Update on Battery Warranty Enhancement for 2011 & 2012 LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BBrockman said:
Thank you for your time, and for your continued feedback. It's exciting to see so many enthusiastic and engaged LEAF owners. I look forward to more conversations with you in the future.
Brian
Yep a conversation would be good. Too bad we have not heard from you in a while.

Received mine yesterday.. Sure would like Nissan to come back and answer our questions.. I have scanned the thread many times but don't see answers..

Back from my dealership with the updated software. To my surprise, I did not see a single difference on the UI. Not a single default was reset.

The update was processed as recall P3227.

Called Nissan Canada Customer service to ask them : "How do I see that the software was updated?" and they told me to ask my dealership... (round and round we go).

gasmiser1 said:
Letter received 3 days ago. Standing by on this thread to see if anything positive results from the "Software Enhancement" update before plunging into the update on the car.

Sorry, but you don't have a choice: not only is it a "recall", but if you ever hope to have any warranty work done on your battery pack, you have to have had the update. That's why I went ahead and scheduled the update (next week) even though I haven't received my "official" notice.

Stanton said:
gasmiser1 said:
Letter received 3 days ago. Standing by on this thread to see if anything positive results from the "Software Enhancement" update before plunging into the update on the car.

Sorry, but you don't have a choice: not only is it a "recall", but if you ever hope to have any warranty work done on your battery pack, you have to have had the update. That's why I went ahead and scheduled the update (next week) even though I haven't received my "official" notice.
------------------------------------------------------
True, however I have leased the LEAF(with anticipation of a longer range or 2014 LEAF upgrade at the end of the lease).

Wondering--if it is necessary to upgrade the software if I am leasing and won't reach 60,000 miles before my lease ends?

I've driven over 35,000 miles in our EV without reaching turtle mode or using a QC L3.

My question for Mr Brockman.

Is this software update a stand alone update? There were some previous updates that I do not want on my 2012. But if this is just (only) for accuracy I may consider it.

69800 said:

Is this software update a stand alone update? There were some previous updates that I do not want on my 2012. But if this is just (only) for accuracy I may consider it.

stuff is nutty. we dont know what the update to the software actually does.
who wants to get used to a different set of vectors in calculating range, etc.

I wonder if there is something else thrown in that update that is not described in the letter.

thankyouOB said:
69800 said:
stuff is nutty. we dont know what the update to the software actually does.
who wants to get used to a different set of vectors in calculating range, etc.
I have not noticed any other changes in behavior. In reality, aside from the higher Ah reading after the update (which is trending back down like everyone else) I can't see any change in behavior of the car.

69800 said:

This update is simply to make the capacity readout more precise. It changes nothing with the range prediction ("GOM") or actual battery capacity. And it doesn't change the trigger point for each bar, nor should you expect to see any bars gained or lost with the update.

The other update is for the onboard charger. Basically, the programming is updated to eliminate some incompatibility issues that had come up with a few charging units.

I'm not sure which updates you don't want or what your concerns are. But, the update outlined in the letter is just for the items above.

I received this 'Capacity warranty' letter on the same day I lost my first bar. Only three more bars to go before I can make use of the warranty. Hey I can't wait.

The letter clearly states that once you reach 8 bars, rush to your nearest friendly dealer and they will restore it to 9 bars... which you will lose in a month or so and then you can rush back to your dealer to get it back to 9 again. That will be fun..

mkjayakumar said:
I received this 'Capacity warranty' letter on the same day I lost my first bar. Only three more bars to go before I can make use of the warranty. Hey I can't wait.

The letter clearly states that once you reach 8 bars, rush to your nearest friendly dealer and they will restore it to 9 bars... which you will lose in a month or so and then you can rush back to your dealer to get it back to 9 again. That will be fun..
I doubt it will play out that way. All battery work must be cleared by Nissan central who ultimately pays the dealership to perform the service. It is not in their best interest to keep bandaiding it and having to keep paying $$$. Now, as you approach the end of the warranty period the dynamics change a but and they may decide a partial fix is the most cost effective.

TickTock said:
mkjayakumar said:

I doubt it will play out that way. All battery work must be cleared by Nissan central who ultimately pays the dealership to perform the service. It is not in their best interest to keep bandaiding it and having to keep paying $$$. Now, as you approach the end of the warranty period the dynamics change a but and they may decide a partial fix is the most cost effective.

I had the short block on my Hyundai Sonata replaced with only a few thousand miles and months left in the original 10yr/100k warranty. (If only Nissan had that for the Leaf....). It took perseverance with the dealer, but eventually it was done, at no cost. No way should anyone allow Nissan to give them a partial fix on a battery issue. The warranty is the warranty, in black and white. It doesn't say you get better quality or longer lasting repairs depending on mileage or date. Even if you have a mile left on the warranty, if other folks are getting a new battery pack, you should demand no less.

hyperlexis said:
No way should anyone allow Nissan to give them a partial fix on a battery issue. The warranty is the warranty, in black and white....

And in black and white it states they will restore capacity to "at least" 9 bars.

I've wondered why did Nissan choose the lithium manganese chemistry over Lithium Iron Phosphate. I work for the IT dept at a hospital where we have a fleet of 94 lithium iron phosphate computers on wheels (cows) for the nurses to do rounds. We have not had one battery failure or noticeable degradation in over 2 years with plenty of abuse, they also charge 5 times as fast as our previous lithium ion or lead acid carts. I've also been reading that BYD choose this chemistry and have had very good success with it's reliability and thermal stability. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVXWGBgYj3M - Electric bus uses lithium iron phosphate without the need to have active thermal management.

elmobob said:
I've wondered why did Nissan choose the lithium manganese chemistry over Lithium Iron Phosphate.
Energy density/weight and cost. LiMn is notably better than LiFe in those two categories. In the long run, though...

Back