TSLA corporate outlook

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More articles on the inevitable need to pay to use the SC network on the mass market Model 3, which even Elon has finally admitted:
Tesla Model 3 owners will have to pay for Supercharger access
http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/06/no-free-superchargers-for-teslas-model-3-h2-stations-grow-in-ca/

Elon Musk On Why Supercharging Won’t Be Free For Model 3 (w/video)
http://insideevs.com/elon-musk-supercharging-wont-free-model-3/

Supercharging will not be free in Tesla Model 3
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/01/supercharging-not-free-tesla-model-3/

GRA said:
More articles on the inevitable need to pay to use the SC network on the mass market Model 3, which even Elon has finally admitted:
http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/06/no-free-superchargers-for-teslas-model-3-h2-stations-grow-in-ca/

Technically it was not free for Model S either. It was a $2000 option and then later a $2500 option for Model S. You were forced to purchase the option on the 85kWh pack. There was a $10k upgrade from 40 to 60 and then a $12k upgrade from 60 to 85 but it included the optional supercharging access. The 40 did not have the option available, but the 60 did as an option. They later raised all the prices $2500 and included it for "free", but its not really free when you are paying for the option. Same will be true for the Model 3. You pay for the option to supercharge.

palmermd said:
GRA said:

Technically it was not free for Model S either. It was a $2000 option and then later a $2500 option for Model S. You were forced to purchase the option on the 85kWh pack. There was a $10k upgrade from 40 to 60 and then a $12k upgrade from 60 to 85 but it included the optional supercharging access. The 40 did not have the option available, but the 60 did as an option. They later raised all the prices $2500 and included it for "free", but its not really free when you are paying for the option. Same will be true for the Model 3. You pay for the option to supercharge.
IIRR, it was only in March that we were last told that all Model 3s would include SC capability. So, instead of charging for the equipment, they're charging for the access. Not that I'm against the idea; you _should_ pay for power, whether in a lump some or as you go.

palmermd said:
Same will be true for the Model 3. You pay for the option to supercharge.
Note that one of Elon's statements made it sound like they were also considering a "pay-per-use" option for the Model 3:

"It will still be very cheap - and far cheaper than gasoline - to drive long distance with the Model 3. But it will not be free long distance for life unless you purchase that package."

So it will be possible to drive the 3 for long distances without purchasing the supercharging package. We'll have to wait to find out exactly what they have in mind, and what the cost will be.

IIRC they also said the autopilot "hardware" would be standard on the model 3. My guess is AP sw will be a service to get them recurring revenue, maybe different levels of service, bronze, silver, gold. Look for "in car purchase" in case you're worried you had one too many, or that road trip you can't keep your eyes open.

GRA said:
IIRR, it was only in March that we were last told that all Model 3s would include SC capability. So, instead of charging for the equipment, they're charging for the access. Not that I'm against the idea; you _should_ pay for power, whether in a lump some or as you go.
Agreed. However, unlimited SC access really is not worth anywhere near $2500 for most BEV owners. For that amount of money, I can drive my LEAF over 100,000 miles on electricity I make right on my roof. Sure, supercharger electricity should cost more. If it is 5X what I pay at home, then that would mean I would need to drive over 20,000 miles on SC electricity to make it pay. I don't see the typical user doing that much long-distance driving even if the capabilities existed both in the car and on the highways.

I wonder if unlimited SC access will transfer with the car if/when sold.
garsh said:
Note that one of Elon's statements made it sound like they were also considering a "pay-per-use" option for the Model 3:

"It will still be very cheap - and far cheaper than gasoline - to drive long distance with the Model 3. But it will not be free long distance for life unless you purchase that package."

So it will be possible to drive the 3 for long distances without purchasing the supercharging package. We'll have to wait to find out exactly what they have in mind, and what the cost will be.
A pay-per-use model likely makes the most sense for most Tesla Model 3 customers.
LTLFTcomposite said:
IIRC they also said the autopilot "hardware" would be standard on the model 3. My guess is AP sw will be a service to get them recurring revenue, maybe different levels of service, bronze, silver, gold. Look for "in car purchase" in case you're worried you had one too many, or that road trip you can't keep your eyes open.
I wonder if "bronze" level will be similar to Volvo's option in Brazil (which I suspect is no longer available): includes autopark but not pedestrian avoidance. :D

RegGuheert said:
GRA said:
Agreed. However, unlimited SC access really is not worth anywhere near $2500 for most BEV owners. For that amount of money, I can drive my LEAF over 100,000 miles on electricity I make right on my roof. Sure, supercharger electricity should cost more. If it is 5X what I pay at home, then that would mean I would need to drive over 20,000 miles on SC electricity to make it pay. I don't see the typical user doing that much long-distance driving even if the capabilities existed both in the car and on the highways...
It might be less than the $2000 option that was available for the S60. I wouldn't be surprised it if was $1500 or so, for full Supercharger access.

Regardless, trying to parse costs of electricity versus the Supercharger option cost completely misses the point: if you have a Tesla with Supercharger access it vastly opens up the utility of the car and you can drive it long distances whenever you wish instead of being limited to local or regional travel, as with other EVs. That increased utility has considerable value over and above the "free" electricity provided by the Superchargers. For some people who have no interest in long road trips this will be of little interest and they won't purchase any Supercharger options; others may go for a limited use package. But many Model S owners have found themselves driving the car a lot more than they originally expected to, in part just because they can and in part because it is a lot of fun. Knowing that one can take a road trip with no fuel cost can make such trips more appealing. Don't underestimate the value of just being able to get in and drive, as is the case with conventional ICE cars. It isn't all about dollars and cents.

dgpcolorado said:
RegGuheert said:
Agreed. However, unlimited SC access really is not worth anywhere near $2500 for most BEV owners. For that amount of money, I can drive my LEAF over 100,000 miles on electricity I make right on my roof. Sure, supercharger electricity should cost more. If it is 5X what I pay at home, then that would mean I would need to drive over 20,000 miles on SC electricity to make it pay. I don't see the typical user doing that much long-distance driving even if the capabilities existed both in the car and on the highways...
It might be less than the $2000 option that was available for the S60. I wouldn't be surprised it if was $1500 or so, for full Supercharger access.

Regardless, trying to parse costs of electricity versus the Supercharger option cost completely misses the point: if you have a Tesla with Supercharger access it vastly opens up the utility of the car and you can drive it long distances whenever you wish instead of being limited to local or regional travel, as with other EVs. That increased utility has considerable value over and above the "free" electricity provided by the Superchargers. For some people who have no interest in long road trips this will be of little interest and they won't purchase any Supercharger options; others may go for a limited use package. But many Model S owners have found themselves driving the car a lot more than they originally expected to, in part just because they can and in part because it is a lot of fun. Knowing that one can take a road trip with no fuel cost can make such trips more appealing. Don't underestimate the value of just being able to get in and drive, as is the case with conventional ICE cars. It isn't all about dollars and cents.
That's one reason why I'm in favor of pay-as-you-go (or at least some limited amount of usage per period) instead of all-you-can-eat, as it should cut down on purely frivolous driving. ICE owners have adequate freedom to drive wherever they want, but they're aware of the energy cost of doing so, and assuming we agree that incentivizing reduced energy/resource use by making people directly aware of its costs is a good thing, we should encourage any pricing method that does so, and discourage any that doesn't. I've always been against free-for-life SC pricing for that reason, even ignoring the economic rationale against it for most people (not that the typical Model S/X owner would be unduly burdened by that, but many Model 3 users would be).

GRA said:
That's one reason why I'm in favor of pay-as-you-go (or at least some limited amount of usage per period) instead of all-you-can-eat, as it should cut down on purely frivolous driving. ICE owners have adequate freedom to drive wherever they want, but they're aware of the energy cost of doing so, and assuming we agree that incentivizing reduced energy/resource use by making people directly aware of its costs is a good thing, we should encourage any pricing method that does so, and discourage any that doesn't. I've always been against free-for-life SC pricing for that reason, even ignoring the economic rationale against it for most people (not that the typical Model S/X owner would be unduly burdened by that, but many Model 3 users would be).

I agree. I think this is a bigger concern than congestion. The "all-you-can-eat" payment plan encourages waste. Think about it - how many people have eaten at a buffet restaurant, yet never come away feeling like they ate too much? I mean, after all, you have to get your money's worth.

Another thing that I haven't seen come up yet is that a pay-as-you-go encourages competition with other QC networks. I'm thinking about the trip I normally take to visit family. There are 3 different supercharging stations along the route, but every one of the requires that you exit the thruway (a toll road) to get to them. On the other hand, Greenlots has started to install QCs at the full-service rest stops. Many people will go out of their way to save some money, but if it costs nearly the same, they will stick to the more convenient option. And if Greenlots suddenly gets thousands of Tesla drivers as customers, that helps their long-term viability. And having multiple charging networks helps all EVs, which in turn helps Tesla. Because let's be honest, the Supercharging network is great but Tesla just cannot go it alone forever.

GetOffYourGas said:
I agree. I think this is a bigger concern than congestion. The "all-you-can-eat" payment plan encourages waste. Think about it - how many people have eaten at a buffet restaurant, yet never come away feeling like they ate too much? I mean, after all, you have to get your money's worth...
Well, I did at a buffet-type restaurant two weeks ago; a little self-control isn't all that difficult.

So far as "waste" is concerned, I am not persuaded. I put in solar panels that weren't remotely cost-effective just because I wanted to and could. Is that a "waste" of resources? It certainly is from an economics point of view. My view is that people buy less useful toys than my solar panels, so I'm not going to wring my hands about it. Nor was my LEAF remotely cost-effective; it was a "waste" by any reasonable measure. I bought it because I had been wanting to drive on "sunpower" for many years and I could afford it.

If you really want to talk about "waste" we shouldn't drive cars at all and should rely on GRA's bicycles and public transportation. That would mean that people couldn't live in my county, for the most part. Again, I'm not persuaded: I worked hard to be able to afford to retire young and live here. And I bicycle commuted for the previous 20+ years — more than 43,000 miles — so I figured I had paid my dues. And I still try to bicycle commute 800-900 miles per year here, despite a route that is very steep and challenging and weather that makes it unsafe or impractical much of the time.

So, if you drive a car you are part of the waste-of-resources problem; depends on where you draw the line. I paid rather dearly for my Supercharger access and I really enjoy using it. I'm also rather glad that we don't all have to become subsistence farmers to survive, as some — not necessarily anyone here — would prefer.

GetOffYourGas said:
GRA said:

I agree. I think this is a bigger concern than congestion. The "all-you-can-eat" payment plan encourages waste. Think about it - how many people have eaten at a buffet restaurant, yet never come away feeling like they ate too much? I mean, after all, you have to get your money's worth.
That's always been my approach at one of them - which is why I routinely weight 3-5 lb. more upon leaving than entering :lol:

GetOffYourGas said:
Another thing that I haven't seen come up yet is that a pay-as-you-go encourages competition with other QC networks. I'm thinking about the trip I normally take to visit family. There are 3 different supercharging stations along the route, but every one of the requires that you exit the thruway (a toll road) to get to them. On the other hand, Greenlots has started to install QCs at the full-service rest stops. Many people will go out of their way to save some money, but if it costs nearly the same, they will stick to the more convenient option. And if Greenlots suddenly gets thousands of Tesla drivers as customers, that helps their long-term viability. And having multiple charging networks helps all EVs, which in turn helps Tesla. Because let's be honest, the Supercharging network is great but Tesla just cannot go it alone forever.
I fully expect that at some time in the future, between 10-20 years out, Tesla will convert some and eventually all of their SC stanchions to whatever the dominant standard is by then, and they'll drop the proprietary standard on their cars. Even if the car manufacturing company goes under before then, the SC network by itself is worth a whole hell of a lot as a going concern, provided it can be converted at reasonable cost to CCS, CHAdeMO or whatever follows.

dgpcolorado said:
GetOffYourGas said:
I agree. I think this is a bigger concern than congestion. The "all-you-can-eat" payment plan encourages waste. Think about it - how many people have eaten at a buffet restaurant, yet never come away feeling like they ate too much? I mean, after all, you have to get your money's worth...
Well, I did at a buffet-type restaurant two weeks ago; a little self-control isn't all that difficult.

So far as "waste" is concerned, I am not persuaded. I put in solar panels that weren't remotely cost-effective just because I wanted to and could. Is that a "waste" of resources? It certainly is from an economics point of view. My view is that people buy less useful toys than my solar panels, so I'm not going to wring my hands about it. Nor was my LEAF remotely cost-effective; it was a "waste" by any reasonable measure. I bought it because I had been wanting to drive on "sunpower" for many years and I could afford it.
Sure, you made choices that didn't make any economic sense, but you knew they didn't make any economic sense, and that you were doing them because you wanted to. If there's one thing that's been established by centuries of social experiments from the individual scale up through utopian communes to entire countries, it's that if using more of something doesn't cost you anything, people will waste it.

To take one example, in the 1800s, there were a lot of experimental social communes in this country, generally falling into religious sects (cults, if you will), free-thinking/free-love or some hybrid of the two varieties (not much has changed in the interim). One of the latter was the Oneida Community (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oneida_Community), which I had to do a report on long ago for some class, and which lead me to reading a book describing the rise and fall of it. It was fairly typical of the breed in that residents weren't charged for basic necessities, most of which were made on site, were bartered for commune-made products, or else bought for money from sale of commune products.

Anyway, after the commune had been in existence for some time, they found that they were losing money at a rapid rate, and that they needed to find ways to cut down on costs. One of the basic commodities that was provided for free was soap, and they were using inordinate quantities of same. You might say that this was due to some 'cleanliness is next to godliness' thing, but it had a much simpler explanation. The stuff was free, so they simply wasted it. Soap would be left in wet soap dishes where it liquified and would be thrown out. It was wasted in numerous other ways. After all, if they needed more, they just went to the storehouse and took as much as they wanted. Similar issues arose with other free commodities.

I forget the details, so don't remember whether they changed to a base allotment per family member per month and charged for any extra, or whether everyone had to pay for all the soap they now had to buy, but the results were instantaneous; even though the price of the soap was very low, it now had _value_, and soap use dropped by some ridiculous % (I don't recall the number, but think it was at least 50% and might have been something like 80%).

While individual human beings may be capable of self-limiting their waste even when there's no economic benefit to them, as a group, anything that's free is considered of no value, and will be wasted.

dgpcolorado said:
If you really want to talk about "waste" we shouldn't drive cars at all and should rely on GRA's bicycles and public transportation. That would mean that people couldn't live in my county, for the most part. Again, I'm not persuaded: I worked hard to be able to afford to retire young and live here. And I bicycle commuted for the previous 20+ years — more than 43,000 miles — so I figured I had paid my dues. And I still try to bicycle commute 800-900 miles per year here, despite a route that is very steep and challenging and weather that makes it unsafe or impractical much of the time.

So, if you drive a car you are part of the waste-of-resources problem; depends on where you draw the line. I paid rather dearly for my Supercharger access and I really enjoy using it. I'm also rather glad that we don't all have to become subsistence farmers to survive, as some — not necessarily anyone here — would prefer.
Agreed, you paid your dues, and you are also aware that there are costs to any lifestyle you choose. The average person isn't aware of that, and needs some external method of quantifying that. To date, no one has come up with one that has a wider influence than putting an economic value on something. I'm curious, if the price of your S60, which included either $2k or $2.5k for the SC fittings and access, had been less, say $100 and then pay as you go, would you still choose free for life? Even if it meant you couldn't afford the car as soon? What if free for life was raised to $10 or $20k, assuming that most people didn't opt for it? All I'm saying is that most people need a goad to think about what the true cost of using/doing more of something is.

One of the reasons (by no means the primary one; I'm saving over 50%/year now) I changed from conventional car insurance to Pay As You Drive is that it helped make clear to me just how much extra each mile I drive costs me. Before, I had a large yearly mileage allowance, and as long as I was under that there was no cost for driving more than I needed to. Now, I know what that per-mile cost is, and factor that in to my decision as to whether or not to drive, wait until I can combine trips, use some other method or decide that the trip isn't worth it.

I think it's fair to say that I'm more aware of external costs (environmental and other) than the average person, but even so I find my monthly car insurance bill (and daily on-line log that shows the distance of each trip) a very useful reminder of externalities. It's certainly stopped me on a few occasions from just hopping in the car and going, and caused me to bike/use transit instead. At other times I decide that the car's speed, convenience, weather protection etc. vs. other methods is worth the extra cost. I'm a big fan of car-sharing for the same reason: the explicit cost per mile or time is quantified.

Summing up, whether Tesla offers several annual kWh plans + overage charges, or straight per kWh charging, IMO is less important than making sure people pay at least something for each extra kWh they use, just to provide that mental reminder that there is a cost. And free-for-life doesn't do that.

GRA said:
I fully expect that at some time in the future, between 10-20 years out, Tesla will convert some and eventually all of their SC stanchions to whatever the dominant standard is by then, and they'll drop the proprietary standard on their cars. Even if the car manufacturing company goes under before then, the SC network by itself is worth a whole hell of a lot as a going concern, provided it can be converted at reasonable cost to CCS, CHAdeMO or whatever follows.

You're assuming that the Tesla protocol does not become the standard. I agree that if some other standard begins to dominate it would make sense for them to convert all of these to that new standard and it'll be like owing an entire chain of fueling stations. As it stands right now none of the other options have enough power to become the standard and the more of the Tesla units there are the more likely that their protocol/form factor will become the standard. I'm not 100% confident, but I understand that the protocol Tesla uses is very similar to CCS method, and Tesla opted to build their own only because the power levels were not enough for Tesla and they thought the form factor was ugly (not sure you'll find many who disagree). Tesla has stated that they are not keeping this system proprietary as you stated, but that it is an open standard for any manufacturer to use as long as they share the cost of the system. My guess is that if nothing better comes out before Model 3 is out in large numbers (2018/19) then the Tesla inlet and protocol will become the standard.

In any of these scenarios the Supercharger network is a valuable asset for Tesla.

palmermd said:
GRA said:

You're assuming that the Tesla protocol does not become the standard. I agree that if some other standard begins to dominate it would make sense for them to convert all of these to that new standard and it'll be like owing an entire chain of fueling stations. As it stands right now none of the other options have enough power to become the standard and the more of the Tesla units there are the more likely that their protocol/form factor will become the standard. I'm not 100% confident, but I understand that the protocol Tesla uses is very similar to CCS method, and Tesla opted to build their own only because the power levels were not enough for Tesla and they thought the form factor was ugly (not sure you'll find many who disagree). Tesla has stated that they are not keeping this system proprietary as you stated, but that it is an open standard for any manufacturer to use as long as they share the cost of the system. My guess is that if nothing better comes out before Model 3 is out in large numbers (2018/19) then the Tesla inlet and protocol will become the standard.

In any of these scenarios the Supercharger network is a valuable asset for Tesla.
You are correct that I assume that none of the other manufacturers will be any more willing in the future to pay Tesla money or encourage their standard by fitting it to their own cars than they have been to date. Audi, at least, has said repeatedly that they're going to go with 150kW-capable CCS in the near future, and planning to go up to 350kW the following generation. I've said that personally I think Tesla's got the best standard/connector going, but my personal opinion doesn't hold any weight with the auto companies. They've got CCS and have plans to improve it. Whether we ultimately wind up with CCS-3/4 or something else (and don't forget, China's GB/T will be the standard in the world's single largest auto market) I have no idea, but I see no sign that any non-Tesla manufacturer wants to adopt Tesla's standard.

GRA said:
You are correct that I assume that the none of the other manufacturers will be any more willing in the future to pay Tesla money or encourage their standard by fitting it to their own cars than they have been to date. Audi, at least, has said repeatedly that they're going to go with 150kW-capable CCS in the near future, and planning to go up to 350kW the following generation. I've said that personally I think Tesla's got the best standard/connector going, but my personal opinion doesn't hold any weight with the auto companies. They've got CCS and have plans to improve it. whether we ultimately wind up with CCS-3/4 or something else (and don't forget, China's GB/T will be the standard in the world's single largest auto market) I have no idea, but I see no sign that any non-Tesla manufacturer wants to adopt Tesla's standard.

Yes, if they had 150-350kW power and a large base of users the world will have to move toward Audi. The problem is that the large user base at that power level is more likely to be Tesla at this point. That is why I think that after Model 3 is on the market and the consumer can see what can be done with an already existing infrastructure, they will demand the cars have it and Audi will not have any choice. They need to start installing them now if they want to avoid getting pushed by the consumer to Tesla's standard.

Just like you, my opinion means very little to the auto companies, but when all of us (consumer market in its entirety) see the same thing (Tesla's is better) then they will have to listen. Standards wars are great for innovation in the early stages, but once you get some momentum behind one of them, even if its not superior, it will take over the entire market. Just talk to the folks who worked on Betamax and HDDVD.

I believe that Tesla is leaning toward CCS support in Europe, in part due to government mandates and support for that system. But my understanding is that European CCS is different from North American CCS, so a change there won't likely have much near-term effect here.

As long as adapters are readily available, it may be some time before a single fast charging standard takes over here. Being on the Tesla side of that fence, at present, with an increasingly useful Supercharger network, I really don't care what happens. In another year or two I will be able to get almost anywhere I would want to go via Tesla charge stations or L2 J1772 stations, which pretty much any EV can use. From my point of view, the presence of kludgy Chademo or CCS stations in a few places is completely irrelevant.

However, if Tesla folds as a going concern, that would present problems, although car service would be a lot more important to me than charge stations (as with most other EV drivers, my primary charge station is in my garage). My guess is that eventually Tesla Motors will be absorbed by another, bigger, entity. Perhaps the Supercharger network will be spun off into a separate company someday, especially if other companies do design their cars to use it.

palmermd said:
<snip>
Yes, if they had 150-350kW power and a large base of users the world will have to move toward Audi. The problem is that the large user base at that power level is more likely to be Tesla at this point. That is why I think that after Model 3 is on the market and the consumer can see what can be done with an already existing infrastructure, they will demand the cars have it and Audi will not have any choice. They need to start installing them now if they want to avoid getting pushed by the consumer to Tesla's standard.

Just like you, my opinion means very little to the auto companies, but when all of us (consumer market in its entirety) see the same thing (Tesla's is better) then they will have to listen. Standards wars are great for innovation in the early stages, but once you get some momentum behind one of them, even if its not superior, it will take over the entire market. Just talk to the folks who worked on Betamax and HDDVD.
Don't forget that Audi is part of VW group, so it won't be just them, it will be VW, Porsche, Audi, Skoda, SEAT, Lamborghini, and Bentley among their car companies. And then there's BMW and Daimler who will also need high-power QCs, and they are supporting CCS now and will certainly do so for the foreseeable future - Audi execs are just the people most vocal about the need to go to higher-power QCs. With the U.S. manufacturers also using CCS (even if GM doesn't intend to subsidize them), now that they're all having to take long-range BEVs seriously (VW Group certainly, for obvious reasons), they'll all need high power QCs to compete with the SC network. If there were any doubt, Tesla has shown conclusively that such a network is an essential marketing tool and brand valuation.

dgpcolorado said:
GetOffYourGas said:

I'm happy you had self control but you missed my point. I didn't say that everyone overindulges nor that anyone does it every time. But many people do. Similarly, it doesn't take all people abusing the system for SCs to become overcrowded.

I'm also glad you are enjoying your Tesla and the benefits it offers. for early adopters, "free for life" is a nice benefit. It is my opinion that a pay-as-you-go system, at least for the cheaper cars, will lead to the best outcome overall in terms of adoption of EVs in the market. I want to see EVs survive and thrive but on-the-go charging is a real problem and hindrance to widespread adoption today.

garsh said:

I've been discussing this statement with somebody else, and we've decided that it may simply mean that it's cheaper to drive long distances when you purchase the supercharging package. I think I was reading too much into the statement the first time. I can't see Tesla wanting to deal with the added overhead of billing & customer service of some kind of pay-per-use option.

Back