Towing a Trailer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^Just read the entire post "Nissan Leaf - 861 Mile Trip + Towing Trailer"
What a fun journey... thanks for keeping such detailed notes!
Josh

Stepped up to a 5x10 - hauling new range, refrigerator, and microwave.

leaf5x10.JPG

jopickens said:
Stepped up to a 5x10 - hauling new range, refrigerator, and microwave.

leaf5x10.JPG

So awesome man. I am still in the beginning phase of acquiring my first Leaf, and towing a trailer will be a MUST. I am coming from a 5.7L Dodge RAM. I've never been more excited for a car purchase!

My Leaf is my workhorse. I do have a truck, but the gas mileage is just too low for anything other than very extreme or heavy towing. Otherwise, the Leaf fills in the other 99% of the time and it is a pleasure to drive. Silent and smooth, regen for braking, rear view camera is great for backing up, I can see exactly where the trailer is going. :D

file.php

NissanLeafCamper said:
Nice guys! For the two people towing quite often what kind of hit on range are you guys seeing?
It varies greatly on what is being towed, weight vs. wind resistance.

I have both a hitch haul and a trailer. The hitch haul sits perfect behind the Leaf and I don't notice any difference in efficiency when hauling stuff that does not stick out of the Leaf air profile. The trailer is the same way, makes little difference when empty, but depending on what I put on it the effect can vary from null to a full 1.0 loss for efficiency. The heaviest thing that I've towed *recently* is another car via a tow dolly. 1995 Toyota Corolla, weights about 2300lbs plus 750 lbs for the tow dolly. So towed about 3,050 lbs for 27 miles (I put a Class II trailer receiver on my Leaf). I picked the most "level" route for my drive, but it did have a few big hills to go up and down on the main road. Leaf had no problem towing or stopping (used Non-Eco B mode for entire trip for safety). I scored a 2.5 on the efficiency meter for that trip :lol: Good thing I started the trip at near 100% charge, took over 50% power to go that distance. I kept speeds under 50 mph the entire trip.

This hitch is built as well or better than a Class III
It's obviously de-rated for this vehicle, which isn't factory rated to tow anything anywho...
my two cents
Josh

Bolt in...
Part number: x7221 (2") is the version I have.

Completely concealed design - only receiver is visible
100 percent bolt-on installation - no drilling required
Engineered to meet stringent national SAE J684 towing safety standards
Rated for 200 pounds tongue weight, 2,000 pounds towing weight
Available in 1 1/4-inch and 2-inch receivers
Designed to complement the aerodynamic contours and underbody airflow of vehicle
Manufactured with high impact powder coat
Material can include a qualified combination of aerospace grade aluminum, stainless steel or steel*
Eco-friendly, made with recycled materials
Lightweight
Free shipping to lower 48 states
Made in U.S.A
Lifetime Warranty

Again - here's the link - http://torkliftcentral.com/rving-and-towing/ecohitch/nissan/2013-2015-nissan-leaf-ecohitch-stealth

Josh

I'm mostly concerned about trying to find a class II hitch for insurance purposes.

If I tow a trailer with a GVW of 2990lbs with a class I hitch and I'm up to trailer GVW and there is an accident I might not have insurance.

I've also pulled a 5-ton dump truck out of a ditch with a one-ton Ford winch truck.

The Leaf has more than enough brakes and torque for the job.

Back