So, owners what range are you getting ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TickTock said:
I did this last Sunday. Charged to 100% in the morning and left it plugged in all day and night until I left for work Monday. No change to the charge level on Tuesday morning.
Bummer.

TickTock said:
drees said:
Started w/80% charge, drove 47 miles, dash read 4.3 mi / kWh, GOM read 13 miles and 2 bars remaining (obviously deeper into the 2nd bar than yesterday). Considering that I drove 42 miles, 4.3 mi / kWh and got home with 19 GOM miles, at least the GOM is consistent. :) I expect the Blink to report 12.3 kWh tomorrow morning.
This seems not too far from my results. What did the GOM say as you set off?
Not sure - I usually don't pay too much attention, but this morning it said 70 mi which is in the right ballpark.

Today had a bigger discrepancy in the GOM: Drove 23 miles, got home with 4.1 mi/kWh, 5 bars and 34 miles on the GOM. I know for sure coming home used a lot more energy because of rain and defroster use - the dash read 4.4 mi/kWh before heading home and I usually lose 0.1-0.2 mi / kWh the last 3-4 miles home. But who knows, maybe I have low Gids syndrome, too - have always felt my range seems a bit short compared to others.

Mainly highway. We've had ours since May and we drive it 37 miles to work each day. After 74 miles round trip, we have 5-10 miles left when it pulls in the garage. We'll see how it does this winter.

scottysize said:
Mainly highway. We've had ours since May and we drive it 37 miles to work each day. After 74 miles round trip, we have 5-10 miles left when it pulls in the garage. We'll see how it does this winter.
100% charge, I presume?

My range experience yesterday:

Drove from Encinitas to Coronado and back - 65 miles. Cruise control set mostly to 65 mph with slight variations due to traffic, ECO mode all the way.

Got there w/7 bars remaining and the GOM guestimating something crazy like close to 60 miles remaining - probably due to the descent down the bridge and a few miles of 25 mph Coronado streets. Dash read 4.4 mi / kWh at that point. No A/C.

On the way home, had the A/C on but draw was minimal - probably 300W or so. There was a bit of wind that I noticed. Got home with 4.1 mi / kWh, 1 bar remaining and 9 miles on the GOM.

Charged back up to 100% last night to see how much power the Blink would report putting back in which came out to 18.74 kWh.

With 1 bar remaining I should have at least 16% more battery left - possibly up to 26%, but actual was probably somewhere in the middle - wasn't paying too much attention to when I lost the 2nd bar, so this probably means I would be able to put in about 22 kWh from turtle - a couple kWh short of what most others report - also seems to indicate that my 100% charge only gets me about 19 kWh usable - need to verify with a Gid-meter... Have always felt my range to be a bit short of what others are reporting, though nothing like what TickTock reports.

Interestingly today I noticed I seemed to have less regen than yesterday - perhaps the battery might have been a little bit fuller than yesterday? The Blink didn't report any additional top-off events on the website after either 100% charge, but don't know if it ever does?

I charged to 80% last night. I was be as able to drive 87 miles today with an average of 5.9 kwh. But, 17 times 5.9 makes 100.3 miles. Do you think my battery has started degradation? I drove mostly 38mph on flat roads.

erdalc said:
I charged to 80% last night. I was be as able to drive 87 miles today with an average of 5.9 kwh. But, 17 times 5.9 makes 100.3 miles. Do you think my battery has started degradation? I drove mostly 38mph on flat roads.

To answer the question, we need more information. Were you in turtle mode at 87 miles?

Congratulations on your 5.9m/kWh !!!! Please confirm this number isn't coming from CarWings or the center console, but instead from the driver's dash data. Also, confirm that you had reset the "m/kWh" meter when you started your 87 mile drive.

And, finally, the most logical question as we approach winter in the northern hemisphere; what was the outside temperature, and what settings did you have the climate control on?

TonyWilliams said:
Please confirm this number isn't coming from CarWings or the center console, but instead from the driver's dash data. Also, confirm that you had reset the "m/kWh" meter when you started your 87 mile drive. ...
What's wrong with the center console? I think it's more accurate than the dash because the dash truncates the reading at 8.0.

davewill said:
TonyWilliams said:
Please confirm this number isn't coming from CarWings or the center console, but instead from the driver's dash data. Also, confirm that you had reset the "m/kWh" meter when you started your 87 mile drive. ...
What's wrong with the center console? I think it's more accurate than the dash because the dash truncates the reading at 8.0.

Well, there's nothing wrong with either, except that they are 0.1 off (not that big for purpose of range calculations).

We're not talking about anything even close to 8.0.

It's been warm again the past two days or so (mid 70's) and once again, I hit 6.8m/kW h on the dash (8 mile trip)! I could barely crack 6.0 when it was in the 50's and low 60's. I also had over 80% on my SOC gauge after an 80% charge which I contribute to my QCs. I went 5 miles on the tenth bar (usually just a couple)! Neither a cold garage or warm garage ever gave me an actual 80%/ten bars before I started QCing. Contrary to what some people have said, unless they can give me a better explanation, it's the QCs that are balancing my cells and giving me more miles on an L2 80% charge. I never use any HVAC (this time of year), windows open, 40mph.

erdalc said:

IF your ambient temps were a little cool, that sounds good and I don't think you would have any degradation. When I drove (hypermiled) with warm ambient temps at 38mph, I would get around 6.5-6.8, but with the cooler, denser air, that drops to 5.8-6.0. So far for NOV, I'm averaging 6.1 on the dash and that's because of the cooler weather we had been having.

LEAFfan said:
Contrary to what some people have said, unless they can give me a better explanation, it's the QCs that are balancing my cells and giving me more miles on an L2 80% charge. I never use any HVAC (this time of year), windows open, 40mph.

Well, the actual quick DC charger isn't doing anything to the cells; it's supplying the requested voltage and amperage that the car has requested (every 100ms, per Phil/Ingineer).

I suspect that any other feature of the DC charger is largely a safety feature. Perhaps, there is a protocol to balance the cells after a DCQC from the Battery Management System, but I would guess that maybe the cells become more quickly unbalanced during a quick charge, and meet the tolerance of a balance?

By the way, the AeroVironment EV-60 that we used this weekend does not have all the bugs out of it!! Both days, there were issues with charging some of the cars. The display is the cheapest junk they could find, and you can't read it in sunlight, or even in shadows with the teeny tiny font. Horrific design.

Hopefully, the market will right itself, and Nissan will push the quality up, and the prices down to match Nissan at $10k. The EV-60 (435 max voltage x 125 max amps) charger from AV costs about $50k, according to the rep at the show.

Tony

5.9kwh is from central console and I reset it in the morning. Outside temperature was 72 degrees. When I pulled in my garage it was showing LBW and 4 miles of range left. But, when I turned the vehicle off and on It showed 3 dashes only. I was not in turtle mode.

TonyWilliams said:
Hopefully, the market will right itself, and Nissan will push the quality up, and the prices down to match Nissan at $10k. The EV-60 (435 max voltage x 125 max amps) charger from AV costs about $50k, according to the rep at the show.

I don't think 435V max is correct ? CHAdeMO specs say 500V required max, if they stop at 435V they will not be able to charge all cars, like the Model S with a CHAdeMO adapter (450V battery voltage). Probably they can do 500V but with reduced ampearge (~109A).

jkirkebo said:
TonyWilliams said:

I don't think 435V max is correct ? CHAdeMO specs say 500V required max, if they stop at 435V they will not be able to charge all cars, like the Model S with a CHAdeMO adapter (450V battery voltage). Probably they can do 500V but with reduced ampearge (~109A).

I just read it off the machine's display.... 435v/125a. Plenty for a LEAF.

erdalc said:
Tony

5.9kwh is from central console and I reset it in the morning. Outside temperature was 72 degrees. When I pulled in my garage it was showing LBW and 4 miles of range left. But, when I turned the vehicle off and on It showed 3 dashes only. I was not in turtle mode.

Ok, so 5.9m/kWh is good for about 100 miles at 80%, assuming your battery cells are balanced. When was the last time you charged to 100% ?

If you just hit VLB, then you probably had about 7 miles remaining, on top of the 87 you drove, so 94 miles total (of theoretical 100 miles). Did your trip start and end at the same elevation? (like your house both times?)

I suspect that the problem, if any, is simply a cell balancing issue that should right itself after a 100% top off and allowing enough time after the charge for the complete cell balancing to finish.

TonyWilliams said:

According to the QC techs at ECOtality, 410V is the max that the LEAF will take and that's only at the beginning of the charge. Their Blink QC can go up to 500V or more.

I charged to 80% again last night. I made 3 trips of total 87 miles. When I came home central console was shwing 6mpk. Yes, I reseted in the morning. The leaf had LBW at 12 miles left and was showing 6 miles remaining when I got home. I charged it to 100% last time last week. I have no knowledge about balancing. CC was off all the time. No radio as well. Temperature was about 79 degrees. I am in Houston, Tx, so elevation is same mostly. My average speed was 38 again. At the very beginning, GOM was showing 124 miles and I drove in ECO mode only.

erdalc said:
The leaf had LBW at 12 miles left and was showing 6 miles remaining when I got home. I charged it to 100% last time last week......At the very beginning, GOM was showing 124 miles and I drove in ECO mode only.

Ok, the first ssue that I see to making a rational determination is not using the GOM. The range data 17 factor for 80% charge has no correlation with the GOM. There is nothing we can calculate from the GOM data.

Also, average speed doesn't factor in, either. I can drive an average speed of 30mph by accelerating a max rate to 60mph, then heavy braking to 0mph, then repeat until the battery is dead. I assure you that the result will be nothing like driving 25mph to 35mph, and averaging 30mph.

Even the fuel bars are a bit fuzzy. 12 bars will show up at 281 Gid (full capacity battery) or, presumably, at 140 Gid with a half capacity battery. Only the two battery warnings, Battery Low and Very Low are indexed solidly to the capacity of the battery and are, therefore, excellent indicators of how many miles are left with a displayed specific mile/kWh.

So, it sounds like you drove 6 miles into VLB, and if that's the case, you were VERY close to turtle. But, even that's hard to tell, because you're basing it on the GOM data, and not raw data from the odometer.

Not sure what to tell you; there are two many unknowns and variables to make a rational guess. I'd be happy to post my guesses from data derived from the odometer and console m/kWh data, the fuel bars and the battery warnings. No GOM data, or CarWings.

LEAFfan said:
TonyWilliams said:

According to the QC techs at ECOtality, 410V is the max that the LEAF will take and that's only at the beginning of the charge. Their Blink QC can go up to 500V or more.

In the half dozen QC's that I witnessed this weekend (2 of which were mine), I never saw the AV unit go above 394 volts. Amps weren't above 90. But, none of the cars started from 0%, which might take more voltage and/or amps.

Back