Saw a Leaf on the freeway yesterday

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boomer23 said:
That had to be Omkar (or his wife, not sure which is the racer in their family).

Hey, I just realized that Bonita Canyon is one lane in each direction with double yellow lines for no passing as I recall. How did he pass you?????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bonita Canyon is two lanes each way. I was passed near the toll road entrance while traveling east. We both turned right onto Newport Coast, but he/she turned left toward Turtle Rock or whatever is over there before I could catch up. Okay, Omkar, I will probably see you again out that way; you'll recognize me when I take delivery of my Blue Ocean SL which changed today from April 15 to April 19.

Asides from our own Leaf which I (thankfully) get to see every day, there was a blue one that we spotted on Aurora Ave by the Krispy Kreme last week..

What's a Volt? :D
Speaking of "extended range EVs", the transit agency I work for has just started taking delivery of our new fleet of Orion coaches. Electric-only range = decidedly less than 40 miles... Still impressive none-the-less considering how big these suckers are..

Had my first sighting! I took a picture, but I won't bother to post it, because it's the same car--on the same road, only a little farther down, across from Swami's--as the one in the picture I'd previously posted (that a co-worker took).

Yes, it's our own RedLEAF! Oft spotted, always from behind as she zips around Encinitas.

Confession: I had turned into an Leaf stalker--or a would-be one, anyway. Rumors of a Leaf parking in the lot behind the building across the street from work had me take two passes through there, once on foot, once in car--but no sighting. I'm glad that failed, 'cause this in-the-wild sighting was pretty exciting!

Oops! Our Leaf was NOT built in the U.S. - bad info. Still we LOVE it - no more range anxiety. Totally great car.

Saw two Leafs on the freeway today! Well, both were loaded on the top rack of an autohauler with a bunch of other Nissans heading North on the 57 around 5p today. One was blue, the other white. There may have been more on the lower rack. Maaayyybe they're on their way to ... Fontana Nissan, Alhambra Nissan, or .... ??

At least two Leafers will be very happy in the next day or so. :p

I was thinking that the first one I'd see was my own, but then spotted 3 last week. One red car traveling north on 280 in Palo Alto, one black traveling east on Woodside Road, and finally one blue on 280 near Page Mill. The last two were a couple of days before I got mine - now waiting for someone to see me!

Also saw 2 Volts on one trip about a month ago - none since...

Jay

lonndoggie said:
Had my first sighting! I took a picture, but I won't bother to post it, because it's the same car--on the same road, only a little farther down, across from Swami's--as the one in the picture I'd previously posted (that a co-worker took).

Yes, it's our own RedLEAF! Oft spotted, always from behind as she zips around Encinitas.

Confession: I had turned into an Leaf stalker--or a would-be one, anyway. Rumors of a Leaf parking in the lot behind the building across the street from work had me take two passes through there, once on foot, once in car--but no sighting. I'm glad that failed, 'cause this in-the-wild sighting was pretty exciting!
I also have a Red Leaf and live in Encinitas...It may be mine :).

lonndoggie said:

Yes, it's our own RedLEAF!
BTW, I meant RedFlash, not RedLEAF. Ooops...
syntaxerror said:
I also have a Red Leaf and live in Encinitas...It may be mine :).
Could be, if you also have the "More Pious than a Prius" bumper sticker, because this one did. However, it wasn't RedFlash her own self, it was Mr. RedFlash. I found that out later, talking to my co-worker who took the original photo I'd posted back a ways this thread. The the day I made my sighting he'd seen the car too, more closely, and could see it was a man driving this time.

So once drees, leucadialeaf and I all get ours, we'll have at least five Leafs in little ol' Encinitas! We'll all have to park together at the Encinitas Environment Day event this June at Cottonwood Creek park.

lonndoggie said:
So once drees, leucadialeaf and I all get ours, we'll have at least five Leafs in little ol' Encinitas! We'll all have to park together at the Encinitas Environment Day event this June at Cottonwood Creek park.
Good idea! Hopefully my Leaf arrives by then - ETA got moved to June. :(

+1

Have you seen this:
---
http://www.encinitas101.com/events/the-cottonwood-creek-environmental-film-festival/

Thursday, May 26th: Wherever You Want to Go part of the BMW Activate the Future Series

“Wherever You Want To Go” is the first release under BMW Documentaries—a new franchise dedicated to crafting original, thought-provoking and entertaining content. The film aims to take audiences to a place they’ve truly never been: the future. From the minds of some of the most influential scientists, academics, pioneers, and entrepreneurs of our time, this four-part documentary paints a unique picture of technology, culture, cities, our past, present and how it all relates to the future of mobility.

Included in this special evening is an underground car show from 5:30-7:30pm featuring 10 electric cars and scooters as well as a regional panel discussion from 8:30-9pm on the future of transportation featuring County Supervisor Pam Slater Price and other regional transportation experts.

There she was...coming out of the swirling fog looking like a vision...

OK, what really happened...I was sitting in the left turn lane coming out of the Torrey Hills shopping center around 9AM this morning. Why? Because I went to Subway to pick up breakfast. Why? Because the friendly manager asked me to please work on that nasty bug this weekend. Nevermind that I told him the real problem is in the U/I. Nevermind that he wants next weekend AND the following two weeks out of the country...Nevermind that this is my kids' spring break... (and nevermind that my Leaf is scheduled to show up 5 days into the trip, Grrrr.) So, there I am sitting at a red light with no traffic around, annoyed that I'm going to be eating Subway for breakfast at my desk on Sunday, when this blue hatchback goes across the intersection in front of me...wait, is it? Yes!

It's my first Leaf sighting!!!!! Blue Ocean with cardboard "Mossy" plates. I almost did the stalker thing, and turned right to follow it instead of going on my way...but I didn't, aren't you proud? I had really given up and was getting used to the idea that my Leaf was going to be the first one that I was going to see on the road. That sandwich went down a little easier.

LMW said:
+1

Have you seen this:
---
http://www.encinitas101.com/events/the-cottonwood-creek-environmental-film-festival/
Hey, if all SIX Encinitas Leafs (and counting) show up, we might make our own electric car show!

I also like the part where you roll up in anything that doesn't use gas (skateboard, bike, electric car--no hybrids) and you get a free raffle ticket, too.

Now if I can just get that Leaf delivered, I can keep the skateboard safely tucked away in the garage...

Saw my first wild one this morning, while I was merging from the 22W to 405N at around 8:15am. Caught him in my rear view as I headed over towards the HOV lane. Knew immediately that it was a LEAF, first from the charge port door and then from the chrome strip over the grille opening.

Driver was an Asian chap, who looked familiar but I couldn't swear it was someone I've already met...we only had a moment or two to exchange salutations.

wild_photo.JPG

Saw my first LEAF in the wild today in Belmont, it was a silver leaf (which may be one of the 2 I saw being delivered yesterday to Boardwalk).
The drivers were quite giddy when I waved at them, congratz to my fellow Belmontians.
BTW,right after that I got my own LEAF on Goggle Maps, as I got photographed by the Google-mobile.

Encinitas is known as the Flower Capital of the World; it's starting to look like the Leaf Capital of the World, too.

After not seeing any for ever, now I'm seeing them every day. Saw a blue one turning on to Urania off Leucadia Blvd. last night, and a different blue one (different paper plates) heading up Santa Fe this morning.

Not too surprising, I guess, for a small town that has three of the ten Mini-E's in California.

TLeaf said:
Asides from our own Leaf which I (thankfully) get to see every day, there was a blue one that we spotted on Aurora Ave by the Krispy Kreme last week.

I think that owner, whoever it is, must really like Krispy Kreme. I've seen a blue Leaf there at least twice while heading north on Aurora towards Costco. :)

I saw a Leaf on the freeway Fri. 5/13 on Hwy 50 & Hazel (Sacramento/Rancho Cordova area). It was black from Future Nissan in Roseville, no plates yet. I was in my red Leaf and we both exited at Hazel (I waved & honked, driver smiled). I was moving along a bit faster :lol: On Sat. 5/14, we drove to Berkeley to pick up our son at Cal, then spotted a driver in Berkeley/Albany area in a blue Leaf with the "Zero Emissions" stickers. We were driving our guzzler Expedition because the cargo area in the Leaf isn't meant for moving 2 bikes and loads of crap! Anyway, I was surprised that I spotted 2 cars in 2 days...

VIN 1265
500 miles in 2 wks...

Back