So, owners what range are you getting ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found you can manage 5 miles per kW/h at 55, with good inflation, moderate temperatures (60-80F), nearly no wind, and no significant AC/Heat. I find it helps if I let me speed drift down on uphills, keeping it to only 2 power circles. You get the speed back over time, or down hills.

Interesting. I average in warm temps 5 to 5.2 m/kwh but not at 55. 45 to 50mph.

I notice a big jump in power consumption at right around 50 to 52mph

with a new battery, 5 miles per kwh is close to the 100 mile range Nissan used to tout. hard to get, but possible at 45 MPH on a really warm day, with a slight downgrade.

Have just joined the forum. Our Leaf is 2 1/2 years old. As you all know the range has always been pretty unpredictable, but in the last month or two it's been getting pretty predictable - and not in a good way. Today, for example, 40 degrees outside, have gotten almost exactly 3 miles/bar. Down to the last two bars with less than 30 miles driven - all around town driving, no freeways. Have routinely been getting getting 2-3 miles per bar for a while, but haven't actually lost any bars on the scale. Did drive it to "Empty" a couple of times a couple of weeks ago - 45 and 52 miles respectively. Have never actually "turtled" it, I guess I should try that.

Mark

I used to reliably get a little better than 6 miles per bar. With almost 30K on my 24 month old leaf I get about 5 when averaging the first 10 bars. My battery also is still at 12 bars and its second battery check resulted in 5 stars in all categories. I usually charge to 80% but now often "top off" before departing if in need the range.

I now have a 60 mile EV

billg said:
mtrexler said:
Have routinely been getting getting 2-3 miles per bar for a while, but haven't actually lost any bars on the scale.
Mark
Are you sure you haven't lost any bars? The capacity bars are the short ones to the right of the long bars.
Look at this post that shows three bars lost.

Bill, no - we start each day with all 12 bars. And what I might have thought is that as the battery loses capacity, we would see fewer miles for those top bars, perhaps before losing them entirely. But today for example, we lost a bar every 2.5 to 3.5 miles almost like clock-work.

Mark

mtrexler said:
billg said:
mtrexler said:
Have routinely been getting getting 2-3 miles per bar for a while, but haven't actually lost any bars on the scale.
Mark
Are you sure you haven't lost any bars? The capacity bars are the short ones to the right of the long bars.
Look at this post that shows three bars lost.

Bill, no - we start each day with all 12 bars. And what I might have thought is that as the battery loses capacity, we would see fewer miles for those top bars, perhaps before losing them entirely. But today for example, we lost a bar every 2.5 to 3.5 miles almost like clock-work.

Mark
Mark,

Look carefully at that picture. You won't lose any capacity bars as you drive. They are the short bars to the right of the long bars, and the bottom two capacity bars are red.

BillG, thanks. You stare at something every day and then try and remember exactly what is what. You are of course right. There are 12 capacity bars - pretty sure that's all there have ever been (true?). It's the next bar over that disappears at the rate of a bar per 3 miles - the capacity bars never change.

Mark

mtrexler said:
BillG, thanks. You stare at something every day and then try and remember exactly what is what. You are of course right. There are 12 capacity bars - pretty sure that's all there have ever been (true?). It's the next bar over that disappears at the rate of a bar per 3 miles - the capacity bars never change.

Mark

What does the miles/kw average say? Reset it and see what you are getting now.

if you really still have 12 capacity bars, you must have 86% of the original capacity.

Are you charging to 80% or100% and the getting 30 miles to Low Battery Warning or Very Low Battery Warning?

Sorta sounds like parking outside, doing short trips reheating the car each time. Yes?

Yogi62 said:
mtrexler said:

Mark
If you truly still have 12 capacity bars, you should be seeing a range of at least 70-80 miles, which would mean at least 6 miles per "big" bar. If you are only seeing half that, something doesn't add up.

Its partly the temps below 40' i get 70 miles to a charge 30' i get 62 or so at 20' 56 or 58 miles.

70' i can get 90 miles plus.

No heat. No climate control. Just ordered some fleece lined leggings and undershirt in case it gets really cold around here.

Today- 40 degrees outside temp. Car heat set at 68.
12 capacity bars. Typical house recharge - probably 80%
Hit "empty" at 37 miles. Turtled at 42 miles
Day consisted of 14, 3, 10, 3, 1, 11 mile trips. Parked outside.

mtrexler said:

Neglected to mention our long term energy economy has been 3.3 miles/kWh. Reset it today, last 10 miles 2.6.

Well there is part of your problem. 6 times you booted the heater from ambient. Tons of power.

If i preheat the car on umbilical power i can go the 53 miles to work with heat at 76 to 78 at 46-48mph and still have 2kwh remaing (4 or 5 miles)

If i stopped and chilled the car 6 times no way could i make that trip.

The heater is the source of your low range sadly.

mtrexler said:

On the 2013 Eco mode limits the heater to 3KW. Does it do that on your car?

on a 80F days my longest commute on a single charge was 99.5 miles (9954 miles) and I had 12% left or 13 miles left , In retrospect I should have made the extra 0.5 mile and join the "100 mile club" but it is such common think for us that I didn't think it was anything special.

On a full charge with heater set at 70F I have no problems getting 75 miles out of the full charge. I have almost 14K miles on mine.

As of December 7, 2014 my average is 43 miles/kWh over 11,994.6 miles. I live in Chicago and we had a really long and cold winters.

Managed to squeeze 55miles yesterday before getting the three dashes on the range estimator

- 2011 leaf SL
70k kms odo
-81.99% battery capacity (11bars) reported on leaf stat
-50% HWY at 110 km/h
- dozens of manual defrosting for windshield no longer than 10sec each
- AC on for 1/3
- 5degrees celcius outside (North west coast weather)
- mostly flat

I think thats a little above the norm ?

So I have only been driving my Leaf locally so I know I don't have to worry about range. It was suggested to get the Leaf Spy program so I went and got the Leaf Spy lite and one of those ELM 327 devices to talk to the car and the program. My first one came and it did not work. It was one with the 2.1 version. I found a place that gave some more in-depth information and it says not to use the one with version 2.1. So I go and purchase another that says it has version 1.5 which is known to work just fine. I am using a new Galaxy 5S with the Leaf Spy Lite. The one with the version 1.5 did not work but what happened is the program says it has version 2.1. So Now Im pissed. I just want to do this simply and easy. If there are tools then there should be NO issue finding the correct ones but when we have to wade through a bunch of garbage and have to buy stuff we can't use then the whole system just plain sucks. So all you guys with working systems you really should give links to the exact items that DO work so others that follow don't have to do the same stuff others have had to go through. If I find the exact stuff that works then I will post that. I was hoping to not have to go through this. The program and devices have been around plenty long enough so no one needs to fumble through this mire.

My Leaf has crappy range and I did not buy a nice vehicle with heat and air just to keep them off so I can drive the car. If I wanted a car without heat or air I would have purchased an old VW Bus.

Any one with a Galaxy 5s with a working setup with the Leaf Spy?

Pete :)

My car is ready for its 48 month check up. I want to be armed with MY information before taking it into the dealer. The dealer is 45 miles away. Think I will make it? I don't. I hope I have to call for a tow. I'll post the results.

Back