Any interest for a VSP-delete module?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
motor noises from the exterior are nearly silent. Yeah, when driving you can hear that high pitched whine but try having someone drive past you. Its not very apparent. FYI; MANY gassers are very quite these days.
Sound insulation and isolation has gotten better. The engines too of course.

if I told you that I used to type my games' source code into my friend's ZX spectrum out of the latest magazines that would probably give it away ;-)
It would. I coveted one of those. I was stuck with a trash80 from school. It had a cassette attachment though so small win. It’s the machine that I learned that I should never program. Oh wow did I suck.

Last edited:
if I told you that I used to type my games' source code into my friend's ZX spectrum out of the latest magazines that would probably give it away ;-)
Similar though possibly earlier. I postdate the commodore pet but not by all that much. My dentist still had one. The first machine that I owned owned was a Sanyo mbc555. Wow was that a piece of crud. It was affordable though. I understand they’re now quite valuable and are in museums now. I feel old. Thing was a POS though. They put the video memory in the wrong place. Derp.

Last edited:
That ability was removed in 2021.
I didn't realize it was removed. The latest Minimum Sound Requirements for Hybrid and Electric Vehicles rule was active on August 12, 2022 which may have reinterpreted this section from the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act (PSEA) of 2010 Section 3(a)(2) further states that the regulation “shall require manufacturers to provide, within reasonable manufacturing tolerances, the same sound or set of sounds for all vehicles of the same make and model and shall prohibit manufacturers from providing any mechanism for anyone other than the manufacturer or the dealer to disable, alter, replace, or modify the sound or set of sounds.

Maybe there was a rule back in 2020 that also interpreted the ability to use LeafSpy as a "mechanism", so they took out the simple can bus soft switch. Of course, it's still there since the speed controller has to activate it. But it's likely embedded code that is looking at the speed available on the bus, and then triggering the sound within the module. If you can find a way around that, it is interesting.

If anyone has an interest in this topic here is the 2022 rule.

https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...requirements-for-hybrid-and-electric-vehicles

The manufacturers have been pushing for owner selectable sounds, but the agency is pushing back since it changed its basic position on the subject. For those who are not versed in regulation development, this change in position requires the agency to go back and open it up for public comment and then regulation adjustment based on the comments. They can't just change it, it's a long process. But it appears that what they plan to do.

But it's likely embedded code that is looking at the speed available on the bus, and then triggering the sound within the module. If you can find a way around that, it is interesting.

One way around it would be to simply remove the factory VSP module entirely and replace it with a new home-made module that sends the necessary CAN bus frames to keep the combination meter from showing a malfunction light due to the missing original module.

That does seem reasonable. The CAN bus frames should be easy to detect.
They are :)

What I would like to see someone try out is putting a VSP module from a <=2020 model year vehicle (that can be silenced with LeafSpy) into a >=2021 model year vehicle and see if it 'just works'. I even have a VSP module ready to donate to this purpose if any >=2021 model year owner would like to try it.

motor noises from the exterior are nearly silent. Yeah, when driving you can hear that high pitched whine but try having someone drive past you. Its not very apparent. FYI; MANY gassers are very quite these days.
Fart gassers still stink real bad, Dude

Teslas seem to make a sound too, or at least my friend’s “Y” did. This implies it is a required safety feature.

*still wants coconuts though*

Does that ECU do anything else than the sound? I wonder if it can be reflashed with a <2021 version?
Yes, it makes sounds inside the cabin and outside the cabin for various different events, not only ones related to pedestrian safety. It also announces it's presence on the CAN bus to satisfy the combination meter (ie to prevent a VSP error lamp from being displayed).

I would love to see a photo of a =>2020 VSP PCB. I can provide photos of 2011, 2017 and 2018 VSP boards. There is already a good photo of a 2018 PCB in the EEPROM investigation post.

If someone is willing to pop their >=2021 VSP module out and take a high-resolution photo of the board and post it then I will happily do the same for all three of mine.

Where is it located?

Remove 8 torx screws from the glovebox facier (four at the top, four at the bottom). Pull the plastic panel above the footwell off (pull downwards), then pull the glovebox out towards the seat. Don't pull too hard because you'll need to stop and disconnect the lamp. Once the glovebox is out, the VSP module is directly behind it, mounted to the frame inside the 'dashboard'. One more torx screw and the module comes out attached to the bracket. It's encased inside a stamped metal enclosure like shown in this picture.

IMG_20240320_165951_350.jpg

Back