Tesla Supercharger Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a nice graph showing their progress.

attachment.php

What I wonder is how much of the increase in December/January was due to the need to finish an X-C route for Elon, how much to the expiration of the EVSE credits at the end of 2013, and how much to the learning curve.

BTW, ran the Barstow - Kingman route using http://www.jurassictest.ch/GR/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for both the S-60 and S-85, assuming five 75 kg. pax (Elon, five boys plus luggage, with the curb weights increased to 2025 and 2108 kg. per Tesla instead of the default values given) and no use of HVAC. The 85 can make it via I-40 if you keep the speed down to 65 or less, the 60 doesn't have a chance. If you take the side roads from Needles to cut off the big I-40 southbound loop, you can make it provided you drive 50 mph or less for the whole trip. Take it FWIW, but some posters at TMC have said that jurassictest is giving them useful results. There are several others, at least one designed by a Tesla owner, that are getting good reviews on TMC. They need another SC in Fenner or else Needles to make this leg feasible for 60s at freeway speeds.

Fun post from a father and daughter making, quite possibly, the first coast to coast supercharger trip.

http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/heading-cross-country" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zythryn said:
Fun post from a father and daughter making, quite possibly, the first coast to coast supercharger trip.

http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/heading-cross-country" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Great stuff! 508Wh/mile from Worthington MN to Mitchell SD at 65-70 mph and -3 F with the heater at 72 deg; 130 miles with 21 left after a range charge (257 miles). They're going to need a few more SCs in Minnesota and SD if 60s and Model Es are to be able to do this in winter.

GRA said:
Zythryn said:

Great stuff! 508Wh/mile from Worthington MN to Mitchell SD at 65-70 mph and -3 F with the heater at 72 deg; 130 miles with 21 left after a range charge (257 miles). They're going to need a few more SCs in Minnesota and SD if 60s and Model Es are to be able to do this in winter.

Undoubtedly, luckily they are planning more.
However, considering this was likely the worst day of the year for that drive, and they did it on the lower efficiency 21" tires, I'm pretty psyched about it:)

Zythryn said:
GRA said:
Zythryn said:

Undoubtedly, luckily they are planning more.
However, considering this was likely the worst day of the year for that drive, and they did it on the lower efficiency 21" tires, I'm pretty psyched about it:)
Yes, it's great data. I'm big fan of establishing performance in worst case conditions, cause then you can guarantee at least that much range (not counting battery degradation in this case). Much of the trip from the east coast involved pushing the car in absolutely awful weather, so lot's of valuable data is being provided by this trip. I wish we had more range data like this in various EV forums, instead of testing in ideal conditions and then providing correction factors. I believe the latter approach is more valuable for engineers, but worst case real-world is more valuable info for (potential) owners, especially those considering buying a day-in, day-out car.

GRA said:
BTW, ran the Barstow - Kingman route using http://www.jurassictest.ch/GR/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for both the S-60 and S-85, assuming five 75 kg. pax (Elon, five boys plus luggage, with the curb weights increased to 2025 and 2108 kg. per Tesla instead of the default values given) and no use of HVAC. The 85 can make it via I-40 if you keep the speed down to 65 or less, the 60 doesn't have a chance. If you take the side roads from Needles to cut off the big I-40 southbound loop, you can make it provided you drive 50 mph or less for the whole trip. Take it FWIW, but some posters at TMC have said that jurassictest is giving them useful results. There are several others, at least one designed by a Tesla owner, that are getting good reviews on TMC. They need another SC in Fenner or else Needles to make this leg feasible for 60s at freeway speeds.
Driving Barstow --> Las Vegas --> Kingman is a possibility that's been floated at TMC. It's longer, but easier in terms of SC spacing and not bad if you have a reason to stop in Vegas. (Work on a Las Vegas SC is underway.)

abasile said:
GRA said:
Driving Barstow --> Las Vegas --> Kingman is a possibility that's been floated at TMC. It's longer, but easier in terms of SC spacing and not bad if you have a reason to stop in Vegas. (Work on a Las Vegas SC is underway.)
Yes, 60s will need to make that detour, and that's why I listed Las Vegas in the nice-to-have category. It's really too close to LA to be a first night stop on a transcontinental trip. Even the run to Las Vegas will require some accomodation by 60 owners, as per jurassictest they can't make it at the speed limit if there's any headwind, and it's cutting it very fine even without one.

On another note, Hagerstown, MD is now listed and mapped, so 71. Cranberry Township and Las Vegas are the only ones left to shorten the biggest remaining gaps. Alternatively, once Buckeye and Indio (Cabazon?) are operational, you could jog south from either Flagstaff or Kingman and then head west on I-10, o even cut down to I-8 through Casa Grande, Yuma and El Centro. Why not, the current LA-NY route is almost 700 miles longer than the most direct one, so what's another 100 miles?

apvbguy said:
I agree that having the SC network is great marketing but maybe you haven't noticed, compared to the I95/I75 corridors or even the I10 corridor east of Houston TX, there are no people or Teslas these far flung SC can be servicing. I'd love to see the 6 month usage stats for these remote locations
I think you mean the 1-10 corridor west of Houston.

That SC station is in BFE -- Columbus, TX with a population of 3,600. However, it is sort of midway between San Antonio (1.3 million pop - 7th largest city in the US), Austin (880k pop - 11th largest city in the US) & Houston (2.1 million pop - 4th largest city in the US). I think that the point of this location -- in the middle of nowhere but allowing users to travel between major metro areas.

When I stopped by the Columbus, TX station on a random Friday afternoon last fall, there were two Model S, charging away under 100 year old oaks. And like you pointed out, this is in the middle of rural TX.

Attachments

• IMG_0394.jpg
    IMG_0394.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 173
  • vfiles20068.jpg
    vfiles20068.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 173
For those who haven't been following along, the father-daughter team driving a Tesla P85 X-C from JFK to Hawthorne using only superchargers arrived safely yesterday at 5:35 p.m. PST, after leaving JFK Monday, Jan. 20th at 9:45 a.m. EST. Full details can be found in the link Zythryn posted a page or two back, or you can read the summary story at:

http://insideevs.com/first-ever-supercharged-tesla-model-s-coast-to-coast-road-trip-is-complete/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Supercharger cords are only about 3 feet long because of the 120kW power flow at the beginning of the charge cycle...

So wherever they are located, you have to put the rear drivers side of the car right next to it...

Randy said:
Supercharger cords are only about 3 feet long because of the 120kW power flow at the beginning of the charge cycle...

So wherever they are located, you have to put the rear drivers side of the car right next to it...
Right. Some of the SCs have the pedestals located so that you can park nose in, and that's going to be a problem for the ones in snow country because it makes plowing difficult, and the pedestals can easily be damaged by the plow or careless drivers. It's also more expensive, as you have to trench to and then cover a route to each individual pedestal instead of just having one lateral trench connecting them all.

Photo of the 'Standing O' given to John Glenney at Tesla's Fremont Factory by the employees, after completing the first coast-to-coast run using only superchargers (unfortunately his daughter and co-driver Jill wasn't there, as she'd had to fly back to New Jersey to make her work shift):

http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/heading-cross-country?page=18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thought I'd present a total of SC stalls at this point and update as necessary, 'cause it's getting way too tedious to type them all in repeatedly. The states are listed in the order they appear on the official web page, alphabetically but divided roughly west of the Mississippi first, then east. I've only included those which appear on the web page, leaving off some that are known to be open but not yet listed.

Tesla Supercharger # of states/locations/stalls as of 1/28/2014: 27/71/462

Arizona
Flagstaff 4
Holbrook 4
Kingman 6
Quartzsite 8
Total: 4/22

California
Atascadero 8
Barstow 4
Buellton 8
Corning 6
Folsom 4
Fremont 8
Gilroy 10
Harris Rch. 7
Hawthorne 6
Mt. Shasta 4
Tejon Rch. 6
Vacaville 8
Total: 12/79

Colorado
Glenwood Springs 6
Grand Junction 6
Silverthorne 8
Total: 3/20

New Mexico
Farmington 4
Gallup 4
Total: 2/8

Oregon
Detroit Lake 6
Grant's Pass 4
Springfield 8
Woodburn 8
Total: 4/26

South Dakota
Mitchell 6
Murdo 4
Rapid City 4
Total: 3/14

Utah
Blanding 4
Moab 4

Washington
Burlington 8
Centralia 10
Ellensburg 5
Total: 3/23

Wyoming
Cheyenne 4
Lusk 4

Connecticut
Darien N/S 8
Milford N/S 4
Total: 2/12

Delaware
Newark 4
Total: 1/4

Florida
Fort Myers 8
Port Orange 6
Port St. Lucie 8
St. Augustine 6
Total: 4/28

Georgia
Savannah 6
Total: 1/6

Illinois
Highland Park 4
Normal 4
Rockford 6

Indiana
Angola 6
Mishawaka 6

Maryland
Hagerstown 6

Michigan
St. Joseph 8
Total: 1/8

Minnesota
Albert Lea 4
Worthington 6
Total: 2/10

North Carolina
Burlington 8
Lumberton 4
Rocky Mount 8

New York
JFK Int. 4
Syosset 4

Ohio
Macedonia 6
Maumee 6

Pennsylvania
Somerset 6

Rhode Island
East Greenwich 8

South Carolina
Santee 6

Texas
Columbus 6
Corsicana 6
Huntsville 6
San Marcos 5
Waco 8
Total: 5/31

Virginia
Glen Allen 8

Wisconsin
La Crosse 6
Madison 3
Mauston 6
Total: 3/15

Edit: Per the 'Tesla Supercharger Confirmed' topic in the TMC forum as well as photos, corrected # of stalls at Hawthorne from 4 (as shown on Tesla's SC page) to 6, and also updated the Ca. and absolute totals from 12/77 to 12/79, and from 460 to 462.

GRA said:
Thought I'd present a total of SC stalls at this point and update as necessary, 'cause it's getting way too tedious to type them all in repeatedly. The states are listed in the order they appear on the official web page, alphabetically but divided roughly west of the Mississippi first, then east. I've only included those which appear on the web page, leaving off some that are known to be open but not yet listed.

Tesla Supercharger # of states/locations/stalls as of 1/30/2014: 27/73/470

Arizona
Flagstaff 4
Holbrook 4
Kingman 6
Quartzsite 8
Total: 4/22

California
Atascadero 8
Barstow 4
Buellton 8
Corning 6
Folsom 4
Fremont 8
Gilroy 10
Harris Rch. 7
Hawthorne 6
Mt. Shasta 4
Tejon Rch. 6
Vacaville 8
Total: 12/79

Colorado
Glenwood Springs 6
Grand Junction 6
Silverthorne 8

New Mexico
Farmington 4
Gallup 4

Oregon
Detroit Lake 6
Grant's Pass 4
Springfield 8
Woodburn 8
Total: 4/26

South Dakota
Mitchell 6
Murdo 4
Rapid City 4

Utah
Blanding 4
Moab 4

Washington
Burlington 8
Centralia 10
Ellensburg 5
Total: 3/23

Wyoming
Cheyenne 4
Lusk 4

Connecticut
Darien N/S 8
Milford N/S 4

Delaware
Newark 4
Total: 1/4

Florida
Fort Myers 8
Port Orange 6
Port St. Lucie 8
St. Augustine 6
Total: 4/28

Georgia
Savannah 6

Illinois
Highland Park 4
Normal 4
Rockford 6

Indiana
Angola 6
Mishawaka 6

Maryland
Bethesda 2
Hagerstown 6

Michigan
St. Joseph 8

Minnesota
Albert Lea 4
Worthington 6
Total: 2/10

North Carolina
Burlington 8
Lumberton 4
Rocky Mount 8

New York
JFK Int. 4
Syosset 4

Ohio
Macedonia 6
Maumee 6

Pennsylvania
Somerset 6

Rhode Island
East Greenwich 8

South Carolina
Santee 6

Texas
Columbus 6
Corsicana 6
Huntsville 6
San Marcos 5
Waco 8
Total: 5/31

Virginia
Glen Allen 8

Wisconsin
Eau Claire 6
La Crosse 6
Madison 3
Mauston 6
Total: 3/15

Edit: Per the 'Tesla Supercharger Confirmed' topic in the TMC forum as well as photos, corrected # of stalls at Hawthorne from 4 (as shown on Tesla's SC page) to 6, and also updated the Ca. and absolute totals from 12/77 to 12/79, and from 460 to 462.
Eau Claire, WI, with 6 stalls, and the temp site at Bethesda, MD, with 2 are now listed, so trips between Chicago-Twin Cities and Glen Allen-Newark are now doable in winter by S-60s.

Wanted to put this here, rather than in the main Tesla topic.

Tesla U.S. sales map: http://insideevs.com/theres-now-at-least-one-tesla-model-s-registered-in-all-50-us-states/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back