Towing a Trailer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course, if your car is not approved for towing, as the Leaf is not, you may have the same issue...

NavyCuda said:
I'm mostly concerned about trying to find a class II hitch for insurance purposes.
If I tow a trailer with a GVW of 2990lbs with a class I hitch and I'm up to trailer GVW and there is an accident I might not have insurance.

Technically speaking that only effects warranty here in BC. It is lawful to modify and alter the GVW of a vehicle beyond the manufacturers specifications.

If I build my own hitch, which is an option that is also lawful, but if I buy a hitch and use it beyond the specifications that could become an issue.

The problem is that if I build my own hitch, I'll way over build and over complicate it.

I bought the Curt wiring system last year and finally got around to installing it today. It is the system that plugs in to the plugs by each tail light. It doesn't work despite following the instructions exactly. What to do now?

Edit: nevermind, I connected the cable to the negative instead of positive battery terminal duh.

MarkBC said:
I bought the Curt wiring system last year and finally got around to installing it today. It is the system that plugs in to the plugs by each tail light. It doesn't work despite following the instructions exactly. What to do now?

Edit: nevermind, I connected the cable to the negative instead of positive battery terminal duh.

It works great now, right? It is the same one I used also, without problem, and very easy install. Glad you figured it out!

Evoforce said:
Curt manufacturing is less expensive. I got one for $114 shipped.

Are you referring to the hitch or the wiring from Curt? If the hitch, can you provide a link. Pricing on the Curt website is way higher than that.

Also - I assume the bolt pattern for the 2016 is the same for the 2015?

ironmanco said:
Evoforce said:
Curt manturing is lessxpensive. I got one for $114 shipped.

Are you referring to the hitch or the wiring from Curt? If the hitch, can you provide a link. Pricing on the Curt website is way higher than that.

No, I was talking about the receiver hitch and the ball support. They also have the wiring kit for something like I think $45.

Evoforce said:
ironmanco said:
Evoforce said:
Curt manturing is lessxpensive. I got one for $114 shipped.

No, I was talking about the receiver hitch and the ball. They also have the wiring kit for something like I think $25-$35.

Okay - wow! Please tell me where you got the receiver hitch AND the ball for $114!

It was purchased on Amazon. Bought through Hubcaps Plus. Curt Manufacturing Hitch part number 113093 about $114. If you want a wiring kit also from Curt part number 56227 around $48. Once you locate the hitches click on other offers which will show you slightly cheaper prices offered. Enjoy! Shipping was free. Also on Ebay seller Trendsauto has a hitch with the wiring kit included for $165 with free shipping.

Evoforce said:
It was purchased on Amazon. Bought through Hubcaps Plus. Curt Manufacturing Hitch part number 113093 about $114. If you want a wiring kit also from Curt part number 56227 around $48. Once you locate the hitches click on other offers which will show you slightly cheaper prices offered. Enjoy! Shipping was free. Also on Ebay seller Trendsauto has a hitch with the wiring kit included for $165 with free shipping.

Thanks for the info. Interesting that the curt site says that drilling is required. I assumed this would just bolt up to the frame of the Leaf.

Can I also assume that anything that fits the 2015 would fit the 2016.

ironmanco said:
Evoforce said:

Thanks for the info. Interesting that the curt site says that drilling is required. I assumed this would just bolt up to the frame of the Leaf.

Can I also assume that anything that fits the 2015 would fit the 2016.

There are instructions that come with it. There are also online videos. It is an easy job. You basically just have to auger out 1 existing hole. A step drill bit makes it easy. The bolts and the fish wire comes with hitch. I would assume a 15 will fit a 16.

Hi all,

New here. Very keen on getting a hitch for my leaf so please please help :D

Looking at getting an Ecohitch with 2" receiver shipped to the UK.

Torkliftcentral won't sell me one until they have tested the fit on a MY2016 LEAF (Mine's a red 30 kWh Tekna), within a month or so they say.

Please can you have a look at the following and tell me whether or not you think the hitch would clear the UK spec fog light?

http://cdn1.autoexpress.co.uk/sites/autoexpressuk/files/nissan_leaf_.rearaction.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/B6oAAOSw1DtXK0AZ/$_57.JPG

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab189/Firstchoicebumpers/JANUARY%204TH/DSC06623_zps7qfzvgjj.jpg

If possible could you post a photo showing the height of the hitch relative to the fins of the diffuser?

I think if it's lower than the fins, or maybe slightly higher, it will fit.

Found this where he says it won't fit but he talks about a quick release hitch so I don't think he means the ecohitch I think he means the one a forum member was selling a while back (this one http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=7829) , and that does look higher on the photos:

http://www.leaftalk.co.uk/showthread.php/16512-Fitted-tow-bar?p=68407&viewfull=1#post68407

http://michael.palm-motors.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/20110716-040829.jpg

Thank you :D

Jazzist said:
If possible could you post a photo showing the height of the hitch relative to the fins of the diffuser?
These pictures might help.

http://nissanleaf.guru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17

Thanks for the link, looks like I'm SOL with the Torklift central.

Should have joined the LEAF party whilst they were still being made.

Jazzist said:
Hi all,

I think if it's lower than the fins, or maybe slightly higher, it will fit.

We installed the Ecohitch on my daughter's '13:

VKvth7N.jpg

wiL6IyF.jpg

It's fairly high up and hard to see unless your looking. The hitch is lower than the fins.

Great company to work with; the instructions are clear and easy. The fit and finish is very high quality.

Hope this helps. :cool:

Thanks for the info and photos, very helpful :)

The hitch looks higher than the fins on the photo, is that just the angle of the photo?
Is that the 2" (wondering if that makes a height difference)?

Here's a photo of the back of my car:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/clouddrive/share/OJd9ozF0wNvcGdU9QOCgAZB0b3INT7MQWaXGGyexwhD?v=grid&ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

https://www.amazon.co.uk/clouddrive/share/6E7p4pNyHgiDjDzaVhZeQx6YBergtcrT7MCqnc3eKxl?v=grid&ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

I wonder if we could take a measurement if you'd be willing to do that, something like this (or to some other reference point):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/clouddrive/share/C8QUo5geAUfskcLiz1gYVEnUxDzRMOaRb4th1DtFmnS?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

I can then check this vs. distance to bottom of fog lamp.

Also sent the above question and photos to Toklift Central support so will see what they say.. also asked if they'd custom fabricate one for me with the receiver to clear the fog lamp by some amount (e.g. 0.5") as they do advertise custom fab on their website (I can't see this being a big job? (if they need to do anything at all!!)).

Thule have a monopoly over here and everyone loves putting their stuff on the roof, I really don't want to do it. The clamps for the LEAF look crap and the bike carriers are poor to. I want to import a 1UP USA rack. The hitch gives so many options like having a box there on a load tray for camping stuff, whereas the roof has such a low load limit it's a waste of time (also easier taking stuff on and off at a reasonable height). I really despair at the options readily available to me and am determined to sort out a hitch mount :) For my bikes I'd be happy with the Seasucker; vs. a hitch mount it's not as flexible - it costs the same and can only carry bikes.

Final desperate option I suppose would be to buy the $120 Curt hitch and borrow the design (sans the drilling the car chassis part of the design), CAD it myself, with the hitch receiver a bit lower, and get it fabricated locally. I'm a pro on Solidworks so drawing the hitch having one to hand shouldn't be a problem. Could probably 3D scan the thing to make the initial model :) No idea what the cost of the fabrication would be though, could be a problem.

More love for the Leaf Towing topic. :D

My recent towing, 325 lb trailer with 1,100 lb crate (1,425 lbs total) containing an electric ATV for farm work.

Towed the trailer & crate +60 miles from shipment center to rural farm. Average about 2.9 Efficiency (the crate was like a parachute the entire way, speeds kept under 55 mph for noise sanity reasons)

file.php

Hello,

I have a Nissan Leaf, it says 2013, but it seems to be 2012 model.
I have a problem to solve... how do I install with the fog lamp or light there?

leaf_lamp_fog_light.jpg

Is there any make for it? Also how do I know it is 2012 or 2013?

Thank you

Jazzist said:
Thanks for the info and photos, very helpful :)

The hitch looks higher than the fins on the photo, is that just the angle of the photo?
Is that the 2" (wondering if that makes a height difference)?

Here's a photo of the back of my car:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/clouddrive/share/OJd9ozF0wNvcGdU9QOCgAZB0b3INT7MQWaXGGyexwhD?v=grid&ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

https://www.amazon.co.uk/clouddrive/share/6E7p4pNyHgiDjDzaVhZeQx6YBergtcrT7MCqnc3eKxl?v=grid&ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

I wonder if we could take a measurement if you'd be willing to do that, something like this (or to some other reference point):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/clouddrive/share/C8QUo5geAUfskcLiz1gYVEnUxDzRMOaRb4th1DtFmnS?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

I can then check this vs. distance to bottom of fog lamp.

Also sent the above question and photos to Toklift Central support so will see what they say.. also asked if they'd custom fabricate one for me with the receiver to clear the fog lamp by some amount (e.g. 0.5") as they do advertise custom fab on their website (I can't see this being a big job? (if they need to do anything at all!!)).

Thule have a monopoly over here and everyone loves putting their stuff on the roof, I really don't want to do it. The clamps for the LEAF look crap and the bike carriers are poor to. I want to import a 1UP USA rack. The hitch gives so many options like having a box there on a load tray for camping stuff, whereas the roof has such a low load limit it's a waste of time (also easier taking stuff on and off at a reasonable height). I really despair at the options readily available to me and am determined to sort out a hitch mount :) For my bikes I'd be happy with the Seasucker; vs. a hitch mount it's not as flexible - it costs the same and can only carry bikes.

Final desperate option I suppose would be to buy the $120 Curt hitch and borrow the design (sans the drilling the car chassis part of the design), CAD it myself, with the hitch receiver a bit lower, and get it fabricated locally. I'm a pro on Solidworks so drawing the hitch having one to hand shouldn't be a problem. Could probably 3D scan the thing to make the initial model :) No idea what the cost of the fabrication would be though, could be a problem.

If you want to fabricate you could work off of Bill's design. He's no longer selling them but he made a 2 piece system where the receiver was removable. Since there's a concern with the fog light I would imagine you could make the receiver portion lower to clear the light. It could cause a clearance issue when it's not being used. If you follow his design and make it removable then you would not have to worry about clearance and scraping when not using the hitch. Maybe you can contact him and ask if he's willing to share his plans with you?

pedm said:
Hello,

I have a Nissan Leaf, it says 2013, but it seems to be 2012 model.
I have a problem to solve... how do I install with the fog lamp or light there?

leaf_lamp_fog_light.jpg

Is there any make for it? Also how do I know it is 2012 or 2013?

Thank you

The Pre 2013 leaf have 2 features that easily identify it. On the outside you should see a factory installed side marker under the side mirrors on the body of the front fenders. If you look at the trunk the 13+ have relocated the car charger under the hood, means the bump in behind the rear seat where the charger used to be has been eliminated. That's a dead giveaway incase a previous owner installed side markers.

Back