Update on Battery Warranty Enhancement for 2011 & 2012 LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mksE55 said:
I think even my 10yr would find this not appealing. hey Dad love my new bike for Christmas. 6 months later. Hey dad I have a flat tire, oh , well for 10 dollars a month i will keep air in your tires for as long as you want. Hey dad you sux.

:shock:

This is more like taking your chain away after it's all stretched out, and renting you a new chain.

What we really need is the equivalent of a link remover, which will make our own chains like new again. Or the ability to buy a new chain. ;)

mksE55 said:
I think even my 10yr would find this not appealing. hey Dad love my new bike for Christmas. 6 months later. Hey dad I have a flat tire, oh , well for 10 dollars a month i will keep air in your tires for as long as you want. Hey dad you sux.
:shock:
I was thinking more like I will keep 70% of the rated PSI in your tires on good days. Too bad if you have to pedal harder because the tires are low.

thankyouOB said:
in very neutral terms, i explained the $100 battery leasing program to the head of public relations at a major university in CA. i did not call it the SYB* program.

she described it as a pr swamp and disaster. Without any prompting she said, "they are abandoning the early adopters."
she was particularly concerned -- from a legal and marketing viewpoint -- that nissan waited more than 2.5 years before telling purchasers that they would not be able to buy a replacement battery.

*steal your battery

I'm guessing a genius at Nissan figured it more pallatable to offer $100/month battery rental than state the battery will be $8,000 (or whatever the cost actually is). It's a "free" loan. $100/month for 80 months (6.6 years). You'll likely want/need a new battery after that time.

This could be the hidden cost of EV. Add in cost of electricity and you'll probably surpass fuel efficient vehicles.

The Prius is our only barometer for battery life and they have been running strong for many years. Coupled with an an astoundingly fuel efficient ICE the battery loss isn't going to be as noticeable. It's a NiMH battery.

The good news is that by the time we'll likely want a battery swap the cost will have dropped. The $8,000 battery today might be $4,500 three or four years from now. Again, $8,000 is a wild guess.

dgpcolorado said:
TonyWilliams said:
They are NOT going to put new batteries in lease returns, unless it meets the warranty threshold.
I agree. They are going to sell them to unsuspecting used car buyers who will wonder why the fabled 100 mile range is only 50 miles and this will create a whole new population of people who are turned off by EVs and tell all their friends...

Or they could go the full-disclosure route and try to educate used LEAF buyers about reduced range. Yeah, right.
Its not just the vehicles coming off lease that are an issue.
Nissan bought some of the Phoenix vehicles with significant battery capacity loss, and shipped them east, and sold those with no disclosure.
See the postings on the voluminous 618 page battery degradation thread.
Have they lost their mind? :( :? :( :?

TULeaf said:
The $8,000 battery today might be $4,500 three or four years from now. Again, $8,000 is a wild guess.

What is the best guess? I've seen speculation about the batteries costing Nissan as high as $18,000 in 2011.

Edit: Correction to the author of the quoted passage.

Berlino said:
What is the best guess? I've seen speculation about the batteries costing Nissan as high as $18,000 in 2011.
batteryproblemmnl

My best guess is $10 to $12K. The $18K price was based on the retail cost of 48 individual modules.

As I said elsewhere, it is too bad that these were not lemon-lawed as it would then be illegal to do so. Chrysler got a big fine some years ago for reselling lemon law vehicles without disclosing them as such...

TimLee said:
Its not just the vehicles coming off lease that are an issue.
Nissan bought some of the Phoenix vehicles with significant battery capacity loss, and shipped them east, and sold those with no disclosure.
See the postings on the voluminous 618 page battery degradation thread.
Have they lost their mind? :( :? :( :?

Hello Nissan, Brockman and Chelsea,
I wanted to check in and tell you that I love my LEAF. I intend to keep it longtime and enjoy.

But, the calendar reminds me that it is Friday, August 16, two months since your last transmission.
Do you know where our long-promised Q&A for the Nissan $100-a-month, SYB* program is?

I will be reminding you about this again next month.
I am told that you are thinking on it but things are complicated at Nissan.
Also too, how about you give us that promised battery sale price?

*Steal Your Battery

an update on battery news:
i have been told on good authority that nissan will host late this month (August) a meeting in AZ to discuss two issues:
--battery degradation
and
--the SYB program.
folks will be flown in from outside Phoenix to add heft to the SYB discussion. I ask participants to push Nissan to offer a replacement price as promised, supply more answers about the SYB program, and let them know they need to do something to avoid anger turning to action by owners who bought the car but were not told they could not own a replacement battery.

I luv my LEAF and hope, with nissan's help, to keep it running for years with a battery that i own.

surfingslovak said:
Berlino said:
batteryproblemmnl

My best guess is $10 to $12K. The $18K price was based on the retail cost of 48 individual modules.

my estimate as well (Nissan has said nothing to us about battery pricing present or future)

I am guessing most here have seen the article on Tesla's battery prices and the precipitous drop in unit pricing. Wondering if the BMS option was really that expensive to implement for Nissan or if their path is simply where everyone will eventually land and they want to be first?

so we are a victim of pride?

DaveinOlyWA said:
I am guessing most here have seen the article on Tesla's battery prices and the precipitous drop in unit pricing.
Not everybody. Link?
Sorry about the loss of your father. He had an impressive life.

TimLee said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
I am guessing most here have seen the article on Tesla's battery prices and the precipitous drop in unit pricing.
Not everybody. Link?
Sorry about the loss of your father. He had an impressive life.
Thank you Tim, he did a lot. As far as link it was article on greencarreports.com a while back. I will look

TimLee said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Not everybody. Link?
http://insideevs.com/tesla-battery-in-the-model-s-costs-less-than-a-quarter-of-the-car-in-most-cases/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TimLee said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Not everybody. Link?

I think this is the article in question: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1084682_what-goes-into-a-tesla-model-s-battery--and-what-it-may-cost" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

is it too much to hope that nissan will give us a battery price at the next meet up of nissan bigwigs from America and Asia with select LEAF owners, which is taking place in Phoenix at the end of august?

let your voice be heard at the forum and support asking the nissan bosses for a battery replacement price.

thankyouOB said:
is it too much to hope that Nissan will give us a battery price at the next meet up of Nissan bigwigs from America and Asia with select LEAF owners, which is taking place in Phoenix at the end of august?

let your voice be heard at the forum and support asking the Nissan bosses for a battery replacement price.

End of august? Did they schedule the meeting to specifically respond to summer battery bar loss?

The last meeting was Phoenix, Jan 8, 2013 wasn't it? If so End of Aug isn't on a round interval like 6 months or 12 months.

interval shmintervil.
they are in the us from asia and all are going to phoenix to talk to owners after whatever in tn.

so the answer is: no and yes.
they are in phoenix to talk to locals there about battery experience.
but other leafers are being asked to come to talk about the SYB* program and other battery replacement options.

*steal your battery program

dhanson865 said:
End of august? Did they schedule the meeting to specifically respond to summer battery bar loss?

The last meeting was Phoenix, Jan 8, 2013 wasn't it? If so End of Aug isn't on a round interval like 6 months or 12 months.

That's when all the big wigs will be in Phoenix anyway.

Don't worry, there won't be a battery price announcement.

Back