Santa Monica Nissan Screwed me (and others?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many people have helped in many ways to move EVs forward and the percentages of contribution are irrelevant and have nothing to do with the topic of this thread or the way one handles a situation.
Well said. Thanks for your post.

EdmondLeaf said:
Leaf quality is very good, but delivery slow and tier 3 reservation (NC, GA, FL) delayed by 7 - 8 months. What will be the reason, in my opinion USA (CA especially) response is not what Nissan expected therefore, they going slow.
There's no demand issue presently. Nissan will sell every LEAF they can manufacture for at least the next 12 months. Nissan decided to focus on Japanese domestic demand in Feb with 2,593 units. Clearly the earthquake, tsunami, and reactor situations will impact LEAF scaling even further.

ENIAC said:
EdmondLeaf said:
Leaf quality is very good, but delivery slow and tier 3 reservation (NC, GA, FL) delayed by 7 - 8 months. What will be the reason, in my opinion USA (CA especially) response is not what Nissan expected therefore, they going slow.
There's no demand issue presently. Nissan will sell every LEAF they can manufacture for at least the next 12 months. Nissan decided to focus on Japanese domestic demand in Feb with 2,593 units. Clearly the earthquake, tsunami, and reactor situations will impact LEAF scaling even further.
I agree this is of topic here but served it purpose. Agree with you on 12 months but there should be life after that, and who knows what happen with rebates/credit so we should do more to promote EV so they will keep coming.

EdmondLeaf said:
I agree this is of topic here but served it purpose. Agree with you on 12 months but there should be life after that and who knows if with rebates/credit and we will not do more to promote EV

At this point it looks like I might be promoting EV by going with a different manufacturer. Nissan's refusal to keep certain early adapters informed is making me seriously reconsider whether the company is worthy of my continued support. They got what they needed out of many of us (a large reservation and order list). Now, their agenda seems to have moved beyond rewarding those that spread the word early on in the process.

Beachcliffs said:
Now, their agenda seems to have moved beyond rewarding those that spread the word early on in the process.
Huh ?! I must have missed that - I thought I was keeping track of what was happening.

evnow said:
Beachcliffs said:
Now, their agenda seems to have moved beyond rewarding those that spread the word early on in the process.
Huh ?! I must have missed that - I thought I was keeping track of what was happening.

Yes, it was a leap. But, I am not sure how else to explain the September/October orders that are now behind January February orders. Nissan still has time to make it right. We'll just have to wait and see.

Beachcliffs said:
But, I am not sure how else to explain the September/October orders that are now behind January February orders.
System Problems ? No need for a grand conspiration theory.

evnow said:
Beachcliffs said:
But, I am not sure how else to explain the September/October orders that are now behind January February orders.
System Problems ? No need for a grand conspiration theory.

If they were a bit more transparent and forthcoming, there would be no need for such suppositions. But, by withholding information that would not be all that difficult to provide, Nissan opens the door to such speculation, no?

At the rate they are selling them and considering all the states that have yet to be eligible to purchase, it seems to me they have enough customers for several years. Some customers will be unhappy with the process, others will take it in stride. Of the unhappy ones, some will buy when it finally arrives and the car is more likely to be the source of their long term sentiments than the process. Others may back out.

SteveInSeattle said:
At the rate they are selling them and considering all the states that have yet to be eligible to purchase, it seems to me they have enough customers for several years. Some customers will be unhappy with the process, others will take it in stride. Of the unhappy ones, some will buy when it finally arrives and the car is more likely to be the source of their long term sentiments than the process. Others may back out.
Apologize for my earlier comment that I submitted without checking. I just corrected it. True, rate of selling is low but what is reason for that. In my opinion Nissan do not want to go full speed with production if forecast for future demand is not very promising. Than you want to buy some time and decide what do do next. Leaf is heavily discounted right now but at some point of time credit will expire and regular customer have to pay full price. I still believe early states will determine future of Leaf in USA. I do not believe in any conspiracy what is good reason for car company to keep unsold inventory?

Beachcliffs said:
If they were a bit more transparent and forthcoming, there would be no need for such suppositions. But, by withholding information that would not be all that difficult to provide, Nissan opens the door to such speculation, no?
The way I figure it, I'm special-ordering a car from a foreign manufacturer - and it hasn't cost me a penny so far. It'll be here when it's here - and it'll arrive at just the right time. In the mean time I'll just keep on keeping on.

When I feel the absolute need for in-transit visibility, I'll order something and have it shipped UPS. :lol:

Hang in there - (sing along) Boats on the water...pushed by a tsunami... ;)

FORGET THE $500 GIFT CARD - THAT'S NOTHING!! YOU WANT TO KNOW HOW I GOT SCREWED? THAT SAME TONI MARTIN WHO'S NAME IS LISTED IN ONE OF THE OTHER POSTS QUOTED ME A LEASE PRICE OF $1,999 DOWN AND $379 PER MONTH. YESTERDAY (AFTER A YEAR ON THE WAITING LIST) I WENT TO PICK UP MY CAR. THE SCUMMY SALES GUY - 'MITCH' WOULD NOT HONOR THAT PRICE!!!! NO REASON GIVEN, OTHER THAN 'THE CAR IS IN DEMAND' - I AM MOST LIKELY GOING TO FILE A LAWSUIT. I DIDN'T WANT TO GIVE UP THE CAR, SO I LET THEM BULLY ME INTO $4,000 DOWN AND $467 PER MONTH - SUCKS!!!!! THEY ARE LYING BASTARDS, I WOULD RECOMMEND THAT NO-ONE GIVE ANY BUSINESS OF ANY KIND TO SANTA MONICA NISSAN. THIS WAS THE WORST CAR-BUYING (LEASING) EXPERIENCE EVER. NISSAN USA BETTER REFUND THE DIFFERENCE ($5,000 FOR MY 36 MONTH LEASE - A 30% PRICE GOUGE) OR i WILL SUE AND WIN.

Pokerfan - If "the car is in demand" is the real reason, then you are probably correct. However, dealers usually protect themselves with "subject to credit" language. Do you have the original quote in writing, did they run your credit when making the quote?

pokerfan22 said:
FORGET THE $500 GIFT CARD - THAT'S NOTHING!! YOU WANT TO KNOW HOW I GOT SCREWED? THAT SAME TONI MARTIN WHO'S NAME IS LISTED IN ONE OF THE OTHER POSTS QUOTED ME A LEASE PRICE OF $1,999 DOWN AND $379 PER MONTH. YESTERDAY (AFTER A YEAR ON THE WAITING LIST) I WENT TO PICK UP MY CAR. THE SCUMMY SALES GUY - 'MITCH' WOULD NOT HONOR THAT PRICE!!!! NO REASON GIVEN, OTHER THAN 'THE CAR IS IN DEMAND' - I AM MOST LIKELY GOING TO FILE A LAWSUIT. I DIDN'T WANT TO GIVE UP THE CAR, SO I LET THEM BULLY ME INTO $4,000 DOWN AND $467 PER MONTH - SUCKS!!!!! THEY ARE LYING BASTARDS, I WOULD RECOMMEND THAT NO-ONE GIVE ANY BUSINESS OF ANY KIND TO SANTA MONICA NISSAN. THIS WAS THE WORST CAR-BUYING (LEASING) EXPERIENCE EVER. NISSAN USA BETTER REFUND THE DIFFERENCE ($5,000 FOR MY 36 MONTH LEASE - A 30% PRICE GOUGE) OR i WILL SUE AND WIN.

Was this an orphan or did you have a RAQ and Acceptance letter from them through the Nissan order process? What money factor did they give you vs. your credit score?

This and other similar threads has made me thing about where I am going to go when it is service time...
It seems that all the Nissan dealers in Los Angeles suck to at least some extent and for different reasons...

For those of you in Los Angeles, where do you plan to go for service, why, and what has your service experience, if any, been with that dealer?

First, try some decaf.

Now, you need to read the fine print on the lease promotion. No one is forcing you to buy or lease a car. Walk away.

pokerfan22 said:
If you were not satisfied with the deal or it did not match your RAQ you should not have signed.
Good luck with any resolution.

In the interest of civility on this forum suffice it to say much reason was given; no bullying occurred; and the blogger is in full possession of what hyperbole exists on this thread.

The quoted payment on the Leaf web site is for a Tier 0 rate, which is 730 and above. Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp. only looks at the Trans Union credit score, if one has a credit score under 730, they would qualify for a Tier 1 rate. The range for tier 1 is 690 to 729. Neither this store nor its affiliates have either the autonomy or the ability to affect the scores issued by the Trans Union Fico scoring system.

In addition there are other fees, which vary in amounts and have nothing to do with the credit score. The destination and handling fee, tax and license are not included in either the down payment or the monthly payment as stated in the disclosure on the Leaf web site.

From the leaf web site:
”Cost of the home installation dock, processing fees, tax title license, destination & handling charges are not included. The value of any trade-ins will be determined and applied at a later date.”

In the current transaction being complained of, Santa Monica Nissan went above and beyond in providing this coustomer with a rental car for the last six months. The rate that he enjoyed for this rental was at half the market rate that a rental agency would have charged for the same or similar vehicle. We did this to accomodate our customer so he would have transportation while waiting for the delivery of his Leaf. There was aproximately thirteen hundred dollars ($1300) that this coustomer saved over the six months, which conversely amouted to a cost that Santa Monica Nissan absorbed.

Back