Santa Monica Nissan Screwed me (and others?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PaulScott said:
In the interest of civility on this forum suffice it to say much reason was given; no bullying occurred; and the blogger is in full possession of what hyperbole exists on this thread.

Always nice to hear from the other half of the equation. I kind of figured there might be more to the story.

Beachcliffs said:
PaulScott said:
In the interest of civility on this forum suffice it to say much reason was given; no bullying occurred; and the blogger is in full possession of what hyperbole exists on this thread.

Always nice to hear from the other half of the equation. I kind of figured there might be more to the story.

Yep, I had a feeling too...that's why I wanted to know the credit score/money factor. Thanks Paul!

pokerfan22 said:
I DIDN'T WANT TO GIVE UP THE CAR, SO I LET THEM BULLY ME INTO $4,000 DOWN AND $467 PER MONTH - SUCKS!!!!!
Was there any dealer markup of the money factor ? What money factor did you get & what was your credit rating ?

Since this is your 1st post (and apparently a newbie to internet, given all caps) - I don't know if you did your home work before going to the dealership. Do you understand how lease works ? Did you take the lease worksheet we have posted in this forum and check out what the dealership was offering ?

Leases are complicated with lots of variables that can be changed. Given the lower credit score (than what's need to get the promo rate) and the fact that advertised lease rates don't (ever) include tax, title & destination charges, it SHOULDN'T be a surprise to anyone that you don't actually pay the advertised rate. It sounds like the increased down was probably required to keep the payment from going up more than it did.

Car manufacturers (and indeed dealerships) don't do themselves much of a favor by advertising artificially low lease payments. The Volt forums are clamoring over the same thing.

There's advertised monthly "best case, no fees" lease, and then there's what it actually totals up as. An informed buyer should have all this already figured out, and there are some excellent spreadsheets on the net to compute the real lease costs.

I expect to arrive with my FICO score in-hand, totals pre-calculated to within a buck or two.

The leasing spreadsheets and money factors here seem to cover this. And if i use those and use a Tier 1 money factor from that thread, i can't seem to arrive at $4K down, although I do arrive at a $467 monthly payment on my SL-e quote with $2K down payment. Destination fee, tax and acquisition fee are all accounted for on the spreadsheet and match my lease quote. I'd be curious to see how they arrived at those numbers- i'm about to go through the same thing with this dealer, and hope to have a better outcome.

GroundLoop said:
Car manufacturers (and indeed dealerships) don't do themselves much of a favor by advertising artificially low lease payments. The Volt forums are clamoring over the same thing.
My payment was within 50 cents of the figure I had calculated (using the sheet posted in the lease thread here).

Ofcourse, dealers can make life easy by telling clearly what money factor they are using and why. But, if they are marking up the money factor I see a greate deal of incentive in keeping everything as opaque as possible (remember it took Rairdon's quite a bit of pushback before even admitting to have marked up the rate).

Mine was actually about 20 bucks less than I calculated and expected using the sheet, due to a lowered total cap cost, so I'm quite happy...

evnow said:
My payment was within 50 cents of the figure I had calculated (using the sheet posted in the lease thread here).

I am not commenting on rather Santa Monica Nissan is good or bad, but their customers would have done a lot of good if they participated more in the forum, which would 1) possibly pick a different dealer to begin with 2) earn some creditability with their complaints.

Newcomer wanting to vent on a dissatisfaction is fine too, but don't "hit and run", have a civil discussion here...they don't call this a "forum" for nothing.

Live in santa monica, but ordered elsewhere.....duh ..doesn't take long to learn not to purchase anything in this town. (and pay a higher sales tax too?)

Been here 30 years and learned how terrible SM Nissan is, was etc...

Contacted SM Nissan re purchase on Leaf, was givin price with NO room to negotiate, Take or Leave it.

OK, i left it. Ordered at another so cal dealership for $3K less.

BTW, when time comes to pick up car and Cal reduces $5k rebate (as they are discussing to do) , Ill cancel order.

We were quoted a price under specific conditions (which included a $5k Cal rebate)

Send the morons a message.

im out.

Just a comment for those who may be confused: In California, on a vehicle purchase, you pay the sales tax of the address at which you are registering the vehicle regardless of where you purchase it. This was done to prevent cities with lower sales tax from cannibalizing vehicle sales...

imnoputz said:
Live in santa monica, but ordered elsewhere.....duh ..doesn't take long to learn not to purchase anything in this town. (and pay a higher sales tax too?)

imnoputz said:
BTW, when time comes to pick up car and Cal reduces $5k rebate (as they are discussing to do) , Ill cancel order.

We were quoted a price under specific conditions (which included a $5k Cal rebate)

im out.
Which morons would that be? The dealer? They'll sell your orphan so quick they won't even have time to admire it on their showroom floor. Nissan? They won't even know. The government? Ditto.

davewill said:
Which morons would that be? The dealer? They'll sell your orphan so quick they won't even have time to admire it on their showroom floor. Nissan? They won't even know. The government? Ditto.
Unfortunately, I have to agree. Now, if there were a competing ZEV product available, then switching from Nissan to the competition would indeed send a message.

PaulScott said:
EVDRIVER said, "What did your sales person say, please don't tell me it's the guy who was the EV advocate, that would really be the icing on the cake." and further "Perhaps he has gone to the dark side."

I take offense at these comments. You don't know me, and for you to make these kinds of disparaging comments about me in a public forum when you have no basis for doing so borders on liable. For the record, I had nothing to do with this transaction. Please leave me out of it. If you persist in denigrating my name in this forum, I will seek counsel and you, and whoever moderates this forum, will be taken to court.

I've worked too hard to get EVs back in the market for someone who can't even use his real name to drag my name and reputation through the mud.

Actually Paul, since he didn't mention you by name, you have absolutely no legal standing to pursue a claim. Quit trying to intimidate people online. You are in the sales business, supposedly.

On another note, when I contacted you to buy a car and was totally turned off by your lack of competitive pricing. I asked if you would match Fontana's offer, and you said Santa Monica deserved to charge more because they would be my point of contact for future service.

Well, point of fact, I intend on having no contact with your dealership. I think threatening to take someone to court over the above referenced comment was a bit reactionary and unwarranted.

Beachcliffs said:
davewill said:
Unfortunately, I have to agree. Now, if there were a competing ZEV product available, then switching from Nissan to the competition would indeed send a message.
And just how is switching to another ZEV supposed to send a message about CA changing their rebate?

imnoputz said:

Who quoted what price ? You should contact your representative and crib about the $5k rebate, if that is your taget.

davewill said:
And just how is switching to another ZEV supposed to send a message about CA changing their rebate?
Message would not be about rebate, but to Nissan about how they have handled the roll-out. The state is pretty much doing what they said they would do all along.

This is one funny thread. It doesn't take a genius to figure out thet SM Nissan is a shady dealer. If the gift card bait and switch doesn't convince you, then the clown salesman threating to sue should.

BudRaymond said:
On another note, when I contacted you to buy a car and was totally turned off by your lack of competitive pricing. I asked if you would match Fontana's offer, and you said Santa Monica deserved to charge more because they would be my point of contact for future service.

Depending on how the actual sale goes... I'm intending to give Fontana most if not all of my business. The local LA Nissan shops have been... snooty? pretentious? high and mighty? (I am not a Santa Monica Nissan customer nor have I ever contacted them so this doesn't reference them)

They basically scoffed at me when I told them about Fontana's pricing.

But other LA area Nissan dealers have been that way... cough cough... you know who you are.

Back