So, owners what range are you getting ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For my commute to work, I travel a little over 15 miles, and I see 7-9 m per KWH on the way there, but I lose about 1000' in elevation, which is why I am in the 80% club. If I charge to full I get closer to 5mkwh (Since I don't get the regen). The retun trip is usually at high speeds - carpool lane and 70+ MPH, and I still get over 3 Mkwh, according to the center console data.

Danny said:
I'm not really sure how you are all getting such high miles/kWh. I take my numbers straight from the electric meter, so I suppose it's possible that after actually charging, the car might have actually stored a little less than that. Being in the denominator, that could raise the value a little. I seem to be averaging about 3.5 miles/kWh, sometime a little more, and sometimes a little less, but that's a good average. I travel just under 65 mph most of the time on mostly freeways. There are hills involved, so that might take some of the punch out of it, but that really seems different from everyone else. My dashboard shows 4.2 miles/kWh
About 3.5 mi / kWh from the wall and 4.2 mi / kWh on the dash sounds about right for highway driving at a bit less than 65 mph mixed in with some surface street driving.

My wall vs dash reading is the same ratio (about 83%) and at 65 mph on the highway will typically get about 4.0 mi / kWh with some AC usage.

I drove my same normal drive to and from work on a weekend and was able to be very conservative without traffic pressing me (60mph mostly. Also very few dots showing on the dashboard). I'm already forgetting, but I think it was over 5 mi/kWh going and about 4.5 on the way back. I guess it is possible after all.

I did discover something that I found interesting recently though. The circle that surrounds the tree seems to be fixed at just about half way when I have it in cruise control. I took the cruise control off and tried to do the same thing manually, and it stayed more into the 60-70% range. Of course, there was a lot more variability, but it seemed like I was driving it more economically manually than with the cruise control. Anybody else want to weigh in?

Danny said:
I did discover something that I found interesting recently though. The circle that surrounds the tree seems to be fixed at just about half way when I have it in cruise control. I took the cruise control off and tried to do the same thing manually, and it stayed more into the 60-70% range. Of course, there was a lot more variability, but it seemed like I was driving it more economically manually than with the cruise control. Anybody else want to weigh in?

Did you use ECO when you were using CC? I always use ECO and CC 45mph or below with the neutral bubble. I have used it a couple times on the freeway at 65-74 but didn't notice the trees. On city streets or on the freeway, it's much easier and more relaxing for me to use CC and I always achieve high m/kW h numbers. Like today, I drove a 22 mile city RT and hit 6.5 (no A/C) on the dash.

cw-1.jpg

Am I good or what? :lol:

So, after 1 year of test, and 43 pages, is it possible to do a rundown of the range?

Can owners specify the average range they obtained?

An 80% charge brings me to the "low battery warning" in 46 miles. That is driving surface streets with a top speed of 54, coming to a stop every 2 miles on average, in "D" (not "eco"), very careful not to engage friction brakes (brake early/slowly), but do accellerate faster than most cars around me (not pegged, but I do like to pull away from the pack).

navidad said:
So, after 1 year of test, and 43 pages, is it possible to do a rundown of the range?

The "average" range would not be very useful to you to determine what you might get if your conditions are different than what is average.

I would imagine that average is probably about 3.5 miles/kWh, since that's about what I get if I drive it like any other car. To calculate range, simply multiply that number by 21 for a 100% charge, and you get 73.5 miles... pretty much what the EPA rates the car for range.

My average is about 4 miles/kWh.

Check out this chart and you'll get an idea of how many things affect range.

TickTock said:
An 80% charge brings me to the "low battery warning" in 46 miles.

That should be about 3.4 miles/kWh average on your dash. Very much in line with the EPA specified range.

Which means that you could go about 57 miles @ 80% (3.4*17) or 71 miles @ 100% (3.4*21).

Hello All,
Our Sept numbers are in:

Carwings = 5.59 m/kWh
Dash = 4.3 m/kWh
Actual = 3.84 m/kWh
Wall to wheels = 3.49 m/kWh

I guess I'm pretty average (that's what the wife tells me ;) ). My regional standing is 1400th or some such number.

Also I got this nice card from my dealer offering a "deal" on a 3750 mile service and oil change. :lol:

TonyWilliams said:
TickTock said:
An 80% charge brings me to the "low battery warning" in 46 miles.

That should be about 3.4 miles/kWh average on your dash. Very much in line with the EPA specified range.

Which means that you could go about 57 miles @ 80% (3.4*17) or 71 miles @ 100% (3.4*21).

Actually, I've been logging this (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An7gtcYL2Oy0dHNwVmRkNkFnaEVOQTVENW5mOTZlb0E&hl=en_US) and I get 4.1-5.6 efficiency on the dash for my 47 mile round trip commute. I have been following this thread because the math says I only have ~10kwh useful battery capacity and am wondering if I have a bad battery or is the dash efficiency number crap (CarWings says I have 5.6 m/kwh average and ranks me 1192).

TickTock said:
Actually, I've been logging this (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An7gtcYL2Oy0dHNwVmRkNkFnaEVOQTVENW5mOTZlb0E&hl=en_US) and I get 4.1-5.6 efficiency on the dash for my 47 mile round trip commute. I have been following this thread because the math says I only have ~10kwh usefull battery capacity and am wondering if I have a bad battery or is the dash efficiency number crap (CarWings says I have 5.6 m/kwh average and ranks me 1192).

First, we don't care about CarWings. That's mindless (wrong) info, unless you have the latest Technical Service Bulletin complied with.

I just want to confirm that you drive 47 miles, and actually get Low Battery Warning?

That you reset your dash efficiency gauge before doing this, and end up with 4.1 - 5.6 on the dash?

Yes, I always reset the efficiency meter and the average mph every time I start the vehicle. I reset the trip meter every time I charge. And yes - when I charged to 80% I always got the warning within 1 mile from home (at ~ mile 46). I haven't been doing that recently, though. I set one of the climate control timers to come on 30 minutes before I leave in the morning so I am now starting out with ~90% charge to avoid the warning message. All the data in the speadsheet is with this ~90% starting charge (I started logging because I was suspicious something was wrong for 80% not to cover it).

navidad said:

Yep.

Over two months of ownership I now know my Miles/kWh so can estimate my driving range fairly accurately

80% charge will get me 58 Miles
100% charge will get me 69 Miles.

I can beat these numbers significantly if I 'drive carefully' which aparently I seldom do :)

I calculated the range in spreadsheet based on actual kWh consumed and miles driven. In my calculations I assume I have access to 22kWh of the 24 kWh the battery is rated for and that I will only go down to the low battery warning. If you don't agree with he assumptions. feel free to adjust accordingly.

You can read more on my blog and download the spreadsheet at
http://jpwhitenissanleaf.com/2011/09/05/on-track-to-save-10000-in-fuel/

Back