

GID reading was 'delayed' for me this morning. Took 2/3 cycles before it updated. It was weird seeing the DTE and SOC go up on the battery graphic while the GID stayed still.

I may drop down to g if I see any more issues with connectivity.

I tried the 024 version but had the same issue plus it was connecting and disconnecting periodically.
I have ordered an AGPtek mini and I'll see if that solves the problem.
Meantime the Kyocera Event I ordered is being returned due to power on issues. :cry:

Back