So long, and thanks!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CRLeafSL said:
Yeah in my dreams. Tesla is just too expensive. I won't be looking at Tesla till they bring out the Model 3 and then it will still probably have to be a basic no option car for me to afford one. Until they can get these electric cars that are actually useable unlike the Leaf down to a realistic dollar amount, I will not be in one.
Even the Model 3 wouldn't come close to meeting your requirements:
CRLeafSL said:
...* My next EV will have to get at least 200 miles of range traveling 70 miles per hour and having climate control on. Anything less then this is ABSOLUTELY not acceptable. EV's should have capabilities of city to city travel, not just in town use only. Way to expensive for that...
Even the Model S wouldn't likely be able to go 200 miles in cold winter temperatures at 70 mph with CC on.

Perhaps someday an EV will meet your needs but I expect that it will not be until the 2020s at least. In the meantime you can just drive an ICE car.

Interesting. I have always thought of TMS as being a SUMMER requirement thing. not a winter thing.

would the TMS actually make a difference in the winter? (I honestly have no idea)

I guess it kind of makes sense now it is not a COOLING system it is a temperature management system which can work both ways.

never thought of it for cold assistance.

if you want 200mile range ALL the time then even a tesla (I know you did not specifically bring tesla into it) would not do it.

70mph in the winter with the heat on would probably bring its range below 200 miles as well.

my needs are a little different. what I want is 75miles drop dead range.

that means put 100,000 miles on the car at least 5 years old 0'f outside at night with the heat on. I want 75miles.

a 200mile range ideal condition EV even with or without TMS would do that for me. even a 150mile range EV might do that (I could live with 65 miles drop dead if it was a REALLY solid number ie worst case number)

Should I buy/lease a 2015 Leaf with a lizard battery? Is it ok to park in the sun, in the hot Texas summer? Or would that cause battery degradation if the battery is mostly charged? What about 80% charged? I'm considering a Leaf, or a Volt, or a gasoline Prius ... but unfortunately, I live in Texas, and I'm worried about battery reliability since I park my car at work in the hot Texas sun....

BernieTx said:
Should I buy/lease a 2015 Leaf with a lizard battery? Is it ok to park in the sun, in the hot Texas summer? Or would that cause battery degradation if the battery is mostly charged? What about 80% charged?.
Tricky still at this stage..

It appears, based on what people have been reporting, that the Lizard battery is holding up better.
But, there hasn't really been enough time to know if that will be maintained...
So there is still some risk at this time (which is why a lot of people are going the lease route...

As for the 80%, 100% doesn't appear to be a problem (unless you leave it at 100% for an extended period of time (days).

desiv

nerys said:
Interesting. I have always thought of TMS as being a SUMMER requirement thing. not a winter thing.

would the TMS actually make a difference in the winter? (I honestly have no idea)

I guess it kind of makes sense now it is not a COOLING system it is a temperature management system which can work both ways.

never thought of it for cold assistance.

if you want 200mile range ALL the time then even a tesla (I know you did not specifically bring tesla into it) would not do it.

70mph in the winter with the heat on would probably bring its range below 200 miles as well.

my needs are a little different. what I want is 75miles drop dead range.

that means put 100,000 miles on the car at least 5 years old 0'f outside at night with the heat on. I want 75miles.

a 200mile range ideal condition EV even with or without TMS would do that for me. even a 150mile range EV might do that (I could live with 65 miles drop dead if it was a REALLY solid number ie worst case number)

It does indeed.

Go look at Tesla motor club--there's a thread somewhere there with cold weather temp ranges. People have completed 170 mile trips in 10 degree weather on the highway. It generally affects short trips much more than long trips, but once that TMS system is in full gear you can still go cross-country in the winter.

It's less of an impact in low-range cars, but it still makes an impact. At cold enough temperatures smart's sub-20kwh battery powers the car further than Leaf/i3 despite having lower mpge ratings and a lot less charge.

smart ed? a joke right? it is not even 1 year old yet. who the heck KNOWS what issues they may or may not have or complain about etc.. we will have to wait 4 or 5 years and see.

The smart ED has been around far longer than Leaf. The current generation is their third that has been in the hands of the public. Gen II smart EDs show the same rate of degradation as Volts and Teslas do--1-2% a year, at most. Gen III is following suite, only 1-2% degradation a year over the two years it has been in the hands of the US (longer overseas). Volt has been around as long as Leaf and their batteries, similarly, show extremely little degradation even with 100k+ miles. I'm not saying everyone should drive a smart, nor am I saying the Leaf is a terrible car, but the Leaf could have been substantially better. At the very least they could add it in as an option, though even that is questionable as people would save on upfront costs but would only hurt themselves after a couple years of degradation.

Electric vehicle batteries should NOT degrade like cell phone batteries, and you need no further proof than how little a Volt's battery degrades with over 100k miles. Changing lithium ion battery chemistry is a bandaid. There is no BEV with air-cooled TMS that comes anywhere close to degradation levels seen in every single BEV with liquid-based TMS.

Very interesting information. My bad on the Smart ED the article I glanced said 2014 so I had assumed (yeah yeah I know assumption) it was brand new for 2014.

1-2% degradation would be wonderful!!

Back