Towing a Trailer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
If you have to use an adapter to fit a larger device like a bicycle carrier with a 2" end, it will likely wobble a little.
Ah! So I guess the question is if they make a 1 1/4" bicycle carrier. Otherwise I guess a little wobble never hurt anything anyway.

Do you think the 2" receiver looks too big? I looks like the smaller the more aerodynamic it might be.

IssacZachary said:
Ok. So I'm going to order an Ecohitch from Torquelift. But I'm trying to decide between 2" and 1 1/4". I doubt I'd ever tow more than the 2,000lb limit. I'm looking at 1,000lb trailers actually. It looks like a 1 1/4 ball mount can pull 3,500lbs. I'm leaning towards the smaller 1 1/4" receiver but is there any reason I should get the 2"?

From what I remember reading out of the threads on towing with a Leaf, I believe you will be much happier with a 2" receiver. I have contemplated getting one for my Leaf. If I do, it will be a 2" unit.

baustin said:
IssacZachary said:
Ok. So I'm going to order an Ecohitch from Torquelift. But I'm trying to decide between 2" and 1 1/4". I doubt I'd ever tow more than the 2,000lb limit. I'm looking at 1,000lb trailers actually. It looks like a 1 1/4 ball mount can pull 3,500lbs. I'm leaning towards the smaller 1 1/4" receiver but is there any reason I should get the 2"?

From what I remember reading out of the threads on towing with a Leaf, I believe you will be much happier with a 2" receiver. I have contemplated getting one for my Leaf. If I do, it will be a 2" unit.
+1, 1 1/4 receivers are OK but you'll soon find out they wobble much more than 2" and it's also much harder to find accessories like the plastic cover that inserts the hole(should you lose the one that came with the hitch). I went with 1/1/4 on some of my other cars but only because I couldn't find anyone who sold the 2" for that vehicle(generally the size of the hole tells you the capacity of what the vehicle can tow and it's maximum tongue weight) so for small vehicles you get 1 1/4, pickups or large SUVs get 2". IMO if you can get a 2" for the Leaf(and your not dumb enough to think you can tow 5000lbs or have 500lbs tongue weight) your all the better off. Also if you sell your Leaf make sure to tell the next owner to not do it just because it has a hitch size capable of it :lol:

I put a 1-1/4" Hitch Receiver on my 2015 LEAF.

I already had a Thule T2 type bike rack with a good screw down anti-wobble 1-1/4 hitch attachment.

The rack works great and there is little to no wobble - I probably would have gone with a 2" Hitch if I didn't already have the rack in 1-1/4" size.

Thanks for all the great replies! :)

A 2" receiver it is then! I don't have a rack or ball mount yet so if I go 2" I can shop for 2".

There are days I'd like to go rent a snow blower and don't have anything to transport it with. A little trailer would work great for this! And in the summer I would like to be able to take the wife's and my bikes out away from town.

leafbogger.jpg

Not that this helps the forum in any way-shape-or-form, but I just wanted to share!

I installed my hitch (eco hitch by torklift) this weekend and am on my way to being a full-fledged leaf nut! Just need to hang some pine cones on my hitch. :p

image000000.jpg

I'll chime in for the Torklift hitch. Very solid, very firmly attached, easy to install, well thought out. I'm pleased.
You'll need the 2" receiver and 2" ball for any UHaul gear.

So I need to add a hitch ... I have a truck for towing small trailers and a jetski. Once I add the hitch I can most likely get rid of the truck :lol:
I read this entire thread and it has fantastic info and pictures!

Initially before reading this I was going to buy a Curt 11396 hitch for $117 on Amazon

It's very tempting for just over $100

But after reading this, looks like the torklift EcoHitch with a 2" receiver is much better quality... but it's $294 :eek:

I wish I could see them side by side ... so I'm asking here, I guess everyone agrees that the EcoHitch is worth the extra $$ over the Curt hitch ?

valem said:
So I need to add a hitch ... I have a truck for towing small trailers and a jetski. Once I add the hitch I can most likely get rid of the truck :lol:
I read this entire thread and it has fantastic info and pictures!

Initially before reading this I was going to buy a Curt 11396 hitch for $117 on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/CURT-11396-Class-Trailer-Hitch/dp/B00KB6YF3G

It's very tempting for just over $100 ... But after reading this, looks like the torklift EcoHitch with a 2" receiver is much better quality... but it's $294 :eek:
https://torkliftcentral.com/trailer-hitches/rear-mounted-receiver-hitches/ecohitch/nissan/2013-2016-nissan-leaf-ecohitch

I wish I could see them side by side ... so I'm asking here, I guess everyone agrees that the EcoHitch is worth the extra $$ over the Curt hitch ?

I only tried the forklift, and being a no-drill installation simplified things for me. I did a DIY with just a jack and jack stands. Cutting the diffuser panel was the hardest thing to do (emotionally), but having a second set of hands definitely helped with mounting the hitch receiver. Never installed a hitch receiver before, so it took me and my friend a few hours to cross reference the installation instructions with a YouTube video about how to take apart the leaf and where to run the brake-light cabling.

To anybody that has seen or used both the Curt 11396 hitch and the Torklift EcoHitch ...

Is the Torklift EcoHitch worth the 2.5x cost over the Curt 11396 hitch ?

I'm unsure what to get, price wise I really like the Curt ... how much better is the EcoHitch ?

What I can say is I have a Torklift hitch on my Prius & the build quality is very high & it all fit perfectly without having to muck around with fitment issues.

It also hugs tight against the bottom of the car so it's never in the way when not in use. I have seen plenty of other Prius with tow hitches & all the rest stick out way more which has to have an impact on aero & just looks ugly IMO.

I didn't know about the 2" hitch when i bought my 1.25" curt. with a $16 reese 1.25" to 2" adaptor i can use my 2" bike rack and cargo rack. curt suggests an anti rocking tiedown to be used, so a ratchet strap can be used to pull it all the way to one side with 4 bikes on it, and it does not rattle. also UHAUL will rent the 4x6 cargo trailer to me, called and verified that with them, they care about weight ratings, the 1.25" hitch has a 1500lb rating and the 2" is rated at 2000lb, maybe it will allow rental of the larger 5x8 trailer, i did not ask that question. But I own a little 4"x4" trailer too, i've moved huge refrigerators and other heavy items short distances (~30 mile) with my leaf, its better than great to get 130+MPGe and have approximate short-bed truck capabilities.

I have the 2" ecohitch, and have had no issues other than some driveways being too steep for the cargo hitch that I attach to the back. The cargo hitch would scrape the concrete as the car enters the street from the driveway.

When I was researching the curt versus the ecohitch, I noticed that the curt requires drilling 1 hole into the frame. Since I don't own any drill-bits big enough to drill that hole, I felt the bolt-on ecohitch was more DIY-friendly, and thus of better value than the curt.

Hope this helps!

I tow with my leaf all the time. Using my little 4x8 utility flat bed.

One thing I have noticed is pickup truck owners se to get really butt hurt when they see an electric vehicle pulling more on a trailer then what they can haul in the back of their pickup.

Back