Update on Battery Warranty Enhancement for 2011 & 2012 LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nubo said:
hyperlexis said:
No way should anyone allow Nissan to give them a partial fix on a battery issue. The warranty is the warranty, in black and white....

And in black and white it states they will restore capacity to "at least" 9 bars.
Yep. And, until the Phoenix capacity loss debacle (complaints, Tony's range test, etc.), there was NO capacity warranty.

http://www.law360.com/articles/455764/nissan-expands-leaf-warranty-in-10m-battery-defect-deal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, now we know why Nissan decided to create the "warranty..." To rescue their butts from the lawsuit! Certainly not because they thought it was the right thing to do!

atlleaf said:
http://www.law360.com/articles/455764/nissan-expands-leaf-warranty-in-10m-battery-defect-deal

I had a thought this morning, :idea:
When nissan gets their 2011 lease cars back next year thy will have a large supply
Of 10-11 bar batterie packs.
If they put new packs in the lease returns before selling them.
They would then use the used packs for battery warranty issues.

Mx5racer said:
I had a thought this morning, :idea:
When nissan gets their 2011 lease cars back next year thy will have a large supply
Of 10-11 bar batterie packs.
If they put new packs in the lease returns before selling them.
They would then use the used packs for battery warranty issues.
I was thinking the same thing. Those lease turnbacks will be a tough sell with degraded packs. They will want to call them "certified preowned" and have all 12 bars.

So, my 10 bar loser leaf's battery on a lease return will become a 10 bar winner leaf battery for someone who has only 8 bars. Now slap a new battery on the lease return and Nissan can sell it again for above the residual value.

Win-win-win situation for Nissan.

TonyWilliams said:
They are NOT going to put new batteries in lease returns, unless it meets the warranty threshold.
I agree. They are going to sell them to unsuspecting used car buyers who will wonder why the fabled 100 mile range is only 50 miles and this will create a whole new population of people who are turned off by EVs and tell all their friends...

Or they could go the full-disclosure route and try to educate used LEAF buyers about reduced range. Yeah, right.

I'm quite curious to see what actually does happen with the large number of lease returns over the next few years. For someone with a thirty mile daily commute a lease-return LEAF could be a good buy, assuming that they really know what they are getting and don't expect it to go 70 miles, much less 100 miles.

I have been much more curious as to how Nissan will deal with degraded floor material on the Certified Pre-owned. Are they going to yank that crap out & replace it or pay people to comb it up nice and straight again. :?

caffeinekid said:
I have been much more curious as to how Nissan will deal with degraded floor material on the Certified Pre-owned. Are they going to yank that crap out & replace it or pay people to comb it up nice and straight again. :?

This is getting off topic and apologies for adding to that, but I just got word from my dealer I'm getting the entire "carpet" (crap is more accurate) replaced under warranty. I have 27k miles and treat my LEAF well... I'm very surprised I haven't seen more outrage on MNL about this junk, although it does pale in comparison to the battery issues for sure. Not to add to the Nissan bashing though... kudos to them for offering the replacement on the first ask.. and I still love my LEAF, for all its shortcomings.

uspearls said:
This is getting off topic and apologies for adding to that, but I just got word from my dealer I'm getting the entire "carpet" (crap is more accurate) replaced under warranty. I have 27k miles and treat my LEAF well... I'm very surprised I haven't seen more outrage on MNL about this junk, although it does pale in comparison to the battery issues for sure. Not to add to the Nissan bashing though... kudos to them for offering the replacement on the first ask.. and I still love my LEAF, for all its shortcomings.
Some of us, who live in snow or mud country, use rubber floor mats. They work very well and the carpet underneath is pretty much irrelevant.

It appears that I will be one of the 1st to deal with the battery replacement issue - I estimate by this time next year.

I brought my leaf in for the software upgrade at 27,000 miles which had "issues" i.e estimated mileage jumping all over the place from 35 to 70 in a couple of miles driven at moderate speed. It turns out that the new software needs little "brake in" period - but there is a bigger issue. I requested a full battery status print out the 2nd time (not volunteered) which showed that two of the cells are at the verge of their recommended minimum voltage levels. I also noticed that I routinely now see only 10 bars when starting out that sometimes recovers to 11 or 12 bars while driving - but the max range shown is usually under 70 miles when fully charged. I will be bringing them a copy of the letter form Nissan and discussing how this will be resolved in the apparent foreseeable future.

In addition to the existing lithium-ion battery coverage provided under the Nissan Electric Vehicle Limited Warranty for defects in materials or workmanship, the lithium-ion battery for your 2011 or 2012 Nissan LEAF is now also warranted against capacity loss below nine (9) bars (or approximately below 70 percent) as shown on the vehicle’s battery capacity level gauge for a period of 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first.

I mentioned the warranty to the Service Manager and he completely misunderstood that the loss of 3 bars warrants a new battery. He told me that battery replacement would be when there are only 3 bars left!

electricfuture said:
I mentioned the warranty to the Service Manager and he completely misunderstood that the loss of 3 bars warrants a new battery. He told me that battery replacement would be when there are only 3 bars left!
Actually, the warranty kicks in at 4 bars lost, and you are not guaranteed a new battery, only that a replacement battery pack will bring you up to at least 9 capacity bars for the first 60 months/60,000 miles.

Yes I am good with that (4 missing bars) looks like I will be there within 12 months. I do expect them to only replace cells showing below minimum voltage levels so I'll have to stay on top of this for the remaining 3 years of the warranty to be sure I have 9 bars after 5 years. Hopefully battery issues will be resolved over the next 3 years!

Since mine is a lease and it is Nissan's problem when I return it, I don't much care... It is absolute crap however, yes!

uspearls said:
I'm very surprised I haven't seen more outrage on MNL about this junk, although it does pale in comparison to the battery issues for sure.

TomT said:
Since mine is a lease and it is Nissan's problem when I return it, I don't much care... It is absolute crap however, yes!

uspearls said:
I'm very surprised I haven't seen more outrage on MNL about this junk, although it does pale in comparison to the battery issues for sure.

i dont think the carpet merits outrage. the fix costs about $100, which is what i paid for four very nice mats with LEAF on them.
but the SYB program is a stick in the eye to buyers.

caffeinekid said:

A couple of cans of GLH should set things straight. :lol:

Great-Looking-Hair_l.jpg

in very neutral terms, i explained the $100 battery leasing program to the head of public relations at a major university in CA. i did not call it the SYB* program.

she described it as a pr swamp and disaster. Without any prompting she said, "they are abandoning the early adopters."
she was particularly concerned -- from a legal and marketing viewpoint -- that nissan waited more than 2.5 years before telling purchasers that they would not be able to buy a replacement battery.

*steal your battery

I think even my 10yr would find this not appealing. hey Dad love my new bike for Christmas. 6 months later. Hey dad I have a flat tire, oh , well for 10 dollars a month i will keep air in your tires for as long as you want. Hey dad you sux.

:shock:

Back