Send Location to my LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
davewill said:
mwalsh said:
BTW, I just realized....best to be a bit tight-lipped about your Carwings login, since Google doesn't need a password... I'm not saying it's anything bad...
That's OK, I will. It's bad. You'd think these guys would have learned by now that if it CAN be abused it WILL be abused. As soon as I have first hand knowledge, you can bet I'll be writing Carwings a nastygram explaining that they need to keep their link to my vehicle secure.

Well, it's somewhat secured in that it's not sent directly to your car...it's available to upload (or download if you want) from the Carwings site.

Hmm....just thought of something....you'll still have to maintain a Carwings account. So that's not going to save you from having to take a paid sub eventually.

I tried the address I sent home. It worked pretty well, and is something you can still do while on the move! ;) I suppose you could give your Carwings ID to trusted folks to send you locations while you have them on the phone - that's something which could be useful!

Looking at this a bit more, it looks like Google just sends the destination info. Some of the other services state that you can contact the service to have them disable the relaying functionality to the car so I'm betting that's how Carwings does it.

I've played with it extensively for the last hour or so and am writing up the promised detailed instructions. I've run into one issue, though - I can't figure out how to delete a 'Send to Car' route from my Carwings account. Note that I can delete the feed retrieved from the vehicle but the next time you connect, it re-downloads.

The Carwings route planner allows you to manage it online... (including deletion) - no such feature for send-to-car. Still digging into it...

Neat stuff!

To completely avoid CarWings - you might try using your car's phone number as the car ID and probably have to go through the list of cars on Google Maps to see if any of the listed cars actual ID is just the car phone number. Just a thought.

Turbo posted earlier about how to find the SIM card for the car and plug it into your phone to learn your car's number.

ETA - If you have your car's phone number - try choosing Citroen as the car to send to - it seems to accept a phone number.

I suspect that the LEAF can only handle "a feed", or the simulated "feed" from CW.

It is unlikely that the LEAF will accept a random message after answering its "phone".

Apparently the LEAF expects one fixed message, asking it to call Carwings.

There might be other messages that the car would respond to, but we do not know about any (yet).

I just created and named a route from my city to a nearby city that avoided Interstate-5. I went out to the car, found the named route in my feeds, and loaded it. It was taking me to the right place, but doing so via I-5. It seems that only the location was sent and not the actual route.

If you know what I might have done wrong, please let me know.

I will try the Google maps method now (thanks sdbonez). If that works, sounds like it would be better to use anyway.

Back