Said goodbye to the Leaf yesterday

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've watched (with some amount of amusement and a small amount of chagrin :? ) the responses to my original post. Mixed with the cogent and well thought out comments are the "defend the Leaf under all circumstances" responses that Clippy referred to.

Lets all remember that the purpose of my post was to relate my personal experience. My Leaf was ordered the DAY it became possible to order it. I was an enthusiastic early adopter. As an electrical engineer myself, I had a pretty good understanding of battery technology and what it meant to be an early EV adopter. My goal (that I share with many of you on this forum) was to get as completely off the grid as possible. I fact I was in a battle with my city council to get them to allow solar panels on my roof while all this was unfolding.

Here's where I really feel Nissan fell short.

1. The advertisement of the 100-mile range, in fact even when we test drove the car (and fell in love with it) during the tour was I believe deceptive. And when the EPA estimates came out, this was borne out. For all of you that are going to jump on this and say I don't know how to drive an EV, I've been driving hybrids for the last 8 years, and even did some hypermiling to boot. At the end of the day in TX the range is about 65-70 miles with 3 passengers and the AC running. That too with not exceeding 60mph on the highway.

2. While I was willing to live with all that, the loss of capacity really brought this car to the
brink of becoming unusable. For those of you that are not familiar with the DFW area, its urban
sprawl to the extreme. While I did not expect to be able to drive anywhere in the metro,
a 12-15 mile loss of range when you had only 65-70 to start with is crippling. This coupled
with the fact that there are NO Quick Charge stations yet, not even at the Nissan dealerships.

3. As many of you on this board would agree, Nissan's response to this issue has been appalling to say the least.
Its funny to see a company make the same mistake that so many other large
corporations have made. A quick, effective response would have been to offer to convert these problem cars
to leases for example. Or offer a battery replacement if the capacity fell below 80% in 3 years or less. Any of these
would heve effectively quelled these concerns and made them look golden. Well one would think all the highly
compensated MBA types would have learnt something from their case studies :)

And to answer a question I did not seriously consider the Volt because of price.

ravi100 said:
... Or offer a battery replacement if the capacity fell below 80% in 3 years or less. ...
Nissan still has a chance to do that ... let's see ... another 522 days to go (to 3 yrs from 1st delivery). On the other hand ... 80% will come a lot sooner for some (many). And it might be smart for Nissan to make some sort of announcement before a 3rd-capacity-bar-loss is widely reported.

LEAFer said:
ravi100 said:
... Or offer a battery replacement if the capacity fell below 80% in 3 years or less. ...
Nissan still has a chance to do that ... let's see ... another 522 days to go (to 3 yrs from 1st delivery).
Not really. Several LEAFs are already below 80%. Their owners are either weighing their options or have already cut their losses.

If Nissan sits on their hands for another 522 days, they will lose a serious amount of good faith, IMO.

So I wonder, how are other electric cars in Arizona heat? Tesla roadster been out for a while, I am sure there other electrics that can give us some data.

IBELEAF said:
So I wonder, how are other electric cars in Arizona heat? Tesla roadster been out for a while, I am sure there other electrics that can give us some data.
Tesla Roadster owner reports ~4% loss of range after 3 years and 22k miles: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=210352#p210352" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems to be worse than average, compared to other Roadsters, for 22k miles of use, but about average for 3 years of use referring to the charts here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/6491-Roadster-Owner-Based-Study-of-Battery-Pack-Capacity-Over-Time?p=147929&viewfull=1#post147929" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@ravi100 there is actually a few QC chargers in the DFW area. Not as many as one would have hoped atm, and they do come with a monthly plan, but, technically there is. And, to date, there are 7 in the metroplex. Luckly, most of them are spread around to help extend the range of the leaf. So, we in DFW are more fortunate than those in Arizona, which, if I recall don't have any QC's.

There are 3 QC stations in the Phoenix metro area. Just used the 'Bell Ford' one yesterday. Not very many, but the 'Bell Ford' and 'Riverview Toyota' units are placed near major highways, pretty easy to get to, and available on weekends and early workday evenings. The one in downtown Phoenix works well during the normal work week.

Locations at http://www.blinknetwork.com

phxsmiley said:
There are 3 QC stations in the Phoenix metro area. Just used the 'Bell Ford' one yesterday. Not very many, but the 'Bell Ford' and 'Riverview Toyota' units are placed near major highways, pretty easy to get to, and available on weekends and early workday evenings. The one in downtown Phoenix works well during the normal work week.

sooo, let me get this straight; you have a DCFC that can ONLY be used with a MiEV or a LEAF at a Ford and Toyota dealership?

DaveinOlyWA said:
phxsmiley said:

sooo, let me get this straight; you have a DCFC that can ONLY be used with a MiEV or a LEAF at a Ford and Toyota dealership?

I knew that would get someone's attention! Crazy, huh? The Toyota dealership is right next to the Nissan dealer; The Ford dealiership is 1 away from the Nissan dealer. My personal thinking is that Nissan can't have Blink chargers on their lot, so they worked out something with these other dealers.

Went to the Ford dealer yesterday to charge. Staff was very friendly, and excited about their Ford Focus Electric that will someday show up. I'm not sure if they knew it wasn't going to work on that Blink QC, but I'm very glad to have the QC available.

ravi100 said:
And to answer a question I did not seriously consider the Volt because of price.
Sorry to hear about your Leaf experience. That's one of the reasons we leased our Leaf. Since you didn't get a Volt because of the price, did you consider a regular Prius? Or, at about the same price of the Sonata Ultimate package you might have been able to even get a Plug-in Prius. Not that it really matters because you already have the Sonata, but I'm just curious if you considered the Prius?

Shaun

I completely understand the uncertainty you felt with what you were seeing - less range. I hope the next owner gets whatever Nissan's corrective action will be - if there's anything coming (I think it's more likely than not).

ravi100 said:
the fact that there are NO Quick Charge stations yet, not even at the Nissan dealerships.

There are 7 active QC stations in the DFW Metroplex (with another 3-4 coming in the next week or so). I have used the ones in Arlington frequently and am going to try out the new one at Precinct and 183 this weekend. Thanks to eVgo, Houston and Dallas are getting very substantial Quick Charge networks, they are even free for now. Check your "fact"s.

QC stations.. actually i did not know that! Though if they only come with a monthly plan I don't think
it would have been an option for me.

Did I consider the Prius? yes actually my other car is a 2011 Prius. I considered the Camry Hybrid but not the Prius
because even though the mileage is unbeatable, the ride is really disappointing. I've had the Sonata for a few weeks
and I'm getting right around 40mpg. But the ride is like that of a lexus e350...fantastic.

With any kind of emerging technology, there are risks. We all chose to accept them based upon the benefits provided, like not having to pay for gasoline. That's still a pretty compelling formula.

I find that my Leaf fits my needs perfectly as a local-use 'grocery getter' and roundtrip, point-to-point commuter vehicle.

Ultimately, a car with a sub-100 mile range isn't for everyone. As long as there is a charging station at my destination that I can utilize to re-charge while I am at work, I'm sure that I'll get many useful years out of our purchase, and saving $600/mo in gasoline doesn't suck, either. That's like getting a $5-10k/yr raise.

Honestly, I think the answer is to LEASE rather than BUY, and that way you mitigate your risk exposure to 39 mos. Surely most of us can work out what we want or need (or don't want) in that timeframe, and if it turns out to be a 'less than optimal' decision, so what? So was the competition yellow corvete that got 13 mpg, held no groceries and carried only 2 passengers.

Yes, range and battery life are tied at the hip, and they will continue to be issues - just like mechanical failures in regular non-EV cars. Still plenty of those, too.

Our previous vehicle was a Land Rover Range Rover HSE. V8, 12-16mpg, $125 to fill the tank and that got us ~340 miles. Commutting 100 miles a day round trip is filling up 2x a week, and burning through the residual fuel on Sat/Sun.

I do the same 100 miles a day for $3/day in electricity now, and if it's even that much I'd be surprised. A number of QC stations in this part of the country are no-cost. Many are sponsored by companies or the State. The QC station that is in the garage at work is free (CharePoint network).

I've been pretty happy so far.

mkjayakumar said:
$600/month savings in gasoline ? Thats over 4K miles month. Can't do that if it is a grocery getter..

LTLFTcomposite said:
It's hard to go wrong when your TCO is $100 a month less than the fuel cost alone for your previous vehicle.
That's why my neighbor (and several of his friends) just leased a 2012 LEAF (for something like $250/month)!

Back