Towing a Trailer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GetOffYourGas said:
greengate said:
Zamallchi said:
what level of impact on range do you guys experience when towing?
.5 or maybe even less :lol:

Nice boat! What is that? I've got an O'Day 22. I'd love to eventually tow it with an EV. Maybe the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV would do the trick...
I don't know..Large!!

I just thought it would make a nice picture, so I just backed up to it.

Next time I'm over at the harbor, I'll take a look.

Attachments

• images-14.jpeg
    images-14.jpeg
    9.8 KB · Views: 86
@palmermd, I'm ordering the kit from etrailer...I assume I'll need the battery wiring kit also, correct?

http://www.etrailer.com/p-55151.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also how did you run wires to the battery? Along the undercarriage of the car and up into the engine compartment or thru the interior of the car somehow?

Thanks for answering my questions.

jopickens said:
Zamallchi said:
@palmermd, where did you get the tow hitch? what tow/tongue weight is it rated for? thanks for the link to the powered converter for the brake lights.

Here's where I got mine (the 2" vs.)...

http://torkliftcentral.com/ecohitch/nissan/ecohitch_leaf.php

leaftrailer.jpg

Josh
Nice picture of your LEAF and trailer. Thanks for sharing that.

How much ground clearance do you loose with the hitch being on there ?

Does it scrape going through the gutters and parking lot entrances ?

Thank you... it works quite well. I've easily paid for the hitch hauling stuff to/fro work/storage/stores vs. driving one of my trucks. I probably use the hitch with trailer or cargo carrier once/week on avg. for something, even if it's local.
The hitch is quite snug to the body... I'll post a pic. I've never drug the hitch w/or w/out the trailer attached and I probably put the car in more 'off road' type situations than the typical owner, especially when taking it camping etc.
Josh

Thank you... it works quite well. I've easily paid for the hitch hauling stuff to/fro work/storage/stores vs. driving one of my trucks. I probably use the hitch with trailer or cargo carrier once/week on avg. for something, even if it's local.
The hitch is quite snug to the body... I'll post a pic. I've never drug the hitch w/or w/out the trailer attached and I probably put the car in more 'off road' type situations than the typical owner, especially when taking it camping etc.
Josh

Got a question on using the powered wiring converters (either the Curt 56146 or the Hopkins 46255): Did everyone run a power wired (fused of course) all the way from the front 12 V battery back to the converter? Or is there a better 12 V connection, meaning closer to the rear of the Leaf?

Thanks so much! I'm looking forward to some light-duty Leaf towing. I have a small trailer that I used with my 2004 Prius...but now the gas engine never starts up in my Leaf, haha.

Curt

curt: I used the Hopkins unit. I did run the power wire all the way to the battery, there are plenty of spots to tie it up to the underside of the car. It draws 7 milliamps when the car is off, I think that's negligible. I've had no 12 volt problems so far. When I go on vacation this Summer it will sit for a week, I'll report back if there is a problem.

Thanks pyrotech! I thought that would be the best 12 Volt connection under the hood for the trailer wiring. This will hopefully be a sooner rather than later project. Got too many yard projects pending and need my trailer access.

Curt

I put the hitch from torklift central on. And I bought the light adapter kit from them too. All I tow is a little utility trailer I bought from harbor freight. I never went to the effort to hook the 12 volt wire to the battery from the lights adapter. All I did was buy a cigarette lighter power adapter and ran a 18 gauge wire to it. (4 amps is all the trailer lights draw if they are all on) So when I need to tow a trailer I take that cover on the left side of the trunk off (the tire repair kit is there) pull out my light wires, pull out the power wire, and close the hatch lid over the light wires and run the power wire in between the seats and plug it into the 12v power socket. This way I can remove it all if there's ever a warranty issue. I can say "all I ever used that hitch for was a bike rack"

this looks great. whats everyones thoughts on cutting the rear diffuser on a leased vehicle ? Think I will get dinged when I return the vehicle after lease ?

My 2 cents...no one's looking under there upon lease return. Unless other things are just hanging off the car due to, well, too much EV fun!

Plus, I'm in the buy-out-the-lease camp right now. That could change in 2.5 years...

I will add that the Torklift successfully brought home a half yard of mulch and a barrel full of compost last weekend. My lights are run from a Curt wiring harness with a power wire running thru the firewall from the 12V battery back to the connections at the rear lights and then thru a rubber grommet in the trunk bottom. Sorry no pics but I can answer questions. Love having my trailer access back! Very stout hitch. Leaf didn't seem to mind having the trailer back there, but my trip to/from the garden center is flat, 30MPH, and 4 miles roundtrip over the Willamette River.

Curt

PS Full disclosure. This is my 1st lease ever. YMMV or YkwhMV

Thanks! Does anyone know if the Curt wire harness also works on the 2015? Torklift didn't know so I only bought the hitch. By the way how hard was install?

weight does not equal lower range in all conditions.

in fact weight has zero impact on range unless you are changing acceleration or if you overdo the weight and overload something (not likely)

so if your in the city. weight will have a pretty big impact. if your cruising along at 50mph few stops. weight won't have any real impact at all on your overall range.

what WILL have a simply huge impact on our range is "drag" if you can keep the frontal area of the trailer smaller than the base drag of the leaf you won't suffer much if any aero penalty.

if it "sticks out" at all your going to see a pretty hefty range hit most likely unless your going very slowly (under 40mph maybe under 30mph)

Getting ready to roll over 30k miles. No issues thus far... Seem to still tow/haul something in the trailer weekly. Josh

IMG_9934.JPG

IMG_9933.JPG

Towed a trailer 861 miles in one trip, Leaf did wonderful during the trip. I can't attach pictures here, but the better information about my trip can be found here: http://nissanleaf.guru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27

Back