The Battery Replacement Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pipcecil said:
well, it finally happened 4 bar went away @ 58,078 (it was probably few miles earlier, didn't notice until after I got on the highway from picking up dinner), AHr = 43.32, SOH = 66%, Hx=44.95%

When I saw my evening commute temp was over 95, I thought about you! I was wondering if the higher summer temps would finally catch up with your battery...

Just under the wire, too. It feels weird congratulating someone on a bar loss, but 'Grats! Glad it happened on the right side of the warranty line.

Pipcecil said:
well, it finally happened 4 bar went away @ 58,078 (it was probably few miles earlier, didn't notice until after I got on the highway from picking up dinner), AHr = 43.32, SOH = 66%, Hx=44.95%
Where's the jealousy smiley? :mrgreen:
I just dropped below 50 Ahrs the other day, but still have a way to go to lose my 3rd bar, much less the fourth. With 44K miles on the car already, things are not looking that good for me to qualify for warranty coverage. :(

TT

At least there is some hope for you, mine is still above 50 ahr and closing in on 56k miles. Oh well, plenty QCs around to compensate.

jhm614 said:
It feels weird congratulating someone on a bar loss, but 'Grats! Glad it happened on the right side of the warranty line.

I know it may feel weird, but I am soooo very happy. And so close to the deadline! About to call the dealership now to take it in to get it officially checked and approved. I am so paranoid that bar will come back before I get it checked.

It definitely will not directly be a model year 2015 batterry. All the model year 2011 and 2012 batteries have different construction and connector and supposedly are only being manufactured in Japan.
But it is possible they may also be changing to the heat resistant chemistry on a world wide basis.
How will anyone know? Will the part # be different?

I think I'm going to eventually get one. Houston, TX.

I was 'lucky' and bought a 10 bar car with only 8100 miles on it in January.

I've been loosely tracking loss via screenshots on Leaf Spy Pro.

Jan 10: Ahr 56.90 SOH 86 Hx 73.65 8485 miles
Mar 12 Ahr 52.77 SOH 80 Hx 63.24 13453 miles
Jun 23: Ahr 51.54 SOH 78 Hx 60.31 17078 miles (today)

I took a screen shot about a week ago with max temp of 101.8 and min of 98.3...gettin' hot!

I have about 15 months left on the warranty, and I and the wife are driving it for everything we can. But it looks like I'm on track. I'm doing 18,000 plus miles per year at this rate, and we still haven't hit summer this year really.

RegGuheert said:
TimLee said:
All the model year 2011 and 2012 batteries have different construction and connector and supposedly are only being manufactured in Japan.
This is the key.

Well we do know a couple of people that had their battery replaced coming from Tennessee vs Japan, so this isn't entirely true. BUT the switch to different chemistry for ALL makes 100% sense. The production of scale wants the same type of one thing. Multiple versions cost more. Imagine having to keep a specialized line around just for the older batteries if a replacement is needed. It makes no sense to make two types of chemistries and separate. The casing and wiring may be slightly different (you can't avoid that), but making two separate chemistries is not worth the price to keep the older one around unless its too hard to make the new chemistry work with the old wiring, but this shouldn't be an issue since the cells are all in uniform modules in a pack.

But will it be one? I don't know. I will be asking the dealership and the nissan hotline (whenever they call me back) to see. But it can only be their word vs what I actually get. At least I know my normal rate of loss, which is predicted quite well on Stoaty's model. So if this one is extremely far off with extra capacity, I could probably say it is a hot weather battery - but it would take time. I lost my first bar (15%) in 1 year in 20k miles. So I have a mark to compare it against, I will be replacing the battery close to when I original got the car (June 17th 3 years ago).

Pipcecil said:
Well we do know a couple of people that had their battery replaced coming from Tennessee vs Japan, so this isn't entirely true...
Really? I can't recall seeing any reports of warranty replacement batteries coming from Tennessee. Can you provide more info? That would be interesting.

dgpcolorado said:
Pipcecil said:
Well we do know a couple of people that had their battery replaced coming from Tennessee vs Japan, so this isn't entirely true...
Really? I can't recall seeing any reports of warranty replacement batteries coming from Tennessee. Can you provide more info? That would be interesting.
+1. First I've seen that reported too. More data :D

I swear it was someone on this same message thread....although I could be entirely mistaken and misread....which guessing from the response, I probably just misread.

Took car in yesterday and, unfortunately, the rep assigned to me didn't quite know whats going on ("so you mean to tell me its not charging up all the way?" - just a little bit off on that understanding...). But at least he knew to go talk to another rep that has more Leaf experience. They kept the car overnight saying they need to charge to 100% and then run the battery capacity check. I thought this was odd since the battery test for everything else is done on a low SoC. I got a rental and should get a call today confirming the warranty and when I will get a battery. Funny thing, the rep (poor guy) before he knew what was going on said we can get it replaced right-a-way. When I mentioned the battery will most likely be ordered, he dismissed it - "you will be surprised how much stuff we keep it stock, I bet there is one in stock here." After he talked to another rep, he said they will mostly likely have to order it but didn't know how long it would take since they have to have the confirmed battery capacity loss report to order the battery.

So hopefully good news today!

Pipcecil said:
Took car in yesterday and, unfortunately, the rep assigned to me didn't quite know whats going on ("so you mean to tell me its not charging up all the way?" - just a little bit off on that understanding...). But at least he knew to go talk to another rep that has more Leaf experience. They kept the car overnight saying they need to charge to 100% and then run the battery capacity check. I thought this was odd since the battery test for everything else is done on a low SoC. I got a rental and should get a call today confirming the warranty and when I will get a battery. Funny thing, the rep (poor guy) before he knew what was going on said we can get it replaced right-a-way. When I mentioned the battery will most likely be ordered, he dismissed it - "you will be surprised how much stuff we keep it stock, I bet there is one in stock here." After he talked to another rep, he said they will mostly likely have to order it but didn't know how long it would take since they have to have the confirmed battery capacity loss report to order the battery.

So hopefully good news today!

Are you sure you didn't take your car to a Chevvy dealer by mistake??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RegGuheert said:
Pipcecil: Please let us know if you wind up getting a MY2015 battery.

Hi, I'm curious if there's any proof that the heat resistant battery is even in testing phase yet. I just had my battery replaced a few weeks ago and the tech said he's not heard anything about it. I realized that is not the best person to ask, but he new right away what to do with my 4th bar loss. I also thought I read somewhere on this blog that the heat resistant battery and 'coupon' was just wishful thinking on our parts.

I'd be happy to call the tech back to see if he can tell me where my battery came from- if you think that will make a difference in longevity.

Thanks, everyone- this is such a helpful site.

Well today is starting day 3 since my turn in Monday afternoon. I was called last night by the service adviser and he said they are "working on the whole process" for the battery replacement, but there are still more items to submit to Nissan to satisfy the warrant (I personally though it was just one test with Consult...), so despite having the car an entire day, he couldn't even tell me if I had passed the screening test and was eligible for replacement. Seeing how others got their replacements quickly I don't know what is taking my car so long - this is despite the fact I know this dealership has replaced Leaf Batteries before so it should be a quick process. The service adviser even made a side comment - "yea those Leafs are just difficult cars to deal with, repairs, warranties, and such..." I guess each is entitled to their opinion because its been the easiest car I have owned for those items.

Oddly, within a few hours of taking my car into the shop, they disconnected the 12v battery. I haven't been able to log into the car since Monday evening. I didn't know this was protocol to check the battery capacity. Regardless, so far, its been slow. The only process that seems to have been done is charging the car (that should have taken 30 minutes I only went a few miles to the dealership), battery check for the warranty - well since they couldn't tell me I qualified, I am going to call this my current status. Hopefully I will hear this morning some good news (which I was supposed to hear yesterday). I am kind of hoping that since this rep is semi-naive about the Leaf process if I can get some specific information about the battery I am getting (just check the item part # and info screen!) that others wouldn't have given. We shall see.

My replacement went quickly:

I lost bar on Wed 6/11
scheduled battery check for Friday 6/13 Waited two hours for battery check to be completed.
battery ordered
battery delivered Tues 6/17
scheduled install Thurs 6/19
dropped off car evening of 6/18
picked up car 6/19 1 pm

Pipcecil said:
Well today is starting day 3 since my turn in Monday afternoon. I was called last night by the service adviser and he said they are "working on the whole process" for the battery replacement, but there are still more items to submit to Nissan to satisfy the warrant (I personally though it was just one test with Consult...), so despite having the car an entire day, he couldn't even tell me if I had passed the screening test and was eligible for replacement. Seeing how others got their replacements quickly I don't know what is taking my car so long - this is despite the fact I know this dealership has replaced Leaf Batteries before so it should be a quick process. The service adviser even made a side comment - "yea those Leafs are just difficult cars to deal with, repairs, warranties, and such..." I guess each is entitled to their opinion because its been the easiest car I have owned for those items.

Is this Don Davis? If so you might want to open a case with 1-800-NOGASEV. My service rep was very, very polite but didn't get up to speed until after I made that call.

Back