Said goodbye to the Leaf yesterday

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is exactly the reason I decided to swap out my 2011 purchased Leaf with 4600 miles and noticeable range loss, charging started to give me 9 of 12 on 80% charge so I did it before I lost a bar, came out with a 2012 lease with the same payments, just did not want to give up the leaf experience. I test drove a volt and liked it but there seems to be so much to go wrong in that car, also only 4 seats and not as much luggage space for me as the leaf and expensive too! Also I really don't want to go back to the gas station for them to say, told you so!
I'm in Palm Springs, very hot!
Although leasing is not in my blood being an Englishman, it's the American way!

djchrispaul said:
This is exactly the reason I decided to swap out my 2011 purchased Leaf with 4600 miles and noticeable range loss, charging started to give me 9 of 12 on 80% charge so I did it before I lost a bar, came out with a 2012 lease with the same payments, just did not want to give up the leaf experience. I test drove a volt and liked it but there seems to be so much to go wrong in that car, also only 4 seats and not as much luggage space for me as the leaf and expensive too! Also I really don't want to go back to the gas station for them to say, told you so!

To add to this, my Nissan dealer was telling me about a 250 mile range Infinity due in 2015?

So, is there any degradation for Leaf owners in colder states?

I don't drive much, still under 12k with 15 month ownership and range, without doing any scientific tests, seems the same.

IBELEAF said:
So, is there any degradation for Leaf owners in colder states? I don't drive much, still under 12k with 15 month ownership and range, without doing any scientific tests, seems the same.
No degradation so far even for heavy users (over 20k miles in less than a year).

evnow said:
No degradation so far even for heavy users (over 20k miles in less than a year).

That's good to know! I've been contemplating selling Leaf before the value drops too much with 2013 model coming out, but at the same time I don't know what to get that would be as cost effective, efficient and fun. Volt would be at least $10k more and I am sure it would drop value even faster then Leaf. Current hybrids are just not interesting to me. I test drove Prius V recently and it was a uninspiring and choppy ride, aside from high price. I am waiting for C-Max & Fusion plug-ins and hoping they would deliver on all requirements.

Agreed. We were looking to replace the Acura and test drove the V. Both of us walked away completely unimpressed.

IBELEAF said:
I test drove Prius V recently and it was a uninspiring and choppy ride, aside from high price.

I live in SoCal and have 22K on SL delivered June 11 2011 and charge usually to 90-100% at home and work, 80% a few times a month on purpose. I didn't notice much change until the update in June 2012 at annual check (which showed best possible marks for battery). Since the "update" event I lose my first bar sooner, usually within 5 miles of a 100% charge. The meter range is nominally less than it used to be after the same trip to or from work, but it charges faster than the estimated time. I don't typically discharge completely so don't know if I really have any capacity loss, but some of my apparent loss may be just the way they reset the charging and the meter. They gave me a 2012 Owner's Manual, so presumably they reset my 2011 to 2012 specs. Anyone know whether the new charging regimen just uses less of battery capacity to help extend battery life?

Charles

I have to admit being in the same conundrum, accept that I'd have to add that the Tesla S is calling, but feels like way more car than we need/want. If there were a less sporty version of the S starting about 10K less than the current S base (minus air suspension and performance wheels), we'd have fewer reservations. my concern at this point is that by the end of another summer or two we are going to have early capacity drop showing up in Leafs all across the lower US states, taking a major hit on resale value even up here. we are now having to face whether this car will really meet our needs for the long run or if we should sell now and cut our losses and wait till the EV market matures a bit. Nissan's handling of this has really caused us to do a double take.

IBELEAF said:
evnow said:

That's good to know! I've been contemplating selling Leaf before the value drops too much with 2013 model coming out, but at the same time I don't know what to get that would be as cost effective, efficient and fun. Volt would be at least $10k more and I am sure it would drop value even faster then Leaf. Current hybrids are just not interesting to me. I test drove Prius V recently and it was a uninspiring and choppy ride, aside from high price. I am waiting for C-Max & Fusion plug-ins and hoping they would deliver on all requirements.

I'm starting to see 9 bars on occasion when I charge to 80 percent but don't know if it is significant or not. Not having my Gid meter any more (it was stolen), I don't have any actual numbers to tie to it... Since I'm leasing though, it doesn't really concern me much.

my concern at this point is that by the end of another summer or two we are going to have early capacity drop showing up in Leafs all across the lower US states,

I think you way overstate the evidence.
there are a few cars in Arizona and even fewer in Texas.
you make it sound as if this is an epidemic, when it is an indicator that bears watching for folks not in areas where 100-degree+ is common.

djchrispaul said:
djchrispaul said:

To add to this, my Nissan dealer was telling me about a 250 mile range Infinity due in 2015?

This Infiniti (note proper spelling. Not a knock on you dj, many people misspell the word) could only be the production version of the Infiniti LE Concept. Except if that car gets a 250 mile range, I'll eat it! Announced specs on the concept car give it a battery pack the same kWh capacity as the LEAF's. Many of us are expecting that Infiniti/Nissan will build more range into the car than the LEAF has, they must do so to sell it at the expected price point, but nothing near 250 miles.

Attachments

• aIMG_8648.jpg
    aIMG_8648.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 111
Boomer23 said:
djchrispaul said:
djchrispaul said:

This Infiniti (note proper spelling. Not a knock on you dj, many people misspell the word) could only be the production version of the Infiniti LE Concept. Except if that car gets a 250 mile range, I'll eat it! Announced specs on the concept car give it a battery pack the same kWh capacity as the LEAF's. Many of us are expecting that Infiniti/Nissan will build more range into the car than the LEAF has, they must do so to sell it at the expected price poiint, but nothing near 250 miles.

Well maybe they forsee a better battery the size of the LEAF? which could mean a better range Leaf in 2015, but i'm not trying to start a what if here! Just the dealer and a few others at the dealership said they had info/seen a memo/spoke to a higher up, who knows, maybe even said it to make mee feel good about my LEAF Lease!
We shall see!

mwalsh said:
They were talking about 150 miles for the LE. Same pack size as the LEAF, but improvements in chemistry and density.

Size is a dangerous word in this context. Some will assume physical size while others will assume kWh size. I'm assuming that you meant physically the same size, but with larger kWh size to support more range. Correct me if I am wrong.

If it makes it to even 90 miles on the EPA test, I'll be very surprised!

Boomer23 said:
Many of us are expecting that Infiniti/Nissan will build more range into the car than the LEAF has, they must do so to sell it at the expected price poiint, but nothing near 250 miles.

palmermd said:
Size is a dangerous word in this context. Some will assume physical size while others will assume kWh size. I'm assuming that you meant physically the same size, but with larger kWh size to support more range. Correct me if I am wrong.

Can't say...wasn't disclosed. Tom T...they were talking about 100 miles real world/EPA.

TomT said:
I'm starting to see 9 bars on occasion when I charge to 80 percent but don't know if it is significant or not. Not having my Gid meter any more (it was stolen), I don't have any actual numbers to tie to it... Since I'm leasing though, it doesn't really concern me much.

I'm at 250 Gid this 72F morning. About 88%. This very closely matches my current range profile, therefore I'm on the 85% range chart.

Back