Tesla Supercharger Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GRA said:
On Wednesday, 6/22, Peru, IL on I-80 at I-39 west of Chicago commissioned, the first SC between Chicago and Council Bluffs
Iowa City area was recently permitted / announced.

Image: http://i.imgur.com/rvy2t2n.png
rvy2t2n.png

via: http://supercharge.info/

lorenfb said:
VW provides a 'gift' to other BEVs' need for a competitive SC network to Tesla's:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/398...34bc5de480ad5b4e6f05248290&uprof=44&dr=1#alt2

That would be nice, however I will wait until I see exactly what they are going to do.

From the article:
Volkswagen will be installing zero-emission vehicle fueling infrastructure (for both electric and hydrogen-powered cars), funding consumer awareness campaigns to increase the zero-emission vehicle market, and investing in projects such as car-sharing programs that will increase access to zero-emission vehicles for all consumers in California.

If they install 50 hydrogen stations, there goes 100 Million.
100 stations? 200 Million.

While this is great for the CA taxpayers, it doesn't do much for BEVs.
Consumer awareness campaigns? That could be done very effectively for not a lot of money. Or, it could be another money pit.
Investing in car-sharing programs and other similar projects??

This is the most promising comments I have seen about someone else building a charging infrastructure approaching Tesla's, which is good.
I wouldn't count any chickens until they hatch, or at least we hear more information about how the money will be allocated.

And since I'm here, the Minneapolis (Oakdale) SuperCharger started construction last week (wohoo)!

More unexpected locations not on Tesla's future map: US 101 along coastal Northern California and Oregon. Eureka CA, Crescent City CA, and Lincoln City OR are in permit stage. Seaside OR is under construction and expected to open soon.

The Seaside one is useful for me since my niece and her family live there and that Supercharger Station will make it easy to visit them from Portland.

dgpcolorado said:
More unexpected locations not on Tesla's future map: US 101 along coastal Northern California and Oregon. Eureka CA, Crescent City CA, and Lincoln City OR are in permit stage. Seaside OR is under construction and expected to open soon.

The Seaside one is useful for me since my niece and her family live there and that Supercharger Station will make it easy to visit them from Portland.
I read the post on TMC that claimed to have the inside scoop. Before anyone gets too excited, it should be noted that Crescent City has been in 'Permit' status at supercharge.info for 446 days now (the record), and Eureka for 218. That's the main reason I wish Blueshift would change the name from 'Permit' (as it may mean no such thing), or at least add a 'Potential' category and keep "Permit' status for those sites that have actually received them.

That being said, I expect the ones in Oregon will likely happen fairly soon.

End of June Summary. Tesla commissioned 15 U.S. SCs in June, which may be a monthly U.S. record (too lazy to check), raising the total to 281. In order of opening, they were: Miner, MO (6/1); Tonopah, NV, Southampton, NY and Erie, PA (6/3); Alexandria, LA (6/7); Lindale, TX (6/8); Idaho Falls, ID and Plattsburgh, NY (6/9); Augusta, GA (6/12); Bend, OR (6/17); Peru, IL (6/22); Egg Harbor Township, NJ (6/23); Bowling Green, KY and Watertown, NY (6/24); Sulphur Springs, TX (6/29).

There've been 33 commissioned YTD. Tesla would need to commission an average of 11.5/month for the rest of the year to equal last year's total of 102, and that's extremely unlikely. At the end of the month, there were 13 sites under construction, and 14 in 'Permit' status. A few of each type have been in that status for months, although Eureka (218 days 'permitted') was reported under construction as of 6/30.

1 SC commissioned in Canada, raising the total to 19: Magog, QC (6/22). There was also one site each in Construction and 'Permit' status.

The first SC in Mexico commissioned in Cuernavaca (6/22).

"More unexpected locations not on Tesla's future map: US 101 along coastal Northern California and Oregon. Eureka CA, Crescent City CA, and Lincoln City OR are in permit stage. Seaside OR is under construction and expected to open soon. "

Eureka, CA is now under construction. It should be done by the end of July. Crescent City is scheduled to begin construction next month with hopeful completion by the end of August (reported by construction workers at the Eureka site.)

Queensbury, NY on I-87 between Albany and Plattsburgh, NY opened Thursday (7/14), making the run between those two points easy for S60s in winter, as it shortens the longest leg from 153 to 106 miles. Seaside OR (7/1) and Catoosa, OK (7/15) also opened this month.

In Canada, St. Laurent, QC is open (7/15).

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-07-21/obama-offers-4-5-billion-to-add-electric-car-charge-stations

The administration aims to complete a national network of fast-charging stations by 2020 to make “coast-to-coast, nationwide zero-emissions travel” a reality.

I guess we're supposed to overlook the fact that private industry already did that a year ago for a fraction of the cost.

End of July summary: Only four U.S. SCs opened in July, at Seaside, OR (7/1); Napa, CA (7/11); Queensbury, NY (7/15); and Catoosa, OK (7/16), for 37 YTD and 285 total.

17 SCs U.S. were known to be under construction at the end of the month: Lincoln City, OR on U.S. 101; Crescent City (relinquishing its title of longest SC in permit status at somewhere over 470 days to Riviere du Loup, QC) and Eureka on U.S. 101, Folsom#2 on U.S. 50, Fremont #2 (long stalled) on I-880, and Buena Park, CA on I-5; Cisco and Sweetwater, TX on I-20; Oakdale. MN (a suburb of St. Paul); Coralville and W. Des Moines, IA on I-80; Rolla, MO on I-44; Monroe, LA on I-20; Port Huron MI on I-69; Laurel, MD on I-95; Lee, MA on I-90; Brewer ME (a suburb of Bangor) on I-95.

One SC opened in Canada, at St. Laurent, QC (7/15), a suburb of Montreal. Two SCs, at Parry Sound and Huntsville, ON were known to be under construction.

I think there are some going no behind the scene that spotters have not found. Workers at "Iowa City" SC pointed out to a Tesla owner that the Davenport, IA one is only a week or so behind "Iowa City" (which just needs to be tested by Tesla folks as all is done otherwise). So Davenport, IA just popped up and is almost done.

Via: http://supercharge.info/ Circle radius is set on 125 miles (ie. diameter of 250 miles).

Image: http://i.imgur.com/3iKg1Kc.png
3iKg1Kc.png

End of August summary. 8 U.S. SCs opened in August, making 45 YTD and 293 total: Folsom-Palladio, CA (8/13, boosting capacity on U.S. 50); Eureka, CA (8/17; expands U.S. 101 north); Oakdale, MN (8/17; expands I-94 NW, and provides access north to Hinckley via I-35, and Baxter); Port Huron, MI (8/18; connects I-69 east to Ontario); Lincoln City, OR (8/19; expands U.S. 101 south); Cisco and Sweetwater, TX (both 8/19; expands I-20 west from DFW area, accesses Lubbock and San Angelo); Lee, MA (8/20; infill on I-90, still not on Tesla's SC list or map, but reported used by multiple owners).

15 U.S. SCs were known to be under construction at the end of the month: Crescent City, Fremont #2, Bakersfield, Santa Ana, and Buena Park, CA; Three Rivers, TX; Coralville, W. Des Moines, and Davenport, IA; Rolla, MO; Monroe, LA; Meridian, MS; Bay City, MI; Laurel, MD; and Brewer, ME.

No Canadian SCs opened in August.

4 Canadian SCs were known to be under construction: Huntsville and Parry Sound, ON; Riviere du Loup, QC (surrendering the title of longest permitted at well over a year, only shortly after Crescent City passed it on); and Fort Macleod, AB.

scottf200 said:
I think there are some going no behind the scene that spotters have not found.
There's often a 'stealth' site or two that pops up, which is why I always state "known to be under construction" in my summary. It makes sense that Tesla wouldn't call attention to them, as they are a pleasant surprise and help to divert attention from routes they've 'officially' announced, when they fail to complete them on time (as it often the case).

Some significant U.S. SC openings, including one stealth site: Brewer, ME (9/2), which allows I-95 to be driven from the border of New Brunswick, Canada all the way to Florida; Crescent City, CA (open 9/8), which completes U.S. 101 in California, although the leg from Ukiah to Eureka is a bit long for S60s at 156 miles.

In addition, a stealth SC site at Page, AZ just popped up today, which can be reached from SCs in St. George, UT (156 miles), Flagstaff, AZ (133 miles), and with great care by S60s from Beaver (185 miles) and Blanding, UT (194 miles). Also, for reasons not known the Lee, MA SC remains off Tesla's SC map, list and nav. screen, despite it being used regularly since 8/20.

In Canada, Parry Sound, ON opened on 9/4, making possible trips between Ontario and Sudbury.

Page AZ is interesting. I've been mulling over a visit to the North Rim of Grand Canyon someday and that would help. It is doable now with a bit of L2 charging at RV parks but once the Kayenta Supercharger Station is built getting to Page from the east will be easy (and that's the direction I care about, of course).

I think that next year's trip will be to Yellowstone, now that West Yellowstone MT is done and Jackson WY is likely to be complete by next summer. That figures to be near ideal for a Tesla road trip. I haven't been there since 1989, the year after the big fire (I was interested in seeing the recovery by the plants).

Back