Toyota Mirai Fuel Cell

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
long steady incline, then long steady decline are not good for Mirai fuel efficiency. unlike batteries, H2 fuel cells have an efficiency curve that hurts range if the vehicle can't effectively use its HEV battery.

ydnas7 said:
long steady incline, then long steady decline are not good for Mirai fuel efficiency. unlike batteries, H2 fuel cells have an efficiency curve that hurts range if the vehicle can't effectively use its HEV battery.

Please provide some technical data and avoid anecdotal evidence expressed by owners on EV websites.

Please provide some technical data and avoid anecdotal evidence expressed by owners on EV websites.[/quote]

Anecdotal evidence expressed by owner of a Mirai on his website,
http://www.corism.com/blog/34/2773.html
range of Mirai drops to 350km on return trip to Hokane tourist area. this contrast in the owners experience in driving on level ground.
note the units are in km not miles,

another blog (university hydrogen car maker/driver)
http://ssj3gohan.tweakblogs.net/blog/11470/why-fuel-cell-cars-dont-work-part-1
actual fuel cell efficiency curves http://www.filedropper.com/hypmhd8-200-01techspec

so yeah, the range reduction is real, it relates to a use that doesn't degrade range on EVs, its in-addition to other reasons for real world range reduction for fuel cells (degradation, adverse atmospheric conditions, etc)

ydnas7 said:
Anecdotal evidence expressed by owner of a Mirai on his website,
http://www.corism.com/blog/34/2773.html
range of Mirai drops to 350km on return trip to Hokane tourist area. this contrast in the owners experience in driving on level ground.
note the units are in km not miles,

another blog (university hydrogen car maker/driver)
http://ssj3gohan.tweakblogs.net/blog/11470/why-fuel-cell-cars-dont-work-part-1
actual fuel cell efficiency curves http://www.filedropper.com/hypmhd8-200-01techspec

so yeah, the range reduction is real, it relates to a use that doesn't degrade range on EVs, its in-addition to other reasons for real world range reduction for fuel cells (degradation, adverse atmospheric conditions, etc)

Your links are poor, e.g. one is in Japanese.
Are you implying that as the power demand (KW/HP) increases, e.g. climbing a grade, to maintain a constant
speed, that the efficiency of a FCEV decreases more than for a BEV, thus affecting range more for a FCEV?

Via GCC:
First 5 production Toyota Mirai fuel cell vehicles for Europe arrive
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2015/08/20150811-mirai.html

. . . We are looking forward to the start of delivery of the first Mirai to customers from September and to see the future taking shape on European roads. As with Prius 15 years ago, we are proud to bring yet another groundbreaking innovation to Europe with Mirai.

—Karl Schlicht, Executive Vice-President Toyota Motor Europe

Toyota is targeting annual sales of 50-100 units per year in 2015 and 2016. Markets beyond the UK, Germany and Denmark will be added from 2017 as the hydrogen infrastructure develops. Price is €66,000 (US$73,000) + VAT (Germany).

GRA said:
Toyota is targeting annual sales of 50-100 units per year in 2015 and 2016.

I'll bet Toyota makes more insurance claims for written off vehicles in a year than this! Wow, I had no idea that they weren't really going to try in Europe.

At 1000 cars per week, Tesla will produce the entire volume equivalent of Europe H2 cars in less than a day.

One day out of a year.

TonyWilliams said:
GRA said:

I'll bet Toyota makes more insurance claims for written off vehicles in a year than this! Wow, I had no idea that they weren't really going to try in Europe.

At 1000 cars per week, Tesla will produce the entire volume equivalent of Europe H2 cars in less than a day.

One day out of a year.

I thought they were assembling each one by hand. Must take a little longer.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
TonyWilliams said:
GRA said:

One day out of a year.

I thought they were assembling each one by hand. Must take a little longer.

I am a little puzzled by the constant focus on the low volume production in the short term. That is a fact. These cars are pure experiment. So is the idea that because it is not possible to make Mirais in volume on day one we should never try? I mean Tesla managed to make 2500 Roadsters by using someone elses shell in 5 years. Does that mean they should not have even tried and just quit?

MODERATORS NOTE:

General FCEV posts will no longer be tolerated in this thread. You know where to post.

Keep this specific to the Mirai.

GRA said:
Can a mod _please_ move all the "why FCEVs don't make sense and never will" posts over to the H2/FCEV thread?
Then stop adding non-Mirai specific to it. :roll:

Thread locked until further notice.

EDIT: I just spent 40 minutes reading through this thread and moving a LOT of posts which are either 100% FCEV/H2 based or at the very least the ratio of FCEV/H2 content to Mirai content was easiliy biased towards FCEV/H2 content to the H2/FCEV thread.

Absolutely zero of the posts since my last general warning have remained on topic.

Zero.

As I see it, we have a a couple choices:

1. Let the topic drift where it may.
2. Merge the Mirai and H2 / FCEV threads together.
3. Continue on as usual - and live with the poor signal to noise ratio and periodic thread clean ups.

Thoughts?

drees said:
GRA said:
Can a mod _please_ move all the "why FCEVs don't make sense and never will" posts over to the H2/FCEV thread?

EDIT: I just spent 40 minutes reading through this thread and moving a LOT of posts which are either 100% FCEV/H2 based or at the very least the ratio of FCEV/H2 content to Mirai content was easiliy biased towards FCEV/H2 content to the H2/FCEV thread.

Absolutely zero of the posts since my last general warning have remained on topic.

Zero.

3. Continue on as usual - and live with the poor signal to noise ratio and periodic thread clean ups.

Thoughts?

FWIW I don't think there will be a great deal of new MIRAI related information flowing out at a great rate due to slow roll out. So if people stuck to the topic the thread may see little activity anyway. And with no disincentive and a lack of basic ability to stay on topic (because honestly there is very little content added here that addresses the Mirai specifically) maybe the most practical approach is 2?

drees said:
GRA said:
Doing my best, but I'm aware that I'm often one of the worst for topic drift, or sometimes you feel you just have to reply to off-topic posts.

drees said:

Zero.

Thoughts?
I count three choices ;) I much prefer #3, extra work though it may be for the mods. We have a Tucson FCEV thread, which (so far at least) mostly seems to stay on-topic (complaints about early H2 station problems aside, which drift to the general), and given some strict policing initially this one can be nudged back in the same direction. As epirali points out, given the slow roll-out this topic is bound to have a small number of posts for a while, and that's fine. I only initiate posts here to report Mirai-specific news, keeping the general stuff for that topic.

Getting back on track, I posted this in the H2 thread when I first saw it back in April, although it should have been posted here too as it's Mirai-specific. So, without further ado, via GCC:
Toyota pops the hood on the technology of the fuel cell Mirai at SAE World Congress
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2015/04/20150429-mirai.html#more

epirali said:
So if people stuck to the topic the thread may see little activity anyway. And with no disincentive and a lack of basic ability to stay on topic (because honestly there is very little content added here that addresses the Mirai specifically) maybe the most practical approach is 2?
Little activity is a bonus - then you might actually see Mirai specific content if you are looking for it. Not much input and I pretty much agree with GRA and #3 for the time being so we'll leave things as they are.

Thank you everyone for keeping this thread on topic.

Being curious about the Mirai, I signed up online expressing interest in one by going through the questionnaire.

I get all the way through despite it appearing that there will only be one fueling station 10 miles away from home (and not along my commute) at least a year from now and the nearest dealer being 60 miles away.

I start receiving daily calls last Friday and they are leaving messages asking me to call back. I finally get the chance to answer one and talk to a nice woman, but I don't get any real additional information from her, really just seems to want my permission to forward my information to the dealer who will then contact me, so I agree - maybe they have more information.

Next I receive an email from the dealer asking me for a $500 deposit and includes a 2 page document saying how H2 fueling requires special training, loss of range will occur over the life of the vehicle (but don't say how much to expect).

Hrm.

Whatever curiosity I had in the vehicle has now been effectively killed.

drees said:
Being curious about the Mirai, I signed up online expressing interest in one by going through the questionnaire.

I get all the way through despite it appearing that there will only be one fueling station 10 miles away from home (and not along my commute) at least a year from now and the nearest dealer being 60 miles away.

I start receiving daily calls last Friday and they are leaving messages asking me to call back. I finally get the chance to answer one and talk to a nice woman, but I don't get any real additional information from her, really just seems to want my permission to forward my information to the dealer who will then contact me, so I agree - maybe they have more information.

Next I receive an email from the dealer asking me for a $500 deposit and includes a 2 page document saying how H2 fueling requires special training, loss of range will occur over the life of the vehicle (but don't say how much to expect).

Hrm.

Whatever curiosity I had in the vehicle has now been effectively killed.

Thanks for the post, do you plan to continue the "path" for research and if you do could you please provide updates? I am very curious, and being in MD I can not even sign up. I am somewhat tempted to get one for my sister in LA just to "put my money where my mouth is" as it were.

Back