The Battery Replacement Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a semi-serious question, not a completely serious one...

What happens if you run the car in reverse? Does the odometer update? I know they don't run backwards, Ferris Bueller notwithstanding, and I suspect they also don't go forward.

Like I said, it probably won't update at chilly temperatures. Tow the vehicle into a small garage and use 10-30kW
diesel burner. Run fan and vehicle. Open service hatch (rear seats). Keep garage around 95F.

Also you may not reset BMS neither do firmware updates. it will reset battery to 12 bars temporarily.

EDIT: saw the other thread. I believe BMS uses thermistors inside the battery, not exterior temperature.

Rent a diesel heater! Don't blow directly onto the vehicle.
Diesel%20Heater%20REM34.jpg

LeftieBiker said:
This is a semi-serious question, not a completely serious one...

What happens if you run the car in reverse? Does the odometer update? I know they don't run backwards, Ferris Bueller notwithstanding, and I suspect they also don't go forward.
The Leaf is the first car where the the speedometer actually works in reverse, not sure about the odometer as I haven't driven that far in reverse to notice :D although considering the spedo works(and displays as a positive number) I'm guessing the odo might also update in the positive direction.

hillzofvalp said:
One of my 4S modules is extremely low.. like obviously failing pretty badly. 44.44Ah 67%SOH 46.78%Hx. Hasn't updated in months, as I said before...

Maybe this has been discussed somewhere, but how do you know it "hasn't updated in months?" Is that only because the car hasn't been driven in months? Is there a "date updated" value stored somewhere? I was under the impression it updated on a continuous basis, once the car was in Ready mode.

sub3marathonman said:
hillzofvalp said:
One of my 4S modules is extremely low.. like obviously failing pretty badly. 44.44Ah 67%SOH 46.78%Hx. Hasn't updated in months, as I said before...

Maybe this has been discussed somewhere, but how do you know it "hasn't updated in months?" Is that only because the car hasn't been driven in months? Is there a "date updated" value stored somewhere? I was under the impression it updated on a continuous basis, once the car was in Ready mode.

No, it has other trigger. My car has been garaged since November. I've maybe driven it 20 miles to see if it would update. I think it's dependent upon the C-rate and how long you're above a certain speed or C-rate.

I've left the car in ready mode for days and days with no change. Completely frozen. The pack is completely done, as you can see in the graphs it is likely worse than 67%. I'm thinking about opening up another case on the grounds that one of the 4S modules is particularly low. That will be something that's mentioned during my next dealer visit.

sub3marathonman said:
hillzofvalp said:

No, it has other trigger. My car has been garaged since November. I've maybe driven it 20 miles to see if it would update, all at under 30mph around my parking lot (storage insurance only). No update, even after bring pack temp up and doing hard pulls. I think it's dependent upon the C-rate and how long you're above a certain speed or C-rate.

I've left the car in ready mode for days and days with no change. Completely frozen. The pack is completely done, as you can see in the graphs it is likely worse than 67%. I'm thinking about opening up another case on the grounds that one of the 4S modules is particularly low. That will be something that's mentioned during my next dealer visit.

hillzofvalp said:
No, it has other trigger. My car has been garaged since November. I've maybe driven it 20 miles to see if it would update, all at under 30mph around my parking lot (storage insurance only). No update, even after bring pack temp up and doing hard pulls. I think it's dependent upon the C-rate and how long you're above a certain speed or C-rate.

Maybe I'm a bit slow understanding, I'm still back at trying to figure out how somebody would know it hasn't been updated? Can you only tell with the LeafSpy or can I tell when I 'm driving? Is the LeafSpy display thus exactly as it was two months ago?

Valdemar said:
Normal, my ahr was not moving to far from 40.5 last 2-3 months, but finally dropped below 40 this week with warmer weather.

Was it abrupt? Like 40.5--->40 over a matter of a mile?

hillzofvalp said:
Valdemar said:
Normal, my ahr was not moving to far from 40.5 last 2-3 months, but finally dropped below 40 this week with warmer weather.

Was it abrupt? Like 40.5--->40 over a matter of a mile?

Can't say, I'm not obsessively watching my ahr every day. All I know I was at 40.5 then several days later with the weather warmed up I was at 39.98. But this is the lowest I've seen with 60% SOH reported.

sub3marathonman said:
... Can you only tell with the LeafSpy or can I tell when I 'm driving? Is the LeafSpy display thus exactly as it was two months ago?
The non-changing values are SOH, AHr, and Hx from the top of the first LEAF Spy screen.

LEAF does not display them.

TimLee said:
sub3marathonman said:
... Can you only tell with the LeafSpy or can I tell when I 'm driving? Is the LeafSpy display thus exactly as it was two months ago?
The non-changing values are SOH, AHr, and Hx from the top of the first LEAF Spy screen.

LEAF does not display them.

Thank you TimLee. I wasn't really sure because I thought those values were updated on a regular basis.

But, as a theoretical possibility, there is no date associated in the LEAF Spy program with those values, so isn't it then possible that the values haven't changed because the battery itself hasn't changed due to the car not driving? I guess going on two months would get to be the outer range, but if it is cold it seems possible.

Is it possible for the LEAF Spy program to make a request and have the LEAF do the calculations, instead of waiting for the LEAF to decide it is time to update the values?

Just run the battery down then charge it up again (you don't necessarily have to drive anywhere to do this.) This will probably make your capacity metrics update.

sub3marathonman said:
But, as a theoretical possibility, there is no date associated in the LEAF Spy program with those values, so isn't it then possible that the values haven't changed because the battery itself hasn't changed due to the car not driving? I guess going on two months would get to be the outer range, but if it is cold it seems possible.

Is it possible for the LEAF Spy program to make a request and have the LEAF do the calculations, instead of waiting for the LEAF to decide it is time to update the values?
LEAF Spy requests values from the LEAF Car CAN.
But it does not have any way to ask the Battery Management System (BMS) to update the battery parameters.

However Nissan decided when to do that has been coded into the BMS.

hillzofvalp has observed that they have not updated in over two months with the vehicle parked in a warm garage even though the LEAF was put into Ready multiple times and a lot of power was used from the warm battery.

It is likely that something else like miles driven or some level of power usage is required for the BMS to consider the LEAF having been used and then do an update of the parameters.

fooljoe said:
Just run the battery down then charge it up again (you don't necessarily have to drive anywhere to do this.) This will make your capacity metrics update.

Cite your source for this claim.... This is not the case for the above poster who has done this many times over the last two months with no change.

It updated when I did it is all I can say. Could be that my battery was warmer or something like that - who knows? Unfortunately there's no such thing as "sources" for trying to figure out how this magical bar loss or BMS update happens. It's all just trial and error - try it yourself and see what happens if you want (I'm not going to now that I have a new battery.) :lol:

As to why the poster hasn't seen an update, that's hard to say. I'm not sure that the poster has clearly said what procedures he's followed, or followed any of the suggestions people have made here.

Back